Found on Kijiji: BE LB Comp Nightmare
So this is my first "find," if it can be called that. I remember a week or two ago someone had posted another found Nightmare, with a Crosman stock, I think. Fast forward to yesterday, I was browsing Kijiji looking for used shotgun stocks for another project, when I happened across an ad for "Brass Eagle Paint Gun (Shotgun)."
The previous owner had found it at a repossession auction - allegedly it had been left in a car that was seized.
Here it is all in pieces... It was covered with dried silver paint, the internals were a thick black sludge, and there was crusty goo on it from where someone had tried to tape a hopper onto it, probably many years ago...
But underneath it all, everything wasn't in bad shape... The anno has its share of scuffs and dings, the bolt had a little pitting, but surprisingly all the o-rings appeared in good condition, nothing dried out or cracked. However, I don't have any C02 powerlettes to test it with, so it'll just look pretty until next season.
And here it is, all back together, freshly oiled! I was reading the instructions posted on Vintagerex.com, and noticed the "Do not lose the small spring and ball above the safety" part... Well, someone already beat me to that, I had wondered why the safety was so loose... Either way, I scrounged a perfect replacement spring out of a spare toggle switch, and fashioned a new ball-pin out of a finishing nail. The safety has a satisfying click now, and stays where you put it.
One thing I forgot to photo before I put it back together - The barrel isn't scratched at all! Still mirror-like inside. I was especially happy to find that.
Edit: Aired it up today - no luck. Vents down the barrel, despite the pristine-look of the orings. Sigh.
That is dope as F**k!!!
I hate you. Really, I do.:bang:
Good job. Very cool find.
The only thing I've ever found was a 150$ nelson of some sort....why are you guys so lucky?
A very nice find.
Nice find! The long pump handles are relatively rare.
Do you happen to have step-by-step disassembling and re-assembling photos? And how about a picture of the tools (especially the valve tool) needed for it?
Sorry, I didn't take more photos than what you see here, I was just following the "Tech Tips" pages posted on Vintagerex.com when I disassembled it. However, despite the apparent good condition of the o-rings, I suspect I will still have to replace most, if not all, of them. If the archives need more pictures, I would be happy to take more at that point.
As for the tools, the marker didn't come with those either - I had to fabricate them myself as I went. THOSE I can provide you with pictures of. I'll snap a few next time I'm in the garage.
I really appreciate if you can snap those tools pics. I just couldn't disassemble mine completely because I don't have the tools nor know how to fabricate them but some pics might help for sure if I ever get to have some fabricated.
Hey again Mendel,
So here's what I made, the first two pictures are just some closeups and "in-progress" shots.
Found a scrap piece of tube with the same diameter as the co2 seat, used a variety of files to give it two little notches to mate with the indents. This piece is actually kind of unnecessary, if you undo the two set screws you can actually pull the whole assembly out and unscrew the seat with any long, flat piece of metal. However, with this "socket" I made, I don't HAVE to pull the whole thing apart to clean the screen or replace the co2 seal, which is neat...
Here you can see I've squashed a piece of epoxy putty between the two pieces (the co2 seat was oiled to prevent it from sticking). This will form a sort of "guide" so the notches stay in place while I'm applying force.
All dried and trimmed clean, and glued in place.
In the background you can see I press-fit a proper socket into the other end of the tube (I didn't mind sacrificing it, it's a spare socket I found in the dirt when I moved into my house. Plus I have several other full sets already...). In the foreground you can see the piece of... I think it was 3/8" steel rod. It was just what I had handy at the time, it's not QUITE as wide as the brass valve it unscrews, but close enough. Again, a little time on the grinder to get the width of the blade right, then I used a hacksaw to cut out the notch in the middle. Needle files cleaned up the cuts and edges. If you have a big flathead screw-driver with a wide enough blade, that would work just as well, too.
However I opted to use the steel rod because I could give it a nice little bend, and file a box onto the other end that fits into the socket! I can unscrew the back of my Nightmare, and insert that long socket as if it were a co2 cartridge, and with the handle/valve screwdriver, it all screws apart. Now all I need to take apart the Nightmare are these two tools! (And the piece of wooden dowel not pictured, for pushing the internals out once everything is loosened).
Hope that helps, or at least gives you some ideas!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC