mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Pump Markers (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/pump-markers/)
-   -   Making a pump quieter (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/pump-markers/213888-making-pump-quieter.html)

240SX 09-18-2012 11:32 PM

Making a pump quieter

So I bought a mid block Autococker pump with a wgp kit on it and I would like to know what my options are to make it quieter.

-=ArchAngel=- 09-19-2012 12:27 AM

raincover hehehehe

senghing27 09-19-2012 12:30 AM

mess with the springing, find a quieter barrel, throw paint at people?

Hawkeye20 09-19-2012 12:43 AM

The deadlywind barrels are very quiet. The quietest pump setup I have ever heard was a thumper with a deadlywind null on it.

canuckistani 09-19-2012 12:44 AM

Carbon barrel will be very quiet.

toymachine 09-19-2012 02:51 AM

A ported barrel will probably be your best bet. A 12" or 14" barrel some say will make your gun quieter but tbh I've never experience much of different barrels being more or less quieter. Unless one is taking porting into account. Generally more porting = quieter shots at cost of slight loss of efficiency (you're probably running CA so this isn't really an issue with a pump). Raincover or home-make (illegal) silence are you're most significant options. Find a barrel with lots of porting and try that (Deadly Wind barrels do have ample porting). Super LP might also reduce sound, but not necessarily (and almost certainly not as much as - at least not more than - a super highly ported barrel). In that case look into the Tornado valve and AKA internals generally, but particularly that valve. A good spring combo might help, but again, I'd say barrel is much more significant. And LP operation via something like the Tornado would also probably do more than springing alone.

Highly ported 12" barrel + raincover + paint to bore/barrel match + Tornado valve + springs for your new LP setup to run inline reg @ approx 150-175psi for Tornado + ear muff = quietest shot

Personally I'd just do with a ported barrel, an inline reg and new springs to run at lower pressures and run with it. I wouldn't buy the Tornado valve unless I had money to burn. I wouldn't buy a raincover just for this sort of setup, although it I had one already or ran across a cheap one I'd use it. Paint to barrel match is sort of a given.

Ear muffs are key to quiet operation in any weather.

shredxcam 09-19-2012 09:22 AM

18 inch j&j edge barrel. The newer style
Tune it
Put a muffler on it -_-
Wooooosh bear whole?

Lower pressure might help with ccm or similar internals and springs

Grendel 09-19-2012 09:35 AM

Are you willing to sacrifice efficiency for quiet? Lowering your operating pressure will definitely quiet down your marker but the lower your operating pressure the less efficient it will become. In addition when you shoot for lower pressure it gets harder to maintain consistency, not impossible but harder. I ran one sniper [pump cocker >.<] down to a stable 175pisg but it was a temperamental beast and gas hog [not that that bothered me as I used a 68cuin bottle and played hopperball]. It was very quiet setup in the end but impractical to maintain [with dubious benefits from being "quieter"]

Vented barrels are the easiest way to quiet a marker some.

toymachine 09-19-2012 02:28 PM

^this. good post

JLuke 09-19-2012 02:33 PM

Pump slower :D