mcarterbrown.com

Rare, Old Guns This is a catch all sale forum for pump, double action, or semi auto's built prior to 1995 Old Parts for these guns are also welcome here

Old 09-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Gah! I guess I didn't sound serious enough.

Whoever bought it, enjoy her!

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
They were made by the same company that makes teh Rap4 guns (which should give you a clue on teh quality of those) and were impiorted one time. After no one could get them running or keep them running, they stopped.
I have to respectfully disagree the RAM "Real Action Marker" is not poor quality I have used these for training for many years with very few minor problems. I will agree that the other stuff they sell has less than a stellar reputation ie; shotgun, glock, T-68 series markers but the RAM otherwise known as the RAP4 is a killer little marker.

Both are made by Qwan Wei or Yei or something like that. The metal is questionable on all their stuff. I asked KT to retool the safety lever on the RAM due to problems with the cast iron breaking while doing drills but other than the lever I have had no problems.

The unit is a bugger to tear down if you want to get into the core. I avoid this at all costs but have never needed to get inside of it. As for the S-4 it is a PIA from what I understand.

Is it not based on the VM or Double VM?

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Talking you don't want one of those.

Titus, trust me...you don't want one of the s-4s. You would get it, see that it is all ****ed up, then realize you wasted money that could have been spent on your lawyer or your dog and then try to pawn it off on me for the same amount plus shipping.

BtW, PM me your current address. MO is in hand.

Love,

Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Gah! I guess I didn't sound serious enough.

Whoever bought it, enjoy her!
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
I have to respectfully disagree the RAM "Real Action Marker" is not poor quality I have used these for training for many years with very few minor problems. I will agree that the other stuff they sell has less than a stellar reputation ie; shotgun, glock, T-68 series markers but the RAM otherwise known as the RAP4 is a killer little marker.

Both are made by Qwan Wei or Yei or something like that. The metal is questionable on all their stuff. I asked KT to retool the safety lever on the RAM due to problems with the cast iron breaking while doing drills but other than the lever I have had no problems.

The unit is a bugger to tear down if you want to get into the core. I avoid this at all costs but have never needed to get inside of it. As for the S-4 it is a PIA from what I understand.

Is it not based on the VM or Double VM?
Wel, i do know the RAM4 works (and know how much of a pain it is to get the paint to break at field velocities.. or at all), has a Gen4 one a while back. Neat gun, but like all of Quian Wei's stuff, poor metal, poor machining... Basick low quality chinese goods.

Teh S4 was from before tehy got the hit that is the RAM4, and was vaugly based off of the VM knockoff they had, only really sharing the valve and teh body extrusion. Past that, the middle tube now holds the valve train, with a floating sear out one side of the body, and 2 bolts on either side.

Such a setup could work, but it would probably need to run more off of a tippman floating valve setup, and have an internal setup like a 68 special.

Punisher did a TON of work to one, and got it to function somewhat OK. I had one, that came from Weltman, and then passed to Kindred. I think it worked once when it was new for 10 shots or so.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The S4's problem is that it requires more air to shoot and cycle than the valve can provide. The hammer is massive requiring lots of blowback, double barrels require lots of air to shoot, but the valve is only a very slightly modified VM68 valve.
Playing around with the springs, and doing light modifications to the valve does not really help. As others have stated, the gun will sometimes work, and sometimes it won't. I'm guessing it depends on the time of day, humidity, temperature, and the position of the moon.
If I were to get my hands on one now, I would probably try to turn it into electro-pneumatic or spool valve type marker. As a blowback it is a failure.

The innards without the bolt springs (you can just see one on the right side) (the springs run from the back of the bolts to the back of the marker):

The hammer compared to a Blazer hammer:
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Probably already been thought of, but anyone tried running it with a siphon tank for a little extra "oomph"?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Damage Inc. Emperor

When I had the S4 it fired but had low velocity. I ported out the pathways which apparently diverted too much air to where it wouldn't re-cock. Before I could go further the ASA burst off and if it weren't for the extra screw I would have had a boomerang in my basement. The hole was a large diameter but very fine threads and of course crappy metal.
The Weltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

what if the hammer was lightened? would that improve the recocking? I think the hammer is too heavy.

and yeah, you need a minimum of 800 psi to get the marker to cycle properly and 1000 psi for it to shoot above 270 fps.

smiley
Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Where to find a Chinese S4? Are they Rare.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

I run mine on syphon, it works fine. its just so uncomfortable to shoot
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Rare, Old Guns