mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

I can vouch for the E tape solution. Just cut about 3/4 of an inch off and stick half of inside the back (beach side) of your barrel. Roll the other half on the outside before the threads. Massage down so there is no lumps and you should be fine for a good long while. Repeat on the opposite side if needed. I used this method for when my AKP's stupid tri-detent system finally crapped out. Shot just as well as any other barrel.
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

That's good to know, I haven't tried that one either. Don't think it will work on a Buzzard, they have a funny bevel on the barrel. The barrel stops the bolt in the forward position. If it isn't stopped just right it causes problems. Definitely keep it in mind for other guns.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

All of these methods work great. Nail polish will definitely work a whole day.

Another method someone mentioned in the past was a piece of yarn in between the barrel and body.

I think 3 "wedgits" (ball retainers) are best.

Another tip is that some older fixed barrel breech drop nelsons have a trigger frame screw that comes up right into the barrel. You can put some glue or whatever works on the tip of that screw and use it as a ball retainer also.

And I also have had PPS press in their wedgits to a few of my barrels, and its amazing. A .687 or even .689 barrel with wedgits is basically universal. These days I would want a .685 with wedgits though.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

During a final battle of a scenario game a couple years back, I suddenly noticed that the sniper I had switched to was getting terrible rollouts to the point of being unusable, so I had to field-improvise a detent. I was playing on the tape line, so I found a place where the field owner had used a little too much tape in tying off the caution tape to a tree and tore off some of the excess. Removing the barrel, a segment of tape was sandwiched in the rim of the barrel. It ended up working very well, though it was a little hard to unscrew the thing when the day was over.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ya my Supperstocker is a .685 with wedgits and I had the occasional rollout last year. This shrinking paint thing is getting old. I miss the days when paint didn't roll out of the PGP, when I didn't need detent rings in the Phantom.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

Also, tiny loop of thin fishing line in between the sandwiched barrel and the breach can work. I have not tried it personally though.
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
All hail RatFink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
Will nail polish last all day?
Yes, multiple days. and actually works pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
I think I will probably just go with a ASP detent mod for my Phantom at some point in the future. Everyone who has got it seems to universally give that fix the thumbs up.
I'll back that. ever since I got the ASP mod, I have never even sized a ball, or even thought about bore size. I love it and it shoots so nice (darts, titties, lasers, ectů).
Feedback
RatFink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks to all of you for the advice, it was much appreciated. Finally got to field with my Buzzard and nail polish detents. This fix worked perfectly, no problems, and it looks like I just put it on there. I'll be interested to see how it works with more brittle paint.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Born Again n00b

Nail Polish will last at least a few weekends of play EZ. I have it in a few barrels from summer last year and have not had to reapply. If I can I only do the top because if anything it may give the ball some back spin. If I have to I'll do 4, top, bottom and one on each side.

I have also done the tape method and it has worked on some markets and not on others. It has sometimes bunched and or been ripped off. Worst was the bolt pulling it back into the feed neck in the middle of a game. Couldn't figure out my it wouldn't feed

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers