mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
engineer minded

Fart question

ok so i built a superbolt pump and had an nxt shocker reg on it. shot good except i couldn't get it over 260fps( do to the reg only going so high as far as psi is concerned) it had a fart when i held the pump forward and didn't fart when i just let it shoot without holding the pump forward. So anyway i changed springs in the reg to a stiffer string to achieve higher psi. ok so at first it didn't fart then after adjusting the ivg it does know fart.
Question: What causes the farting? is it the pressure or the ivg setting? or is it the valve spring and velocity spring set up?
IOG
Also on customcockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Some people are penny wise, and dollar foolish.
Vitalsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
engineer minded

more specifically:
i understand that the farting is the hammer bouncing on the valve but how do i fix it? do i change valve spring, velocity spring, or reg setting(psi)
IOG
Also on customcockers

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

That sound is just the hammer bouncing on the valve.

Here's what worked for me. Stronger valve spring, lighter hammer spring, lighter hammer (I have an ACP delrin sleeved hammer). You can actually tell how much bouncing is occurring when you dry fire and listen. Then sweetspot the reg/valve. Higher pressures can help reduce bounce because the valve will close faster.

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
engineer minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
That sound is just the hammer bouncing on the valve.

Here's what worked for me. Stronger valve spring, lighter hammer spring, lighter hammer (I have an ACP delrin sleeved hammer). You can actually tell how much bouncing is occurring when you dry fire and listen. Then sweetspot the reg/valve. Higher pressures can help reduce bounce because the valve will close faster.
this is what i was thinking. delrin sleeved hammer do you have pics or explanation cause i am a machinist and have delrin available. is it like a azodin feather stryker idea?
IOG
Also on customcockers

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

ACP WGP Autococker Stainless Steel Core Delrin Sleeved Hammer - e-Paintball

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Click. Fwip. "OUT!"

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Sdawg has the idea. Also, if you can't get above 260 try sweetspotting and then adjusting via the IVG.

I have the lightest madmann in with my CCM valve and it works perfectly.

Much Madness is the divinest sense - Emily Dickenson
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Emerson

Pdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Stock superbolt valve? Iirc, it could use some drilling to match the port in the body.

How about the bolt? Try changing the bolt o-rings if they are original, many were too small and useless.

Does the barrel screw all the way in? Some won't go in that last turn, which makes a gap and screws up the ball seating and the bolt seal; you loose a lot of air out of the feed neck (in addition to the air lost from the bolt o-rings).

These are items related to low velocity for a given pressure. Farting is the balance between your springs, hammer weight and pressure at the valve. You can have good velocity with farting. If you have the things above under control, you may be running too low of a pressure considering the volume of air in the body and the response of your regulator. If you don't have enough of a reservoir of air behind the valve for a given set pressure, the regulator has to respond during the shot, which is usually too late. There's not enough residual pressure to hold the valve shut against the hammer bounce (if there was in the first place).

So,

The valve spring and the pressure help hold the valve closed; more means less farting.

The main spring helps open the valve, storing energy in the hammer. A lighter main spring (hammer spring) is less farting. Lighter hammers mean less farting. Keep in mind that turning in the IVG is preloading the main spring. This puts the main spring more in play when the valve is closed. If the IVG and main spring length are such that the hammer doesn't push much at rest, you will have less farting.

Make sure you're not way over the sweetspot. Just because the valve doesn't open far enough for good velocity doesn't mean that it can't burp.

All of that is just additional info to the posts above. I think it all fits together.

Last edited by Spider!; 01-29-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers