mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Run?

Brass N Wood Fan
Splatmaster doesn't like Lelands?

I fielded my Splatmaster this past weekend and I made an unfortunate discovery. I received an order of 100 Leland 12 grams that work just fine with my other stock class guns (Phantom, PGP, etc.). However, each time I tried one in my Splatmaster, it immediately blew out the contents of the cartridge as soon as I tightened the plug - twice in a row. Thinking that there might be an issue with the gun, I tried out a cheaper cartridge I had left over from my last order and it worked great (I even bunkered a guy with it on Sunday ). What is it about the Lelands that the old Splatty just doesn't like? Worse comes to worst, I could always pick up a cheap pack of Crossmans specifically for the Splatmaster. But with about 95 Lelands left, I'd rather not if I didn't have to.

My Feedback Thread

JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Evil Sarah's did the same last summer, until you mentioned I forgot all about it. I'll tear that baby apart Saturday and see what gives..

Stay tuned bro!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Run?

Brass N Wood Fan
Thanks!

My Feedback Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm going to make a guess that the 12 grams are a bit on the short side. The Tippmann TiPX has an adjustment just for this. If you have a dial caliper you could measure them.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Run?

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
I'm going to make a guess that the 12 grams are a bit on the short side. The Tippmann TiPX has an adjustment just for this. If you have a dial caliper you could measure them.
That's a good thought. I measured my old cartridge with a set of digital calipers. It measures 83.20mm end to end. The Leland measures 82.67mm end to end. That's a difference of 0.53mm. Then again, is half a millimeter really that much? I can't imagine that the tolerances on a plastic gun from the '80s would be that tight. Would they?

My Feedback Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I don't see how length makes a difference in a bucket changer or in-the-grip 12 gram with threaded plug. The threads turn until the 12 gram punctures. It might take a few extra degrees to make up for .53 mm, but as long as there's enough thread, the interface between the punch and the 12 gram is unchanged.

Length could definitely affect a lever changer where the closed length depends on a long enough cartridge for enough pressure to seal.

If Lelands really are fuller than Crossmans, the extra pressure might explain it. I would also look closely at the puncture faces for any visible differences between the two brands.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think the necks are different. There's a bit of a "step" on a Leland neck, where a Crosman is a continuous taper.
I believe that this "step" inhibits a good face seal so some systems.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I know this sounds like a crazy whacked out idea to try. But when my splatty did that I tried putting a piece of Duct Tape over the tip of the canister and then cut the duct tape off around it, leaving only the tip with tape. And low and behold it stopped the canisters from leaking. This could just be a special case that worked for me, but I swore after tearing apart my splatty (easy part) I would never want to assemble it again (hard part lol)

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Run?

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
I think the necks are different. There's a bit of a "step" on a Leland neck, where a Crosman is a continuous taper.
I believe that this "step" inhibits a good face seal so some systems.
You are correct. The Lelands do have a stepped neck when compared to the Crossmans. However, looking at area around the puncture pin, I can't see any obstructions where the step would get hung up. So, I'm thinking that the likely source of the problem has to be at the point where the 12 gram is pierced by the pin. I think DashHopes may be on to something here with the tape idea. For whatever reason, it looks like the Lelands aren't making a clean seal in the Splatmaster. Now the real question is why.

My Feedback Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Well, ****. Here I was about to tear down my Splatties to figure out why they were doing this as well.

Going to have to scrounge around for a couple non-Leland 12ies and test.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers