mcarterbrown.com

Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

New to Pump

Right. I'm sure this is not the first time this has been asked, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good beginner's pump marker. I'm hoping for under $200 (closer to $130 is a more likely upper end number, and closer to $100 is even more preferable), either open or stock class, but this being my first marker of the category just don't know where tot urn.
Any help is appreciated and my thanks go out to you.
THATGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well look in the Pump section in the classified section. I reccomend spending a little bit more on a Sniper (basically an Autococker with a pump) based pump. That way you get something that has a lot of parts available for it so you can customize it to suit your own needs. It also utilizes one of the most common barrel threads so finding barrels for it will be easy. Heck I might be selling some trilogy based pumps within your price range within a few days.
You have serious problems Himura. I remember when I first started buying guns I would oogle your collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I'm sad to say I've rejected some pretty choice poon before. Sometimes little Mayvik (brain) gets the better of big Mayvik (peen). I blame it on the a..aha ha ah...ah ah alcohol.
My MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post331126
himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I think it might be helpful to first figure out if you want a Sheridan (Palmer, Sniper, etc.) or Nelspot (Carter Comp, Phantom, etc.) type of marker since I think a lot of people prefer one style over the other; especially if this is going to be your only pump gun for the time being.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Currently, I believe I'm favoring the Nelspot design. The reason I didn't mention that earlier was simply because i have little experience and am really just looking for anything within the price range as I'll probably learn to like it quick enough since I'll have to adjust to play pump style anyway.
THATGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

used sniper

cant go wrong...

of if youre looking for something more along the lines of always working and not have to fix things then get a phantom kit with both stock class and right side feed tube body

if you have the money...buy a carter
souz4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Let's Go Mountaineers!

Send a message via MSN to SHOOT3R USA

The new open class Phantoms are about 180 on the CCI website but thats a little out of your price range.

MCB Feedback

Harb: SHOOT3R is genetically predisposed to be an idiot
Harb: he saves most of the idiocy for in here
SHOOT3R: so i was butt naked in this corn field right?
SHOOT3R USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to hvacman250

If you want a Phantom, PM what you want and I'll see what I can do. My store is PbPumpShop.com

I'll try to hook a first time pumper up

Al I have left for sale PB related is pump related headbands and tshirts.
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FallibleFlyer

You can find Tracers decently cheap and those are rather reliable old pumps.
FallibleFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Like you, I lean towards Nelsons (although I also have a Sniper). There are a lot of guns out there for not a lot of money.

EXAMPLE

Look around and keep asking questions. Some of the OLD nelsons are pretty impressive!

For right at $200, however, you can get a nice brand-spankin'-new Phantom. Unlike most other Nelsons, they are still in productions, and parts are readily available. You can get a freak system (although I would rather walk butt-naked in eight inch heals down main street Detroit that buy Smart Parts), more upgrades than you'll ever need, and a very large and fanatical group of fellow Phantom users.

A less costly route is to go with a TRRACER (a.k.a. Maverick). A simple nelson-based pump that works and has "NEW GUY" friendly features like anti-double feed and anti-double-cocking (which always sounds kinda dirty...). Like FallibleFlyer said, they can be had cheap and they work. A bunch have been made over the years, so parts can be found. Other than a few barrels here and there, though, there are no upgrades for this gun. Which is goon in a way since you'll spend your money on playing and getting better, rather than funky accessories.

There is also the Hornet (a.k.a. Tagmaster), which is a slightly "improved" Trracer/Maverick. The pump arms are moved under the barrel giving the gun a very sleek appearance. They cost more, but I dunno if they are worth the extra money.

Another option is the Tippmann SL-68 II. Almost no upgrade path, but it works and it's tough! And actually, it's a pretty darn nice gun. They have been out of production for a while, but they were used a lot as rentals so there are thousands out there. Just watch E-bay, the the For Sale threads here on MCB.

As for Snipers. Well, you get a lot of upgrade possibilities because they are autocockers without the "auto" bits. BUT, they don't have auto-triggers, and most cocker-bodies that you will find anymore have vertical feeds which makes aiming a little more difficult - and with a pump, you gotta AIM! But if you really want one, you can go here to get one cheap!

PUMP LIGHTNING

I build one on the same body with USED parts and it cost MORE! I still like my Nelsons better, but I needed something to tinker with, and loan out to friends. You can get one HECK of a lot of upgrades and do-dads for this thing, but other than a nice barrel, what do you need?

Hope this was helpful - sorry for the long rant.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lions, Tigers, and Bears...

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by THATGUY View Post
Right. I'm sure this is not the first time this has been asked, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good beginner's pump marker. I'm hoping for under $200 (closer to $130 is a more likely upper end number, and closer to $100 is even more preferable), either open or stock class, but this being my first marker of the category just don't know where tot urn.
Any help is appreciated and my thanks go out to you.
I would go with open class at first.
You probably already have a hopper and tank of some sort.
Just get a used Autococker and put a pump kit on it.
Thats the least expensive way for a decent pump.
You can always pick up a Trracer or Maverick cheap but you never know
if you will be able to adjust the velocity easily with them.
Unless they have the adjustable bolt its a pain.
And then theres no easy way to stop roll outs.

Last edited by going_home; 08-16-2008 at 05:14 PM.
going_home is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers