mcarterbrown.com

Old 10-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Red dot goodness

Found some time a few days back to fix up some short weaver/picatinny rail segments with dovetails on the back side so they would mount onto the stock 3/8 dovetails we usually have. Made my own cutter to do the dovetails. Not going to show a picture of the cutter since it was a quick hack job and deserves to be tossed. But it cut the aluminium like a knife through warm butter so I guess I shouldn't complain...

Anyhow, here's the results. Yeah, I know.... paintball guns aren't accurate enough to justify using red dot sights. But at least with these I can put my target dead on into the "circle of probability" of where the ball will go. And that can help a lot from what I've seen so far.

miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I actually used a red dot for a long time. It gave me some bad snapshooting habits but when I dialed it in within "paintgun range," as in only out to 50 feet max, I could pretty much guarantee hits on feet, hoppers and whatever was sticking out.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Sauté

Actually they are accurate enough to use red dots. Been doing it for years and when properly sighted in with a well tuned gun you can shoot nearly ball on ball.
Chefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

russc and chef are correct.

I used to have a hard time getting used to new guns and would have to add a sight to be capable of hitting the harder shots.

I set mine out to 50 or so feet the same as russc. So long as you have decent paint and a reliable gun your good to go.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I used the Ranger with a Crossman plastic open framed red dot for one of our pump days last year. It gave me a kill I still remember. It took me two balls to hit a gun sticking out from a shack up in the "town". I saw the gun flinch and then pull back for what I gather was a check and a sigh and then the hand came out with a crestfallen player.... I grinned in my mask.....

I wanted to change over to these nicer sealed units since the paint spatters on the cheap plastic open famed Crossman is actually melting into the plastic ! ! ! ! That and the relative fragility of the Crossman led me to this.

Also I'm a real dud for snap shooting so far. So I gotta "cheat" and rely on tricks like my red dots. When I snap shoot the only thing in danger is the refs, my team mates and birds in the trees.....
Old 10-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

red dots work great on pb guns. i have a few guns with red dots and they put the ball where you want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

i swear by the armson sights. and red dots arent any different. i feel they do help. i always wondered if there was something like you made. nice, um, rail, railgun
2shots1kill
chongballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
The Armson and Dye sights are awesome. Instead of a red dot (aiming with one eye open), you keep both eyes open, and look in and around the sight. It's actually very nice when using centerfeed hoppers and the like. I actually have one on a .22 rifle I have, and it works wonders nailing those friggin' red squirls lol. I think it's called an occulated sight....or something like that.

<b>Pro-Dot Red Dot Sight - Armson
Dye Izon Red Dot Sight | Paintball Review | pbreview.com - Dye Izon

Only problem I ever noticed with these is in poor lighting, night games, or if the front part is covered in something (like paint :P ) it gets hard to see the dot, since it relys on light to work.
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen View Post
...Only problem I ever noticed with these is in poor lighting, night games, or if the front part is covered in something (like paint :P ) it gets hard to see the dot, since it relys on light to work.
Mount a powered up white LED on the back side of your vertical feedneck that shines into the front of the Armson? I'd pay money to see you running around in a night game with the white LED shining away on the feedneck..... Talk about getting "lit up".....

The term is "occluded" as in "occlusion" or blockage with the 'ed version being an adjectival form. [english grammar lesson mode off]

I've set up one gun for an occluded setup and while I had no issues with it in the woods it really does cut down on your overall light gathering as only one eye is seeing the woods. Out in the sun it's not an issue at all but I found that being able to look through and gather a little more light with the red dot eye helped in the dimness of our local forests.

Next up is to look at an offset mount for my favourite vertical feed guns just for this same reason.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Chongballa, there is a dovetail to picatinny adapter but they want like $15 or $20 for them off Ebay and they are quite a bit taller at around 3/4 inch. For $10 I got three of these flatter mounts and spent about 10 minutes each on the mill to cut the dovetail into the base of them.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers