mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

PMI Trracer w/ Lapco Microshot .681

After considering sending one of my Trracer bodies to SSC to be rethreaded to accept cocker barrels and the pump handle bored to fit over the thicker barrels, I decided to simply ask Stanchy if he'd be able to put Trracer threads on another barrel. I figured it was a long shot, because it seems that almost no one deals with that exclusive thread pattern these days.

I'm very happy to tell you that SSC can and will do it and Ryan does a damn good job at that! I sent him a Phantom threaded Lapco Microshot because the thickness is perfect being a pump barrel, so no modifications to the pump handle were needed. Due to the Trracer threads being thinner than the Phantom threads, he was able to grind them down and cut the Trracer threads into the same spot without any loss of barrel length. He also cut in a groove for the pump stop ring just like stock barrel.

It shoots perfectly and is very accurate...it's a Lapco barrel after all. So, to all of you PMI pump owners who want to bring these awesome markers back to life, there is hope!

Name:  IMG_2824.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  284.7 KB
Name:  IMG_2825.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  267.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2826.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  261.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2822.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  285.9 KB

Last edited by phantom menace; 09-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.
phantom menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Looks good. Do you happen to know what the thread pitch is?
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. The gloss black matches the body of the gun perfectly. Although a Lapco barrel can make any gun look sexy IMO.

I'm not sure what the thread pitch is, but Stanchy could probably tell you.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

Looks great! Glad to see others rocking the Trracers still. I'm going to be sending him my Trracer stuff for a little work as well.
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks!

This is my first gun from 18 years ago and it has never let me down. These USA made Trracers were well designed, well built, and have standard features that can be costly upgrades for other markers which are already twice the price to begin with...like the Phantom. (and yes, I currently own 3 phantoms; one of which was my second gun in version 1 urban camo)

For example: anti-double feed($ASP detent/anti-double feed mod$) dual side cocking arms ($Phuzzard mod$) anti-double cocking, pump-stop barrel ring (helps eliminate barrel/pump arm friction and keeps the pump arm screws from slamming into the body with each forward stroke).

While I can appreciate the Phantom and other MUCH more expensive pumps for their aesthetics and attention to detail, a Trracer setup like mine can be had for just over $100...80% of that cost being the barrel and rethread.

What are you having SSC do for your Trracer?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom menace View Post
What are you having SSC do for your Trracer?
Threading for cocker barrel. I was intrigued that he could cut Trracer threading into a barrel, however the barrel I'm going to be putting on is much rarer and worth significantly more than the marker (lol) so I'd rather cut a donor body I'm getting from Dan at BacciPaintball.

My Trracers are the most consistent, reliable little markers I've ever had (not that I've had as many as some of the people here), so I'm turning this one into a bolt-action for First-Strikes.
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Almost any quality underbore barrel that you'd want rethreaded will be worth as much or more than a Trracer.

I still might send him one of my spare bodies for cocker threading, but I do have an Empire Trracer which is already cocker threaded and I modded a PMI Trracer pump handle to work on that gun, so it's not as "tactical" now. I want to put a permanent feed neck on it like the old trracer to completely rid it of the unwanted rails.

Hope your project turns out well. Be sure to post pics when completed!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
HENSHIN!

So that's what happened to the bodies! That's fantastic! Good stuff!
ZZ rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Nothing has happened to them just yet, but still contemplating a cocker rethread on one of them...maybe both. It's good to have spare bodies and parts for these old Trracers if nothing else.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
HENSHIN!

That's a good resource, I thought about doing this for a while too for the longest time. Was the custom job expensive?
ZZ rai is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers