mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Love my SL68 II. First gun I ever bought, and still probably my favorite.
JamesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
aka Maggy Moo

Not to necro-post, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
I can't remember how detailed the man got (maybe some pictures); but someone talked about drilling and tapping the meat where the barrel clamping screw is located to insert nylon tipped 10-32 grub screws to act as guides for the pump rod. One on each side, and he was able to eliminate the twist in the pump handle.
Pretty sure this was me. Or someone stole my idea, lol. I did this with my SL using polished brass tipped setscrews and it works really well. That, combined with polishing the internls, and the gun is a lot smoother. I looked into respringing it to make the stroke lighter but it looks like you'd have to mod the bolt to get a Maddmann kit to work. Doable, but practical? Eh. Might as well just get used to the weight. Mine is also modified for vert feed stock class. I'd link to my build thread but I'm on my xbox right now and don't really have the capability.

When it comes to barrels, don't bother with a J&J. Either get the stock barrel bored for Freak inserts, or nut up and buy a Palmers.

I really like that 12g conversion. I've been thinking about doing something similar, but instead of running vert air, making a backbottle dropout. Looks like you'd have to do some heavy duty modding though. I seem to recall seeing it done though.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
Not to necro-post, but...

Pretty sure this was me. Or someone stole my idea, lol. I did this with my SL using polished brass tipped setscrews and it works really well. That, combined with polishing the internls, and the gun is a lot smoother. I looked into respringing it to make the stroke lighter but it looks like you'd have to mod the bolt to get a Maddmann kit to work. Doable, but practical? Eh. Might as well just get used to the weight. Mine is also modified for vert feed stock class. I'd link to my build thread but I'm on my xbox right now and don't really have the capability.

When it comes to barrels, don't bother with a J&J. Either get the stock barrel bored for Freak inserts, or nut up and buy a Palmers.

I really like that 12g conversion. I've been thinking about doing something similar, but instead of running vert air, making a backbottle dropout. Looks like you'd have to do some heavy duty modding though. I seem to recall seeing it done though.
It may have very well been you. It's been a great while since I seen it. When you get the time, please leave a link to the build thread.

I must admit. My SL68ii has been hanging from a hanger in the garage for at least two years. Started painting it, tyring to match up the pump arm and body's black color, and just ADD'd the pump into the back of my mind. I owe it some love.

why do you think i drive so carefully?

My feedback
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was told by someone that you cannot freak bore a stock barrel since the bolt will pull the insert out?
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
I was told by someone that you cannot freak bore a stock barrel since the bolt will pull the insert out?
Last disussion I left with a few of the machinists here, that was the general case; but SSC had an idea to make it work. I'm figuring it was a success if someone has already had it done by him.

why do you think i drive so carefully?

My feedback
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
aka Maggy Moo

Sorry it took so long to get these links.

Build thread

I talk about the set screw mod here, at the bottom of the first page.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers