mcarterbrown.com

Old 07-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wanting to get into pump play--Need autococker advice

I’ve recently been doing some heavy thinking about getting into playing pump paintball. I already posted something like this earlier in the summer, but now thanks to my job, I have the necessary $$$ to spend on pump gear….which brings me to a couple of problems.

Help me pick something!

I’ve been looking at all sorts of pump guns but have finally decided to stick to autococker pumps/snipers and stay with play open class play. What Im have trouble on is figuring out what gun/body to use as my “base.” I’m into modding and tinkering and the thought of building a gun from the ground up seems not only challenging but fun. So for my body/internals (I call this my “base” as in my mind everything else is built off of the body/internals) I have limited it down to three main choices:

Old Autocockers (WGP) A body like this but Vert. Feed
This is my first choice, and would really like to stick it out and get one of these. The simplicity of body and design really appeal to me, and as a whole I plan to build a very simple/clean sniper. I’m aiming to get either a vertical feed (I gotta have a vertical feed) body or complete gun. How much would this cost? I hear that older autocockers are pretty cheap these days. I do have some concerns about this path as I was hoping to get some more information on:
  1. What are the significant changes in these guns from one year to another?
  2. How reliable are they
  3. Are spare parts hard to come by?
  4. They can run off of HPA correct? (just to make sure)
  5. How hard is it to find one of these vert feed bodies?
  6. Can the feed neck be changed on these older bodies?
Prostock LINK
A back up option as I would like to stick with an older autococker (I would pick the cheaper of the two)

SuperStock LINK
Same as the above, this is a back up option as I would like to stick with an older autococker (I would pick the cheaper of the two)

A Piece-by-Piece Plan

I’m going to go up front and state that I plan on half blocking this gun! Keep that in mind if you make any advice please

Body
This is the most difficult part as I don’t really know how to go about purchasing all of this. Namely I don’t know if I should purchase an entire gun and then only use the parts that I wanna use, or to buy it all piece by piece? (Please answer!!!) Another big concern is that if I end up buying just a body to start with, I dont know what internals are required, and are specific/different internals required if the gun is half blocked?

Pump Kit
I would really just like a cheap, simple pump kit. Smoothness and all that jazz dosent really worry me….I just want the gun to shoot. Any recommendations?

Grip Frame
I would like to have a single trigger trame, but once again, I don’t really wanna spend a whole lot of money on one. I know there are things such as hinge and sliding trigger frames (what type of advantages do these offer?) but I would just like a simple ol single trigger frame….does such a thing exist? Any recommendations?

Regulator
I would like to go all out here and get something nice. I’m considering Palmers. Any recommendations?

Vertical ASA
Cheapest one I can find, unless there is something I should know

ASA
I already have one

Barrel
I will worry about this later.

Thats pretty much as much of a plan as I have right now. Please post any information or advice, as I really need some

*Note*
This is posted on multiple forums in an attempt to get as much informatio and advice as possible
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

just buy a working vert feed sniper...then go from there

older markers are a bit more of a pain to find parts...post 2k cockers still have parts everywhere, and they can all run on HPA (pre and post 2k)
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

i got a t2 its sweet thats if ya jus wanna buy and shoot out the box
my back up a ans x4 shoots just as good
quickspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Wow... To start..

What are the significant changes in these guns from one year to another?
That's a long list. I'd start here
Autococker Dating

How reliable are they
- Without the pneumatics on a cocker, there isn't much to them. Once you get one put together and sealed up I doubt you'll have any problems for a long time to come.

Are spare parts hard to come by?
- Not at all

They can run off of HPA correct? (just to make sure)
- Yes.

How hard is it to find one of these vert feed bodies?
- Well really old and vert feed don't go hand in hand (see the guide). Other than that vert feed bodies are all over the place.

Can the feed neck be changed on these older bodies?
- From right feed to vert for instance? No. Some verts do have removable feednecks, some do not.

My advice..
Try and find a reasonably priced mechanica cocker that you like (maybe with some upgrades), put a pump kit and start there. You can replace anything at a later date but buying individual parts like that will cost you a lot more in the long run. I would suggest a CCM pump kit though.

Oh, one more thing. If you've never owned a cocker (especially an old stock one) I'll say this... they're a brick. Newer ones are much lighter weight as well as a bit prettier.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

yes heavy ...... jus get a ccm the warranty and customer service is great and guns shoot great
quickspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

i have an 05 prostock (superstock body but no eye wholes). its in the sig. lmk and we can work out a deal. its got a barrel kit and some really nice parts. ccm pump kit. and i have a tank in need of hydro i can throw in if you need one.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

your not buying a house or a car no need for the way overboard research,overthinking and all that bit,buy a cheap good condition pump gun from a reputable seller. there are heaps of them.

go to the paintball field and try it out,if you dont like it,sell the gun,no harm no foul
Gogged_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

First off, if I could afford to buy a T2 then I wouldn't have had a need to make this post...

Thanks for that link MaD I bookmarked it and skimmed through it. From the looks of it I need to look at 2k2 cockers and beyond.

Im still concerned about half blocking it. Do you have to have specific internals and/or parts to run a halfblock. For instance I know you need a sled and probably a cut down bolt, any other specific internals I need?

Last edited by Blitzen; 07-30-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I'm not a fan of halfblocks so I'm not the best resource on that. I think you need the bolt, sled, pump arm and slotted hammer. I'm with gogged gurl though. Just buy something complete that you think you might like and go from there. For instance here's a cheap lightning with most of the parts you need except the lower tube internals:
Project and Parts for sale
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
I'm not a fan of halfblocks so I'm not the best resource on that. I think you need the bolt, sled, pump arm and slotted hammer. I'm with gogged gurl though. Just buy something complete that you think you might like and go from there. For instance here's a cheap lightning with most of the parts you need except the lower tube internals:
Project and Parts for sale
Well I agree that it would probably be best to buy a full marker, its just that I am going to half block it and I dont wanna have to throw away internals and buy new ones. Im sorta hoping Jcurt will come in here and explain.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers