mcarterbrown.com

Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Summer's a-commin'

I'll also say - it's personal preference. To get into stockclass you probably couldn't go wrong either way. If you're looking at performance for money? - a used Phantom off the B/S/T list. Buy it, play with it, figure out what you would change, order a Gargoyle/Carter/Redux with said changes, sell Phantom for what you paid for it, et voila - your perfect Nelson-based marker!

I can think of many ways you may wish to improve the efficiency and performance for a Phantom (spring kits, bobbed valve, slide trigger from RTR (eventually), various grips from ASP, various bore sizes (i.e. drill stock barrel for freak inserts or small bore barrels with Phantom threads)), and you could probably do all these with the GG as well. Though, maybe not as easily.

As for the Phantom .45 grip frame, I agree the mounting points for the Hogue grips are too low; however, I never have noticed it being a problem when playing.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyrne View Post
I'll also say - it's personal preference. To get into stockclass you probably couldn't go wrong either way. If you're looking at performance for money? - a used Phantom off the B/S/T list. Buy it, play with it, figure out what you would change, order a Gargoyle/Carter/Redux with said changes, sell Phantom for what you paid for it, et voila - your perfect Nelson-based marker!

I can think of many ways you may wish to improve the efficiency and performance for a Phantom (spring kits, bobbed valve, slide trigger from RTR (eventually), various grips from ASP, various bore sizes (i.e. drill stock barrel for freak inserts or small bore barrels with Phantom threads)), and you could probably do all these with the GG as well. Though, maybe not as easily.

As for the Phantom .45 grip frame, I agree the mounting points for the Hogue grips are too low; however, I never have noticed it being a problem when playing.
The Ghost can use the same springs as a Phantom, you can bob a Ghost's valve the same as a Phantom's, and you can always just have other Spyder threaded barrels turned down to fit through the pump handle, or you can buy a PPS barrel and have it fit just as it is. As for grips, Sheridan grips will fit if you drill a tiny hole in the grip, or if you use a dremel or something and take off this one little protrusion on the Ghost's frame that helps the grips align properly.

Classic Mag
2006 Grey Ghost #308, SC Brassterling, Super Stocker
06 Cyborg, PM8 LE Canary, Hybrid NXT, Geo 2.05, E-Tac

(MCB) Feedback
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Yes I noticed that PMI grips were just a hair away from fitting when I tried.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
SGP
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB View Post
Phantom.
Peace
I see how you got your "Post Whore" status. Not very helpful, IMO.

I think reasons, if any, to go with Ghost would be, in order of significance:

1. Sliding adjustable trigger
2. Pump stroke
3. Efficiency

Reasons to go Phantom:

1. Accessories and options
2. Better support
3. Better price

Beyond that, they perform so similarly it does not matter. This whole "one shoots straighter than the other" is make-believe.

Also, any Spyder threaded barrel with an outer-diameter of 7/8" or less will fit with the pump. I use a Palmers one myself.
SGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Another thing to consider is noise.There is no such thing as "quiet as a ghost"when using one.My phantom is a quiet gun.
A bobbed valve on a ghost ??If only I could find a spare valve body ??
Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

SGP, I'd put the anti rollout nubbin detent down as a better feature than the pump stroke or efficieny but that's just me.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Fair Weather Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to angelpena Send a message via Skype™ to angelpena

get em both
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

The new ghost is madly under-rated at least as far as resale value goes IMO.

It doesn't have the support or modularity of the phantom.

The pump arm screw may or may not start loosening itself like old ghost ones do

But from what I know, the ghost out of the box is a better gun for sure. There isn't much you can do to make the phantom better except get used to it to the point that the lapco feels awkward.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I own both, and my opinion on the Ghost is summed up best by the comparison.

I place the Ghost on par with Phantoms EXCEPT:

The nubbin detent was just great - simple, effective, and I don't have to mess with it. It is easier to assemble / disassemble thanks to the "phuzzard" mod basically already done.

However, in my experience CCI customer service is beyond excellent and its the one thing that keeps me hanging onto a Phantom and not trading it out for a second Ghost. I don't know if the Ghosts are miles better I just think they have all the "little things" that make them a bit easier.

That being said, if tomorrow you said I had to chose one and plan on keeping it 5 years to use - it would be the Phantom - yeh I think CCI makes that much of a difference. Not saying anything bad about Lapco, but CCI should be the benchmark that other companies strive for IMO.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

i defiantly like the phantom more. the GG is a phantom with a detent mod, nothing else is superior on the GG. pump strokes the same, efficiency is the same, phantom has more mods and upgrades, phantom is cheaper, CCI is way better then lapco about CS, phantom is modular.

i guess if you think the detent mod is worth the extra money, by the GG. otherwise just get a phantom and be happy.
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers