mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
My Nelspot 007 restoration

I've always wanted to own a Nelly, but had never gotten around to picking one up. I've had plenty of Nelsons, including a Redux, and always liked them so I started a search for a 007 and snagged one recently in pretty good shape off here for a nice price. I've been bitten by the restoration bug, but so far have concentrated on Sheridans and PPS semi's when I wanted to challenge myself. I find it a nice diversion from my usually stressful day job and like bringing old guns back to life so I set about restoring this Nelspot to its original glory plus some extra performance tweaks to make it something I can use on the field.

Here is how it looked when I got it:

Some rusting, but overall not too terrible. There didn't seem to be any major scratches or pitting and it was all there mechanically. The internals were pretty stiff and I didn't even try to air it up.

I disassembled everything and discovered it hadn't been given a quick strip slot so I added that to the to-do list. Here are the pics of the pieces in the condition they came out of the gun:

The valve was particularly nasty. Looks like all original nelspot internals from what I've seen online. Next step was to strip it of the old peeling paint:

Fresh from stripping:

It's got some residual rust that I'll hit with some steel will and then some sand paper next.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
First pass was with the steel wool and the some 320 grit sand paper on the body:

The stripper did not work as well on the rail or frame so it will need another bath:

The valve after stripping:

And the screws and internal bits with some rust:

I was having a hard time getting all the rust out in the small crevices and read about naval jelly so I decided to use that on all the parts to dissolve the rust and hit the small parts.

Here's the valve after the naval jelly:

And after some light sanding with 600 grit:

I had bagged some of the screws already and forgot to snap a pic but here is some of the smalls fresh from a second bath in the naval jelly. They look almost new!

The rail and frame continue to be stubborn and after a second bath in stripper and some steel wool, I still have some more to do:

After the naval jelly on the body it also got the 600 grit:

Next up is the 800 on up to 1200 with some polishing compound to finish it up. So far it's been fun! I cut the quick strip slot and filed that out too so it's deburred and smooth. I'll take more pics after tonight's progress.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Great work so far. They really are a lot of fun to play with.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Wheee! I love restoration threads!
/subscribed

Areas of special interest:
|:| Autocockers |:| VM-68 |:| Sterling |:| Phantom |:|
Mugged2Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

very nice work so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
aka Maggy Moo

Navel jelly? Is that like Mar Mayo?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Just don't eat Naval Jelly on toast. And it's Naval (two a's) magmoormaster... Navel is either made from oranges... or gunk found in your belly button.

TO Manning... see if you can get the sleeve off the barrel. Use a piece of rubber or leather in the mouth of a wrench and you can probably twist it off now that it sat in naval jelly.

This way if you decide to paint it, you can coat things correctly. But, make sure you mask the outside of the barrel and the inside of the barrel sleeve if you do.

Otherwise, looks great. That valve stem is definitely an early one. I've never seen a tip like that before.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
Navel jelly? Is that like Mar Mayo?
I haven't had any experiences with the Mar Mayo to compare, though the Naval Jelly is pink in color...

The active ingredient in it is Phosphoric acid - and the jelly lets it stick to stuff.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Just don't eat Naval Jelly on toast. And it's Naval (two a's) magmoormaster... Navel is either made from oranges... or gunk found in your belly button.

TO Manning... see if you can get the sleeve off the barrel. Use a piece of rubber or leather in the mouth of a wrench and you can probably twist it off now that it sat in naval jelly.

This way if you decide to paint it, you can coat things correctly. But, make sure you mask the outside of the barrel and the inside of the barrel sleeve if you do.

Otherwise, looks great. That valve stem is definitely an early one. I've never seen a tip like that before.

E
Thanks for the tip on getting the barrel tip off. I tried using my kung fu grip but it wouldn't budge and almost appears to be fused to the feed tube. I have a strap wrench so I'll give it a go tonight. I definitely want it off to do the proper job.

Any suggestions on paint or other coating? I want something friction resistant that I can apply at home and have it wear reasonably well. I like the shiny metal but don't want it to rust. I've played bolt action before with a PGP but will most likely use the pump arm on this. Would something like engine paint or automotive laquer work better long term?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Depends on the colors you want. Most engine paints are black, red, blue and are usually somewhat shiny. You could try duracoat as it's flat, nearly indistructable and comes in many colors.

A strap wrench won't do it. I don't think there is enough space between the feed tube and barrel sleeve to fit the strap in there.

Best bet is Visegrip and rubber gasket material or an old leather belt.
E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers