mcarterbrown.com  

Rainman's Custom Corner MCB member Rainman229, does some excellent custom work. See what he can do for you...

Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

First time with Rainman UC kit a bit rough....

So Im trying to figure out if this is normal or not. I took my phantom out today for the first time and well its just not what I expected. Its so super picky. I have to cock all the way back and then all the way forward really hard it seems and the springs dont seem to really do their job. I read that a lot of folks cut the pump arm to help with stablility and I wonder if this would help me too. The springs are about 1/8 of an inch short so I dont think theres enough spring tension to kick it forward and keep it there. Here a picture of the springs.

Im not really wanting to cut it down because I dont know really what Im doing but if I have to to make it work right I will. And on another note the pump stroke seems a bit rough too. Does it help to put a drop of oil down the pump arm inside the body? Thanks for the help in advance.
eluminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just Another Smith

Send a message via AIM to Rainman229

Oil won't hurt anything.
Stretch the springs out a littlle and throw the one on the pump rod in the upper tube of the pump handle .

Also how is the pump stroke with the body removed?

Making paintball fun again

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ght=rainman229
Rainman229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman229 View Post
Oil won't hurt anything.
...throw the one on the pump rod in the upper tube of the pump handle .
Im not following you there....You mean switch the bottom spring with the top spring?

Im not sure how the pump is with the body off. I took it apart once and for the first time and had such a problem getting it back together im really not looking forward to taking it off again. Are you curious if maybe the pump rod channel is a mess?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ok I went for it and took the arm off. I did switch the top spring with the bottom spring (hopefully thats what you meant) and stretched them out some. I disassembled it all and q-tip cleaned it a bit and then dropped some oil in each one of the arm holes and its really smooth until it randomly seems to catch somewhere along the line. I resassembled it all and still the same. Its smooth sometimes but all and all its not nearly what I was expecting. It does seem smoother when not attached to the marker until it catches that is, if that is note worthy. Should I disassemble it and clean out the rod holes in the pump handle? What else could it possibly be?

Last edited by eluminx; 05-20-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Just Another Smith

Send a message via AIM to Rainman229

Not what i meant. The take the spring you have on the pump rod off. Once it's off, take that spring and drop it in the upper(bigger) hole in the pump handle so you don't see it anymore. they run smoother with a spring in the handle

Making paintball fun again

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ght=rainman229
Rainman229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ok I think I know what you mean. Take the bottom rod's spring off, put it in front of the main (top) rod and put it all back together.

Last edited by eluminx; 05-20-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pumps in the Woods

Brass and Wood Fan
Do they really run smoother with the spring in the handle?

The time i tried it the spring bunched up in the tube and I couldn't get a full pump stroke out of it.

Eluminx, take the spring you have on your pump arm off the pump arm and drop it into the big hole in the pump handle leave the spring on the lower rod there. Then put the handle back on the phantom and reassemble everything.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty." Clint Smith

Last edited by volunteer paintball; 05-20-2013 at 12:43 PM.
volunteer paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ok I follow you. Thanks. Hopefully that helps. It still sticks sometimes so I think I'm going to clean it up as much as I can and hope that will help too.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ok I just did it and its not working out well. Its binding like volunteer paintball said. Its not bad for a few strokes then it binds pretty badly. Any other ideas Rainman?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
engineer minded

For the in handle spring to work the spring diameter needs to be smaller then the rod that is pushing it. Otherwise you get binding as the spring slips over the rod and pinches in the handle. Just my 2 ccents
IOG
Also on customcockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Some people are penny wise, and dollar foolish.
Vitalsilence is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Rainman's Custom Corner