mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #101 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to Guapo

So I cleaned it up, threw on some air and put some paint down the barrel. Man o man, has paintball ever come a long way! I'm not sure I can play with it until I put some chrono time into it because it appears to be shooting hot. I think I can adjust the bolt and help adjust the speed, but I may be limited with the spring on it. I used to have a spring kit, but it'll take some digging and luck to find it.

I double fed a few balls and chopped one too. I'll have to practice with it a bit more to get the right stroke down (haha), but it shouldn't take long. It brings back a lot of memories of field stripping and squee-gees.

The barrel needs to be polished. Anyone have any advice on barrel cleaning? I was thinking of using a drill with a long soft brush or something.
Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #102 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Wow... I have been away for FAR too long...

The simple fix for double-feeding is to apply a few drops of nail polish in the breech.

My fix was to take a piece of 0.032" dia soft brass wire and bend it into a little loop. Insert the loop into the unused barrel mount. Bend the wire so it lays along the barrel. I inserted a plastic screw in the rear unused barrel mount hole, wrapped the free end of the brass wire around it and snugged the screw.

The result - anti-doublefeed nub. So simple that it only took 20 years to figure out.

Since my last post, I have purchased a Razorback III. It does have some really nice features (helicoils where screws go into the body, muzzle break, click detents on the velocity adjustment), but I still prefer the Reb.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 09-11-2012 at 02:40 PM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
MDJames, you GOTTA post those ads and stuff.
I wish i could, i sold them and a bunch of stuff to member ''Bacci Paintball''. I was in the process of moving and needed to get rid of some stuff.
MDJames73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #104 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Just a bit of head-scratchery here... What is the O.D. of a Freak insert?

Aluminum inserts are around .738 OD, with the SS ones running a thou larger. Overall length is 5.05"

Inside diameter of the freak back is .747, with the insert being held in place by a 18/70 o-ring.

HTRN

The question now becomes, how do we hold in in the barrel?

While I was looking into the idea above, I noticed something. The Reb is a breech drop, but just barely! The barrel ID is 0.027"(+/-) smaller than the ID of the breech. SO... if a way to use Freakoid inserts were created, a new bolt face may be required since the bolt is a full 0.70" OD (although the bolt tip is only 0.65" OD.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 09-15-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: FOUND IT...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #105 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Guys! Quick! Look at your Reb and let me know what color springs you have (Main/Valve). Mine is "popping" and I can't remember how I had the springs set up before I messed with it...

I got a new spring kit from Bacci. I put in a yellow main and red valve spring with a flippin' huge power tube (no number on it, but its fat) ID=0.190, so it's like a #6 with three ports. I went that route because it is what Carter used in his video about Nelson efficiency - of course he had a light-weight, fluted hammer, not the 49 gram brass block I have in my Reb.

We'll see what the velocity is, but... It cocks without air - The gun did that when it was brand new, and as I recall, that lead to velocities in the 250-260 fps range - of course that was with a different power tube (that one broke). My only other PT option is a #4. My suspicion is that it will actually shoot a little hot... But I won't know until I get to a field (hopefully Arkenstone in two weeks)

Last edited by ironnerd88; 10-29-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Did Stuff
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #106 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Relative Efficiency

The following is from an old post I put up in the ICD Desert Fox area. It's from a few years ago, but I think it is still useful information. None of these guns were chronied when I ran the test, but they seemed "pretty close", so take all this for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
OK, so I did something kinda weird today. I got a new Cocker and was seeing how many cycles (just cycles, no paint) I could get out of a 12 gram. Answer - 30. Then I thought I would load it up with some Wal-Mart paint (non-Chinese lead free). I got about 28 useful shots. From my old Reb Pump, I got 20. So then I grabbed my Fox (the gas hog) and tried it. Guess what, 25 shots, and it's just as accurate as the cocker... and MORE accurate than my pump (inside, I am crying) ... Just for kicks, I grabbed my Spyder TL loaner gun. 25 shots and louder than the Fox (and it has an after market barrel).

To recap:
Nelson Pump: 20 shots - Loudest
Autococker: 28 shots - Quietest
Fox: 25 shots - 2nd quietest*
Spyder: 25 shots - 2nd loudest

*With the Empire barrel, the Fox was the quietest.

Also, the cheap balls I was using were under .681 (the smallest barrel back I have), so the Cocker and the Nelson both drooled a bit. The Nelson also tended to double feed. The Fox and Spyder, being open bolts, were much more tolerant of tiny paint.

Kind of a fun experiment. I'll do it again once I get them all chronied to about the same speed, and have more paint.
I remember doing this experiment. I waited a second or so between shots, and it was a cool, rainy day - low 70's maybe high 60's. One thing this does point out is that my Reb is WAY out of tune! It's not even as efficient as a SPYDER!

As I said, I'll do it all again when I go to the field (access to chronograph and acceptable paint). The Difference being that this time I will be testing the following guns:

Desert Fox - 20 (no shock)
Reb - 30+ (maybe 35)
Razorback III - 40
Tigershark - 60+ (but probably shooting low)

Note: I loaned the Spyder a couple of years ago - have not seen it since (it's okay, my Bro in Indy is having a B-L-A-S-T with it)

I'll get them all to about the same FPS and using the same paint I'll check them over the chrony.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 10-26-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Did some more shooting off the back porch...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #107 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Just for giggles (and because I found it on my old PC):
Attached Images

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers