mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
not your average redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Not holding on to the pump allows to bolt to move back when firing. This closes the passageway between the valve and upper tube, reducing the noise.
Doesn't not holding the pump handle reduce the fps though? or is that must a myth?
Like Us on FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/#!/TSMPaintball
tippmannrocker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Hehe, sorry to derail this for a little bit, but I'm still concerned

How does the bolt moving back close off the valve? You mean, when the bolt moves back, the air passageway that connects the valve opening/output to the bore behind the valve? In that case, I get it. I'll have to try that! Seems like one must be careful though - obviously moving the bolt too much towards the open position could screw things up, such as letting the bolt slide back just as one pulls the trigger, thus closing the valve port off early and decreasing fps.

I know, for a fact mind you that when it comes to nelsons, having the breach even the smallest bit will reduce fps. But a sniper isn't a nelson, although I must say the reason I've added all my return springs is to, on the ccm make it easier for me to a/t (my pref, that's all), but on the others keep the bore sealed so I don't lose fps. Actually that has been somewhat of a recently development - things changed when I started using hpa 90% of the time over co2 due to local availability/cost. Never noticed a need for the springs with co2, so now this is all making sense... Given co2's low, compared to hpa, rate of expansion, maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyways, thanks for the tips guys!
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippmannrocker90 View Post
Doesn't not holding the pump handle reduce the fps though? or is that must a myth?
not holding the pump handle loweres the fps on all of the snipers that I have ever owned. It is not enough that it really matters and the sound signature is quieter but I always chrono holding the pump forward. I do use a light return spring.
paintball_fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_fiend View Post
not holding the pump handle loweres the fps on all of the snipers that I have ever owned. It is not enough that it really matters and the sound signature is quieter but I always chrono holding the pump forward. I do use a light return spring.
Depends on the set up. It makes no difference in FPS on one of my guns. I do have a medium return spring. It does greatly reduce the sound on that gun. The gun was annoying loud and since I pretty much always hold the pump handle I wanted to figure something else out. I'm now using a modified jam bolt for the same effect. It works remarkably well and it's one of the most consistent guns I've ever owned.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Gotten my old a$$ '97 cocker out and running (only body/bb actually from 97 tho). Honestly, it must be specific to loud cockers, because the only thing I don't get holding the pump forward when shooting is a loss in efficiency. Makes no difference in terms of sound for me, the shooter, or the target downrange, the significant other

I thought it might be as I've got it up for CO2, running LP at just about 200psi, given co2 takes bit longer to expand than hpa2, but I noticed no difference when I switched to hpa. In both cases I was running an aka valve/volumizer along with an al lightening bolt. the hammer was of the rex adjustable variety. to note I did switch inline regs and valve stems/cup seals when going from co2 to hpa as I didn't wait very long. Same operatives pressure was calibrated though, and I noticed a small drop in velocity when using hpa, like 5-10fps

So, yea, makes me think this only applies to some guns. I'll see what happens when I break out the old 2004 black magic body cocker sunday, as I've set it up for HP operation (again CO2, but using a hp pps valve, stock bolt and tungsten hammer), so maybe that'll make a diff?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The results definitely vary on the gun, both in parts used and how they are tuned. Most that I've come across fps goes down when not holding the pump. My regular gun, there is no difference. I've had one where not holding the pump caused an increase in fps. Made me look like an idiot. I was explaining to the guy why he should hold the pump forward when chrono-ing. His gun wasn't very consistant, but the average fps went up around 10fps. Weird.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

I use a Palmer LT valve and spring, Freeflow hammer, deluxe valve nut with the oring, blue hammer spring and a freak bored 14" UL on my halved outkast. Quietest pump on the field. It's like a blow dart
Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

love that LT valve, and happy to another using a ff hammer - is yours also their tungsten model
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
love that LT valve, and happy to another using a ff hammer - is yours also their tungsten model
yeah heavy tungsten great for half blocks
Old 11-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I just turn the velocity down to like 200 FPS and bingo, ninja mode. Gotta shoot em in the neck at point blank for maximum ninja effect, and to make sure it breaks
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers