mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

SM-1: Palmers or CP Mini Reg?

Starting to layout what parts to get for an SM-1 and need some help on component choice.
Are there any advantages of going with the Palmers reg (micro, pebble) over the CP Mini reg? If anyone has experience using any of the Palmers with pump play I would like to hear what has worked for you. Does the reg choice even matter as much for pump markers with much lower rof?

thanks
Chupa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

AKA reg all the way.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
AKA reg all the way.
The sidewinder or the 2 Liter+? I have seen the sidewinder mentioned a few times are the forums. And thanks for the alternative option
Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
HPA = sidewinder or 2-Liter
CO2= Palmers
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
AKA reg all the way.
SECONDED!!!

The reg you use depends on the setup. If you use co2, go for a pps stab. Or a stab and sidewinder, although this is overkill. If you use hpa, between a stab and cp reg I'd get the cp reg (for hpa I find stabs overpriced, and after all you're using this on a pump).

As ApoC said though, if you're using HPA (or anti-siphon co2 even) I'd definitely get an AKA reg. I wouldn't get a 2L Dual + (the current incarnation, with both lp and hp output springs included) simply because it is kind of overkill. Again, this is going on a pump. Then again, I love my 2L Dual + on my Thumper so...

I think you should either get a sidewinder or SST (0-400psi version of sidewinder that's a bit more consistent or so I'm told, or something, basically an updated sidewinder). If you run at different pressures depending on the setup (such as <300psi, 400-500psi and >500psi) go with the Sidewinder because it has a more versatile output (0-700psi). But if you only are gonna operate your gun at <400psi, go for the SST (output 0-400psi).

The price is like this, from most expensive to least:
2L Dual +, SST, Sidewinder

If you run at 400psi or less, go with the SST (or if you must the 2L, but I highly recommend the SST over it for your case). If you run at or above 400psi or just want more versatility, go with the Sidewinder. The sidewinder has long been one of the best regs out there, truly a standard. Over all, it's my favorite reg of them all (the SST would take it's place but I also use sidewinders on ghosts and phantoms and the SST wouldn't be able to give enough output to run them efficiently).
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

thanks for all of the informative advice! As far as operating pressures, anyone know what the SM-1 runs optimally at?

@toymachine
I was just looking at the SST before reading your post and was about to ask about it. Also, I will be running HPA. What advantages on a pump would I have for wanting to run a higher output pressure? Sorry if there is a post already about that, feel free to point that out if there is lol.

*edit
It would seem from looking around that 300psi is good for the SM-1 thereby answering one of my questions. A different opinion on that, however, would still be welcome. thanks again

Last edited by Chupa83; 10-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'm running the CP shorty inline reg and its great, fits the lines of the gun too
Bandaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa83 View Post
thanks for all of the informative advice! As far as operating pressures, anyone know what the SM-1 runs optimally at?

@toymachine
I was just looking at the SST before reading your post and was about to ask about it. Also, I will be running HPA. What advantages on a pump would I have for wanting to run a higher output pressure? Sorry if there is a post already about that, feel free to point that out if there is lol.

*edit
It would seem from looking around that 300psi is good for the SM-1 thereby answering one of my questions. A different opinion on that, however, would still be welcome. thanks again
300-350psi is what I've seen some sm1 sweet spotted at. What you really need to do is sweet spot your gun once you get a reg. Every gun is different, and sweet spotting your specific setup will allow you to determine for yourself and then run your gun at whatever pressure it works best at. Look up directions/manuals on how to sweet spot autocockers and snipers on google (here is a very good basic guide though: Sweet Spotting Your Regulator ~~ Endless Paintball).

TBH you don't need to use a SST. You don't need a 2L Dual +. You don't need a Sidewinder. Hell, you don't even need to use a Stabilizer or CP reg. You could get by just find with an old internally adjustible WGP reg (although it would be a pain in the a$$ to setup) or ergo reg. As long as the reg can handle an output of 100-600psi you're good to go (specifically 200-500psi in your case). Anyways, my point is, any reg that is reliable and has the right output range, you're fine.

That being said, I always liked to get the best. So if you have the money, buy an SST or Sidewinder. If it's a little tight, get the CP reg (as it's marginally cheaper, although a used Sidewinder is actually less than a new CP reg in most cases).

In your case, running your gun on a high pressure (500psi or more) probably won't give you good results. I was just saying that, given that I have a lot of guns, unless I'm looking for a specific reg for a specific or dedicated project, I prefer to have flexibility. Thus I have a lot of Sidewinders because I can use them right out of the box, only with a little adjustment to the output pressure, on my Grey Ghost and my Typhoon, my Impulse and my Tribal, etc. etc. But, for instance, with my first Gen 2 Thumper, I bought a 2L Dual + for it, because I planned to run that dedicated to that gun/setup.

If you're running HPA, there is really no reason for your to buy a Stab. Unless I'm using CO2, I actually try not to use them. Great regs and all, but I find, especially with HPA, AKA regs simply work better in pretty much every respect. Maybe not by leaps and bounds, but enough for me to make that distinction.

Again, hp probably isn't useful for your setup (it would be if you wanted to run your pump cocker via 12g to play stock class, but you're going to us CA/HPA and a hopper). But I can't tell you what pressure will work best for you a priori. I can speculate (and it is probably around 300-350psi, depending on your springs - for now just keep these stock just to get it setup), but you need to sweet spot your gun with whatever reg you end up getting before any one will know what pressure works best for you and your sm1.

A SST would be ideal for your project. Max output is 400psi, and they work very, very well at 300-350psi (although of course they work very well from 0-400psi...). The SST is like a new upgraded generation of Sidewinders (only really one difference). Highly recommended, especially like I said concerning you're looking at an input of under 400psi and running HPA. Search for info about the SST and you'll learn why I recommend it over the Sidewinder, despite it's slightly higher price tag.

Let us know how things work out for you!

And BTW, down the road once you have your gun/reg sweet spotted and you've play with it a good bit, go ahead and buy yourself a spring kit. With that you can tweak the operating pressure/efficiency to your liking, although you'll have to sweet spot the gun again every time you change the springs. Or at least I'd recommend doing so

Last edited by toymachine; 10-26-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
300-350psi is what I've seen some sm1 sweet spotted at. What you really need to do is sweet spot your gun once you get a reg. Every gun is different, and sweet spotting your specific setup will allow you to determine for yourself and then run your gun at whatever pressure it works best at. Look up directions/manuals on how to sweet spot autocockers and snipers on google (here is a very good basic guide though: Sweet Spotting Your Regulator ~~ Endless Paintball).

TBH you don't need to use a SST. You don't need a 2L Dual +. You don't need a Sidewinder. Hell, you don't even need to use a Stabilizer or CP reg. You could get by just find with an old internally adjustible WGP reg (although it would be a pain in the a$$ to setup) or ergo reg. As long as the reg can handle an output of 100-600psi you're good to go (specifically 200-500psi in your case). Anyways, my point is, any reg that is reliable and has the right output range, you're fine.

That being said, I always liked to get the best. So if you have the money, buy an SST or Sidewinder. If it's a little tight, get the CP reg (as it's marginally cheaper, although a used Sidewinder is actually less than a new CP reg in most cases).

In your case, running your gun on a high pressure (500psi or more) probably won't give you good results. I was just saying that, given that I have a lot of guns, unless I'm looking for a specific reg for a specific or dedicated project, I prefer to have flexibility. Thus I have a lot of Sidewinders because I can use them right out of the box, only with a little adjustment to the output pressure, on my Grey Ghost and my Typhoon, my Impulse and my Tribal, etc. etc. But, for instance, with my first Gen 2 Thumper, I bought a 2L Dual + for it, because I planned to run that dedicated to that gun/setup.

If you're running HPA, there is really no reason for your to buy a Stab. Unless I'm using CO2, I actually try not to use them. Great regs and all, but I find, especially with HPA, AKA regs simply work better in pretty much every respect. Maybe not by leaps and bounds, but enough for me to make that distinction.

Again, hp probably isn't useful for your setup (it would be if you wanted to run your pump cocker via 12g to play stock class, but you're going to us CA/HPA and a hopper). But I can't tell you what pressure will work best for you a priori. I can speculate (and it is probably around 300-350psi, depending on your springs - for now just keep these stock just to get it setup), but you need to sweet spot your gun with whatever reg you end up getting before any one will know what pressure works best for you and your sm1.

A SST would be ideal for your project. Max output is 400psi, and they work very, very well at 300-350psi (although of course they work very well from 0-400psi...). The SST is like a new upgraded generation of Sidewinders (only really one difference). Highly recommended, especially like I said concerning you're looking at an input of under 400psi and running HPA. Search for info about the SST and you'll learn why I recommend it over the Sidewinder, despite it's slightly higher price tag.

Let us know how things work out for you!

And BTW, down the road once you have your gun/reg sweet spotted and you've play with it a good bit, go ahead and buy yourself a spring kit. With that you can tweak the operating pressure/efficiency to your liking, although you'll have to sweet spot the gun again every time you change the springs. Or at least I'd recommend doing so
Awesome thank you so much

First thread here and community support is stellar. Ill let you know how the project goes!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa83 View Post
Awesome thank you so much

First thread here and community support is stellar. Ill let you know how the project goes!
That's just because it's friday night

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers