mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tinkerer

The marker that brought me back into paintball was an Azodin Kaos Pump with a hitman mod. I played with that for a year before "moving up" to a CIP Sniper v2. Having spent the summer playing with my Sniper, I preferred using the Kaos Pump.

My son uses a Trracer and a few of my team mates are running with Empire Snipers. I have also gotten to play games using both the T2 and the MVP.

If I had the cash available, I would be buying a T2 (or the MVP). Both of these were amazingly smooth and well balanced. With the need to pay for paint for myself and my two kids (now my wife and third child are getting into things as well) I have to stick to the lower end of paintball markers.

Bang for the buck, there isn't much that comes close to the Empire Sniper. It comes with a barrel kit and is very well thought out for just a little more than half the price of the MVP or the T2.

For casual paintball, I have a sweet spot for the Kaos Pump. At less than half the price of the Empire Sniper, it's a reliable marker that gets the job done. I haven't had a chance to try the Hammer 7 yet but that's been getting a lot of love because of the First Strike compatibility.

Of course, calling something the "best" is going to be entirely a personal choice. It all depends on that balance of what fits your budget vs what fits in your hand.

my markers
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Barned

I haven't handled much pump markers but in terms of performance? Probably the CCM markers as they are just buttery smooth and light. The J12 seems to have a really improved autotrigger as well compared to the other CCM markers.

I currently own an empire sniper though, and with the hush bolt in and detents taken out it is a very smooth marker. With all the things it comes with, I think it's hands down the best bang for your $$ out there.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiones View Post
When looking, do not rule out the Sterling. Despite the fact that parts are hard to come by they are one the smoothest pump stroke out there. Not to mention a whole bunch cheaper than a CCM.
Im new to pump but had a chance to use my friends Sterling recently,WOW what a difference from my H7(love it) or Cocker pumps
So much smoother,on my Holy Grail list now
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

As others have noted, it's very much personal preference. For me, if I'm looking to play stock class, it's a Phantom VSC; if I'm looking to play open class, it's a Sniper II.

The Phantom is just so freaking light, even with a 13 ci HPA tank, it's like carrying nothing at all and with a freak-bored stock barrel and some of Ty's inserts, it's deadly accurate. I've had and used hopper-fed Phantoms, but to me it just feels awkward and top-heavy.

For higher-volume shooting, the Sniper platform just feels more stable. Heavier? Yes, but it's a good heft.

Finally, for those times I want to illicit that "you're gonna play with that thing? you're braver than I thought" response, a Palmerized PMI-II does the trick. That thing is just solid and shoots darts.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
I like stacked tubes like Sheridans and Snipers. Their smoother than Nelsons in my experience.

There was a funny quote about nelsons being plastic plants but I'm to tired to find it.

My best advice is try to use some different brands and see what you like most.
I think it was in either Long Beard's or Greenmtnphantom's signature:

Quote:
Nelsons are like plastic plants. They work well for their design, but there isn't any life in them.
For the record, I disagree.

I have yet to meet a gun I didn't love, but I have to put the Phantom high on the list because of its longevity (1987?), customer support (you can still call Mike himself), high quality (aluminumy goodness), modularity (SC to VSC to DF/CA), and relatively low cost (can be had new for under $200).

Bushmasters were also very high quality Nelson guns, and the dual pump arms are great.

Yet, I love my PGP....

OK, the truth is that I love paintball and just want to own one of everything.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

The best advice I can give is ask to shoot other people's guns at fields. You're in luck that Sacramento has a decent pump scene comparably.

Some pumps I'd maybe research since you don't hear much hype about them or see them on the field often are: Palmer stuff, Carters, and Sterlings.

What field do you normally play at?

WTB any color XL Hundredth Monkey Bounce Cap. Only looking for old school style.
Sincera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincera View Post
The best advice I can give is ask to shoot other people's guns at fields. You're in luck that Sacramento has a decent pump scene comparably.

Some pumps I'd maybe research since you don't hear much hype about them or see them on the field often are: Palmer stuff, Carters, and Sterlings.

What field do you normally play at?
I play pretty much everywhere, but i also try to make all the big games in Davis, I like American Canyon and Action Paintball in Ione, but i will play pretty much anywhere...

Thanks for all the info on Pumps guys, for now i will be sticking with my Sniper, and asking some guys to try their pumps out from time to time.
WarrenReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
GMO Population control

For me, I have absolutely fallen in love with my stock class Phantom. I run it a little different than most though, I have a bottom mount Micro CA II on the back, so I can shoulder it. If I'm not playing with that and want to use an open class, I will play with my Sheridan based "Counter Sniper" rifle. That thing is wicked accurate as well.
Emotional pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCD Member

I'm going to say that if you're not playing tournament, don't worry too much about the absolute best performance. Play with whatever makes you happy... and why stop at just having one pump...

For me I have an Empire Sniper, a pumped Orracle and a VSC phantom. The Orracle has by far the best pump stroke, the phantom is easily the lightest and the Sniper is somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't mind getting a CCM, but it'd pretty much be the same price as all 3 pumps I have and it really wouldn't make me any better of a player.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiones View Post
When looking, do not rule out the Sterling. Despite the fact that parts are hard to come by they are one the smoothest pump stroke out there. Not to mention a whole bunch cheaper than a CCM.
+1 with a freak kit

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers