mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

12g on a cold day

I've got an event coming up(oct 27th) and on the day the low is going to be around 55* warming up to 80* during the day. I've got a VSC phantom, however I'm not sure of the pressures on the phantom. I looked up the output of the CO2 pressures at different tank temperatures and came up with this:
80* 969psi
70* 853psi
60* 747psi
50* 652psi

I haven't had time to order a spring kit(but will, using snail mail), but I suppose I will have to 2-3 day a package if necessary(which will be expensive), but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

What I'm asking is what is the minimum input pressure on a VSC phantom which will allow me to achieve 300fps with the stock spring?
Vital_Signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Get a hand warmer from you hardware store - get it going and keep your 12g's in a pocket or wherever you can keep them with the handwarmers. Works like a charm up in the frozen north eh!
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Get a hand warmer from you hardware store - get it going and keep your 12g's in a pocket or wherever you can keep them with the handwarmers. Works like a charm up in the frozen north eh!
The problem lies in the fact that the 12g will be on the gun at which point it will be hard to keep warm.
Vital_Signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

All I know is I played in 50-55deg weather 2 days ago and was able to use the stock spring to hit 280fps with no problems. It was not my VSC but a back bottle running a 12 gram and 11inch barrel with detent ring. In my opinion pump is played close and personal, if you can reach 260 your usualy doing fine.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
All hail Chad!

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I don't know where you're from, Vital Signs, but for cold weather play you can't go wrong taking advice from Canadians & Minnesotans.

However, if you're not playing a stock-class-only game, it's not too difficult to plumb a VSC for HPA.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I don't know where you're from, Vital Signs, but for cold weather play you can't go wrong taking advice from Canadians & Minnesotans.

However, if you're not playing a stock-class-only game, it's not too difficult to plumb a VSC for HPA.
I'm a Minnesotan, and I use HPA in the winter. 12 grams just aren't ideal when it's below freezing. A little 13cc or a 45/45 are nice options.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I use 12gs here in MO all winter long down to temps of 3f. Like Jebus said keep some hand warmers in your pockets and keep your 12ies in there. The one in the gun will start to drop pressure on you after some time but it's not unbearable. Your firer rate will also greatly affect the velocity as the 12g freezes quicker.

The right springs can help too if you want to go that route.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital_Signs View Post
What I'm asking is what is the minimum input pressure on a VSC phantom which will allow me to achieve 300fps with the stock spring?
Getting 300FPS from stock Phantom springs isn't the problem. You can easily achieve 300FPS with any stock Phantom (of course having decent bore-matched paint is key as well) even in cold temps. The problem will be maintaining that 300FPS over a long string of shots. The colder the temps, the less pressure you will have, meaning the less efficient each 12-gram will be.

So you'll get your 300FPS with a stock spring, you just won't get the same amount of shots at that FPS as you would in warmer temps. A spring kit may give you a couple more shots per 12-gram, but in really cold temps a spring kit isn't going to be the end-all solution to the problem.

As stated, keeping the 12-grams warm for as long as possible in your pocket, or using a hand warmer will make more of a difference than just a spring kit. Don't forget that rapid firing will cool down both the 12-gram and the entire valve system which will result is poor efficiency as well. Take your time in between shots, and use your hand to grip the bucket changer as you pause - both will help warm it back up, and may give you a couple more usable shots.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

My MCB Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Slim doesn't know what he's talking about.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've been tempted to tape some hand warmers in a glove around the bucket, haven't tried it yet.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
I've been tempted to tape some hand warmers in a glove around the bucket, haven't tried it yet.
or you can use a lil pipe insulation like on tha water pipes in the winter...or move to AZ....haha
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers