mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Best pump marker and why.

I own an Empire sniper, and various other electric guns. I have recently come to the conclusion that I enjoy playing with pump markers more than electric guns. It's more of a challenge and in the end more fun.
What I'm wanting to know is what is the best marker out there and why? Not looking to make a purchase quite yet, just curious to learn a little more. Also when I do make a purchase its (hopefully) not going to be above 800 dollars. Still curious to hear about all the 1500 (and up I'm sure) dollar markers though.
WarrenReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hey bro, I wish there was a clear answer but it's going to be to each their own. Instead here are some questions that might help.

- open class or stock class? Or springfed?
- 12 grams or constant air?
- springing/operation for efficiency or ease of operation or both?

Honestly, sit down, grab a beer (coffee, wine, juice, coolaid) and read all the threads on here lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Just fyi everyone the answer is stock class for all questions related to paintball and to solve all paintball related problems except carbon emissions because we gotta use those 12 grams.

Double FYI for paintball rules there should be no "offer" of surrender, its either mandatory surrender at X distance when guy is behind you or no surrender and you get shot in the booty. "offer" of surrender makes for some ridiculous and dangerous john woo tactics.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

The short answer is the one you feel the most comfortable and effective with. Choice of a tool is very personal and what it good, bad or indifferent to me may be just the opposite for you.

I tend to prefer stacked tube pumps though I have owned, still own and like some nelson based pumps. Currently though my preferred paint gun is a RF Oak Pyre with a Dual vented palmers barrel with wedgits. That being said I was a long time user of RF Snipers [not pump cockers they were always snipers] with single trigger grip frames and no auto-triggers, never could get used to using auto-triggers.

Your Empire Sniper is a perfectly acceptable pump, if it works for you keep it save your money and play more There are plenty of cheaper and more expensive pumps out there. The performance difference between a quality converted cocker to a purpose built high end pump can be quite negligible. I love CCM actually use their parts in a several of my snipers [I was an early adopter of their pump kits] but you do not have to buy a brand new S6.5 or T2...etc. to get great performance.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you like the sniper platform CCM tends to be top dog, I personally prefer building my own pumps, makes them feel more special.
Smidiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidiet View Post
If you like the sniper platform CCM tends to be top dog, I personally prefer building my own pumps with ccm parts, makes them feel more special.
*fixed

The world is like an ice cream sunday.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Fan of EMR
When looking, do not rule out the Sterling. Despite the fact that parts are hard to come by they are one the smoothest pump stroke out there. Not to mention a whole bunch cheaper than a CCM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Terminus Est

hammer 7

yes
SKULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
OLD MAN

CCM Fan
Welcome to pump play. I started playing pump about a year ago and like you, stopped playing with my electos. Really, once I received my first T2, I have played with my AXE twice and not once in the last 6 months.

I started with a CCM T2 and have had no regrets. Now I have tried and acquired several more pumps, so I know where you are coming from. While I am no expert yet, I am enthusiastic and started a collection of a few open-class pumps. My next acquisition is likely to be a Stock Class pump.

I am not a big fan of buying used old markers, especially conversions until you really know what you are doing. There are so many different models and so many of the conversions are cobbled together with worn and mismatched parts. Now I am not saying you cannot find a good one, or make something yourself once you gain some additional expertise. I have shot and liked a 2005 Black Magic and mid-block Karnivor converted to pumps using CCM parts. They are good, just not as good as a full CCM.

Since I not played many stock class markers yet, I am limiting my advice to Open Class Pumps. To answer your question from my perspective, this is my list:

Open Class: Sniper Based - I like half or mid-blocks. Do not like the top-heavy feel, additional weight or the goggle scratching beavertail or cocking rod of a full-blocks. CCM of Northern California owns this category with superior product design, execution and the best customer service and technical support.

CCM J12 - New design, maybe a 6 month wait...maybe longer? Never shot one, but still at the top of my list of markers to get, just waiting until the wait is less. For now, let's put this one aside and focus on markers you can get now.

CCM T2 - I now have three of these, they are great! It is very light, easy to maintain and feel extra-great. Of all the markers I have shot and owned, this is by far my favorite…HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

CCM S6.5 - Another half-block from CCM, great looking, I like the T2 better.

Bob Long MVP - I have one of these, interesting marker, very light and compact - not nearly as nice or smooth shooting as a CCM. I would not recommend this until you have a few other pumps and are looking some something different.

Sanchez Machine SM-1 - I have a couple of these. A nice half-block from another California based machine shop. The design and execution is good, not as good as the CCM products. I have a couple, my 16 year old son prefers them to my T2s, I do not think they hold a candle to the CCM products.

The Empire Sniper is a very good marker for the money; several of my friends have purchased them, all like them. It may be the most import new marker as it has attracted so many new players to pump play. If you buy one of these do not spend any money on upgrades, if you are going to spend more, get a CCM.

Again, welcome to pump play!

My Pumps: Yoda and Darth Vader CCM Series 5 Snipers, Niche Nemesis Special Edition Sniper, Niche Element #20 Sniper, Niche Nemesis #20 Sniper, '03 CCM J2 Sniper, '04 CCM J2 Sniper, CCM Series 6 Prototype, CCM Series 6 (x2), CCM T2F, CCM T2 (x2), CCM Series 5 RF #20, CCM Series 5 (x12), CCM SS-25 (x4), WORKS Series 2 Sniper, Carter Machine Predator, Dye Era Carter Sniper, WGP Karnivor Mid-Block Sniper, WGP '02 STO Sniper, WGP '98 STO Sniper, WGP '05 Black Magic Sniper, WGP'03 Vertical Feed SE Sniper, WGP '03 (x3), 2K RF Sniper, '96 Belsales Evolution Sniper, '99 Shocktech Sniper, 93 WGP Sniper, 1992 WGP Sniper 2, CCI Under-Cocking Phantom, Predator Sterling. Non-pump: CCM Series 5 Autococker, '03 WGP Black Magic Autococker.

Last edited by David A.; 11-25-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Updated with MVP info
David A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I like stacked tubes like Sheridans and Snipers. Their smoother than Nelsons in my experience.

There was a funny quote about nelsons being plastic plants but I'm to tired to find it.

My best advice is try to use some different brands and see what you like most.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
PPS Fan
I have one or two pumps guns, hard to say what is the best, I love love love shooting the J12, can't wait for my R7 Magnum to be built, and the Pyre is rock solid every time I shoot it....

But....there are too many options to say what is the best one...all comes down to personal preference...who knows, maybe you will pick up a $60 PGP and rock that to your grave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers