mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Phantom Issues...

Alright, I've got a VSC Phantom that has a problem... Whenever I pump it after it's been aired up for a while it just vents down the barrel. If I let it sit for a while unaired then it works fine again. Anybody know what's wrong?
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Have you taken apart the air adaptor yet?
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, I haven't. Could something in there be contributing to the problem? I was thinking it had something to do with the valve.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
chuff chuff

That's what I'm referring to. Unless something is screwy and causing your hammer to push into the tube I think it would have to be a valve issue. Make sure that everything is screwed into place.
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Unimoose1 Send a message via Yahoo to Unimoose1

If you take the valve apart there is a white teflon looking piece called a cup seal. Usually venting down the barrel will involve the valve and the cup seal is the first place to check. Take the valve apart and make sure the cup seal isn't cracked or has something lodged into it.

My son got a new tank last year that was brushed aluminum. Something in the tank ended up getting through the ASA and hardline and finally lodged into the cup seal about 2 months later. Could be your culprit...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know if my problem has anything to do with yours, but my SL was doing the same thing. Turns out the tank I was using was almost empty. I just went to a filled tank and voila, all fixed.
Duckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

I was going to say, check the tank pressure.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cup seal and everything else in the valve looks good, and the tank pressure is good, I've used a tank and 12 grams with the same result. It doesn't leak all the time, only when left aired up for a while...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

It sounds to me like you have a pin leak somewhere in the system. When you first gas the gun up it has enough pressure to keep the powertube/cup seal closed. I am assuming your using 12 grams? Regardless a small leak over time will vent most of the gas. A Phantom or any nelson for that matter requires about 300-400 psi to hold the valve closed...hence why you cannot cock the gun when it isnt aired up. The only thing that could cuase this with the symptoms you describe would be a slight loss of pressure.

You can check for leaks many different ways. I would start of by tightening the pressure fittings on the elbows on the hardline. If that does'nt solve your problem then next tighten the Powertube retaining nut.

You can also do a leak check by filling up your bathtub with about 4-6" of water, gas the gun up and submerge the entire gun...you will see some small bubbles where the leak is occurring. if you perform the leak check and dont discover a leak that you may look into replacing the sear/hammer/bolt. On occasion these parts will wear out just enough that the bolt will smack into the sear which will smash the hammer into the power tube.

Is all the gas venting out or just a little POP!

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

I have seen the gun vent. It fires a few times and then vents all the gas in the 12gram out the barrel when you pump it. It's not a pop, it's like the valve locks open.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers