mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Question Lowering the velocity of a JT ER2s

I just bought an ER2s at my local Wally World last night. This is my first pump and I'm pretty excited. I just started playing paintball this Spring, so I'm still very much a newbie.

I took it to my local field and it chrono'd at 230 FPS on the first shot, then droped down 5 FPS each consecutive shot. I'm fine with that, but my local field's limit is 220.

To get it field legal, would I have to trim one of the springs? And what spring needs to be adjusted?

I should be getting a handheld chronograph next month .
Skunk Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

230!? Is it indoor? Is that the only nearby field.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Yeah, I was surprised it was shooting so low. I heard others were getting closer to 300 with the previous model of the ER2. I don't know if it is just mine or what. I want to play around with it once I get my own chronograph.

I'm fine with the low FPS, but it is still 10 FPS too high for my local field. It is indoors and and close quarters. Very newbie friendly. I like it. Only field I've got though.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Lowering the velocity of a JT ER2s

It's a Nelson based pump, so you need to cut the hammer spring (the one between the bolt and hammer). Take it slow, I'd start with no more then 1/2 a coil at a time. Don't cut the valve spring, it will increase your velocity. If possible see if you local hardware store has a spring that feels a bit lighter. A lighter spring will give better results then a cut spring that no longer keeps contact with both the hammer and bolt during shooting.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thank you, 1shot! That's exactly what I needed to know.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Gah, double post. Sorry.

*edit*

Well, might as well use up this spot here. I noticed that my stock A5 barrel fits alright in the place of the plastic tube that the ER2 uses. I wrapped it in some duct tape to make for a snug fit and took it out back for some practice. I'm pretty impressed. I think it has improved the accuracy. It also has a tighter bore match to the paint I've been using. I was able to get around 30 shots on a single 12 gram .

This is my first time modding a paintball gun. Is this pretty much the right idea? I will have to look into a replacement spring at some point so I can adjust the velocity... If I do adjust the velocity to something below 220 (to make it legal for my local field), does that mean I will get even more shots off of a 12 gram?

Last edited by Skunk Shampoo; 10-22-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: double post :/
Skunk Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yes/no lowering the velocity will use less CO2/shot. The small decrease in velocity you are trying to obtain may not give you great gains. In the summer when there are leaves on the trees and I can get in close in I normaly chrono my Phantom to 260fps instead of 280. I have not tested this over the chrono but it seems to give me another ruff 5-10 useable shots. Usable is what you want, my gun may continue shooting up to 45 shots but at an initial 280fps I need to change the 12gram at about 35 shots. Initial of 260 I'm comfortable waiting untill 40 shots. Now it's not that my usable shots end at 35 or 40, it's that I'm never sure when they will become unusable after that point. I just use crossmann 12 grams and they can be a tad off. I try to change 12grams before I have to, usualy every 30 shots, but it's nice to have a buffer in a pinch.

I'm thinking that duct tape may bind up and jam your pump. Interasting about the A5 barrel. With a smaller bore that barrel may up your velocity a bit.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks for your insight, 1shot. I hope to get a chronograph soon and I'll see if a local gun tech can order in a spring kit. The duct tape isn't in the way of the hammer, but I am concerned about it getting gunky when the warm weather hits. Is there a kind of tape that might fare better?

As far as the ER2s goes, I had some difficulty when I first got it. Double feeding, roll outs, and breaks. But those have dropped significantly since my first couple days. Mostly user error, I think. (Took a while to get the rocking and cocking down)
Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Born Again n00b

Just FYI on my er2s the opening in the hammer was a little too small to fit my straight shot brand nelson springs. I took a very fine stone on my Dremel to open it up a little so the spring could seat all the way and not bind. Only one random nelson spring I had would fit in it.. But the springs you find may fit

Last edited by JeffS77; 11-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers