mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Question Nelspot help

Hey guys I'm having troubles with my nelspot 007.
I've been working on it for a while,

polished inside and out
Lapco adjustable bolt
Lapco fluted hammer
Lapco 6p power tube
Madman spring kit
And all new seals

The problem I'm having is when I tune it to shoot over anything 200 fps, my first shot is fine but then it rapidly drops. I usually get less than 10 shots before I'm shooting under 120fps.

Also, to get my velocity up to 260-280 the pump stroke is extremely stiff..

Are these problems normal? Have I done something wrong?
Any help would be great.
mycyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
What springs have you got in there? Have you tried a heavy main spring and normal valve spring?

Swap one spring at a time to see if any of it helps.

In my nelspot I had phantom internals with a Red (Heavy) main spring and a normal valve spring.

I was shooting 280 all day and getting 30 shots no problem...
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

is your main spring like, not properly inserted into the bolt and is just stuck on the lip making your first shot harder than the rest?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
By Madman springs I'm guessing you mean Madman Autococker springs.

If so you are likely going to have to mess around with your spring combinations in order to get one that works since Autococker springs are longer than Nelson springs.

Sounds to me like maybe you're main/valve spring combo is where you should start.

With those internals I would say try a lighter valve, stronger main and see if that give you any results.

Are you having roll out troubles as well?

Have you looked at any of these threads Historic Nelson Tuning Threads
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Sorry, that is correct. I'm using an autococker spring kit. I tried a few different spring combinations. (But used a stiff valve spring..)My velocity grew but was getting fewer and fewer shots before drop off.. Could my valve select have anything to do with it? (Only part I didn't replace)
And no rollouts.. (My nelspot has a small bore fixed barrel)
I'm going to tinker with it some more tonight and see what kind if results I can get.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Low velocity limit often means that the valve isn't staying open long enough to let out enough co2 to get speed up. I've never had much luck with Lapco internals (esspecially the hammer) and really hard valve springs. Try a lighter valve spring.

Others have had different results but I think they are from warmer climates

I agree with CJ about the quality of CCI's parts. I only use LAPCO internals in 1 of my 6 Nelson based guns.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Ditch the Lapco guts.

I've concluded: a CCI Phantom powertubes, bolts, hammers, and springs are the absolute best Nelson guts on the market. (I've tried ALL types)

You'll have to substitute the old Nelspot sear onto the Phantom hammer and may need to file it down a bit. Otherwise, it all works flawlessly.

I've got a Nellie shooting 300+ on Phantom guts. (FYI: it's Stilgar's old Nelspot)
This.
Go Phantom all the way.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ok well I tried the red main / lighter valve spring combo and was able to get ~ 25 shots above 200fps before a major drop to 116 fps then a leak through the barrel.. Could the valve spring be too weak now? Also a note, I was breaking paintballs with the first 3 or 4 shots...

Also I will consider buying cci internals but for now ill continue with the lapco because that's what I have lol
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
No class

Hi guys, Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am having almost the same type of problem. I have done plenty of searching and research to no avail.

I have an old 007 I put all my Phantom internals into. initially velocity was low and gas consumption was high. I tried springing, no better. I read some great stuff on Power tubes in the Redux section, so I set out to turn out a copy of Bacci's modified Ranger power tube.

Dropped that in and the velocity came up to 230fps, but no matter what spring combo, it maxed at 230. Figuring there was some other restriction in line, I went back to the shop with the TPC in hand and turned the OD where it sits in the bolt to increase the flow through the bolt. That brought it to 250 from the third to the sixth shot, where it started dropping off fairly rapidly. by shot 15, it was back to 220fps. That was with a very stiff hammer spring. The paint to barrel match isn't perfect, but it won't roll out.
I have been using random springs I have had sitting around for years, so I don't have any color combos to throw out. Anyone know where I can get a spring kit with valve springs? Any ideas why this thing won't get up there in velocity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
As bad as US gun laws are, thank God we can still shoot at RC planes with machineguns.
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Go to CCI or Titus. Mike makes a spring kit for Phantoms.

If you place all stock Phantom internals into your Nellie, it should perform as well as any other Phantom.

If you are searching for that 35 to the "magical" 60 shots above 280 f.p.s. off of a twelvie, you'll need to experiment. There's lots of info on this site about doing this.

But, it seems as though you are just looking to have your Nellie run normally.
Start with all Phantom stuff first. This is where you should start. Then, change one thing at a time and record your findings.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers