mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Fitting AGD changers to a Nelspot

Hey all,
Probably quite an obvious question, but I guess I won't know unless I ask!
I've got one of the threaded ASA type backs spare on my Nelly that I haven't really bothered with, but was curious as to what I could actually mount to it.
For example, would things like the AGD 6-pak or Micro CA fit to it, and would anything need rearranging internals wise for it to not run from the grip 12g seal?

If one was mounted to the back, could the CO2 still theoretically be fed through the grip (using the CA2 as a stock, for example)?

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Can you put up a picture? I think that the ASA valve body you're speaking of has no inlet for an in-the-grip 12g. So, no, you couldn't run 12ies in the grip with the ASA as a stock (but why would you want to?) without significant modifications.

As long as the threads are standard ASA, there's no reason a Micro-CA or 6PAK wouldn't work for an air source. You could also use a CO2 bottle, or a bucket changer, or a lever changer, or a remote line... any CO2 source that threads into an ASA.

Understand that I don't actually have any of these items, but I think they're the same as any back-bottle Nelson valve body (I run a Bushmaster, usually with a 4oz CO2 in the BBA, but have also used a gas-through stock with remote line--
<-----see avatar).
Feedback

Last edited by Axel; 10-05-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you bung your back bottle asa on your in grip co2 becomes redundant.
Cannon Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Ah cheers guys - I'm pretty useless when it comes to anything ASA related!
This is the part underneath the gun:

From what I gather, you replace the back with that and it comes off at a .45 angle. Haven't actually tried putting it together yet (probably should have I guess ), do you need to link up the airsource internals to the back in some particular way?

I'm normally a 12ies kind of guy, but was curious about the kind of options I can get with these - might give the back-bottle a try though!

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw

Quote:
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Axel is correct in all of his comments.

Step 1: separate the body from the trigger frame by removing the main body screw and valve body screw - both should be Phillips head screws. Note: do NOT remove the larger Phillips head screw that's right in front of the trigger guard.

Step 2: Remove the two small set screws that secure the valve body to the main body of the gun (if they are still there - I can't tell from the photo).

Step 3: Remove the valve body.

Step 4: Unscrew and remove the valve assembly from the valve body. Check to see if the cup seal and valve spring needs to be replaced. Make sure that the valve tube is tightly screwed into the cup seal. You can use pliers for this but DO NOT overtighten, or the valve tube may snap at the threads on the bottom.

Step 5: Thread the valve assembly into the back-bottle ASA adapter.

Step 6: Insert the back-bottle ASA adapter into the main body and secure with the two small set screws.

Step 7: Reassemble the main body with ASA to the trigger frame, and you're done. As Axel stated, you can now use any ASA-compatible system to gas up your gun - AGD Micro CA II, AGD 6-pack, CCI bucket changer, etc, etc.

Note that if you want to remove the internals from the main body you need to see if the bottom rear of the Nel-Spot body has been slotted or not. Given the amount of modifications done already to this gun, I would assume it has been slotted. If it hasn't, then you should make the modification yourself.

On factory Nel-Spots, the body was designed so you needed to punch out the sear retaining pin (from the hammer) in order to remove the hammer, main spring and bolt from the body. Once all the internals have been removed, take a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel and carefully cut out the metal in between the slot and the back of the gun. Basically, you are continuing the slot so it extends out the back of the body (where the valve body connects). It's an extremely easy mod to make, and makes dissassembly of the gun much easier. If the gun has already been slotted, then don't worry about it.

BTW, the old Nel-Spot looks pretty good for it's age. Seems like someone took their time with it. The CCI feed block mod, and addition of the Line SI pump are nice - especially if the body has been "double-slotted" to accommodate the later model dual-arm Bushmaster pumps.

The big question is how far over the barrel does the pump extend? You may want to consider a new barrel as the bore of the old ones are going to be way too big for today's paint. Depending on the age of the body, this could be an extensive/expensive mod to make.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Slim's Spring Stock Classic - USA vs. Canada!

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback

Last edited by Slim; 10-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
That's awesome Slim, thanks for being so thorough!

The Nelspot was modded by Smiley, and has got an extended 6" brass barrel under the pump-arm (I normally run it with just the bolt unless it's CQB). It's tighter than the original diameter, but struggles with the really small bores you get with marblizer and the like.
Some of the internals have been swapped out with Lapco ones too, and an anti-kink bolt. The body's been slotted too, like you said - the bolt/hammer/etc slide right out when you remove the back.

The pump's been modded too, so it links up with just the one arm, and you're right, that CCI block is a fantastic addition; speeds up your tubes, but even better, it allows me to handload my rounds!
After a few years of playing nothing but pistols, this one is hands down the best I've ever used.

Quote:

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-06-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Original SWARM

All you have to do is swap out the extra valve chamber for the one on it now.
Then screw in a Micro CA, CCI bucket changer,bottle or what ever you like.

The brass barrel liner should be .686" I.D. with a slightly larger chamber for easy bolt action use.
The body should be slotted also.
Here is a pic of that body with the rear ASA on it and a Micro CA.

007 steel breech and Phantom SC feed.
Barrel length 6", brass lined with overbored chamber
black delrin front outer sleeve
1500 grips molded in black (not painted)
Line SI pump handle

Last edited by Smiley; 04-19-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Ah awesome. Cheers Smiley!

Quote:
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I love the brass inserts. That is something everyone has been bugging me to get done, especially with trying to deal with smaller diameter paintballs.

It pays to be insane.
TouchofGrey is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers