mcarterbrown.com  

Redux Home of the Redux

Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Thumbs up "Redux" of DSA's Forty Seven

I sent Steve my duck about a year and a half ago, for numerous repairs and “upgrades”. Originally I had asked him to repair my slammer (it was leaking), add a millet sight, and make a snub with a removable freak barrel. The reason for the snub was to solve rollouts which were frustrating me to no end at the time! The new snub and freak barrel were finished in a short time, but Steve was running into a problem with the slammer repair. He was able to get it to seal about 95% of the time, but the other 5% of the time it still leaked.

It is no secret that I was getting antsy and frustrated with the wait! A few weeks ago, I asked Steve if he could just make me a twist handle frame to replace the slammer frame. In less than 2 weeks the frame was finished and installed to create my reduck. No it's not a typo, I like to think of it as a hybrid between a Redux and a Carter duck, since it using parts from both guns. Carter parts: slide, rail, valve, hammer, bolt, and springs. Redux parts: snub, barrel, frame, trigger, and in-handle twist knob.

Pictures from Steve (prior to the millet sight being added):

My crappy camera phone pictures:

Seeing the end result in person is even more amazing. It points and shoots like a dream, with the important added bonus of being able to use freak inserts for today's paint. Steve also was kind enough to make a stainless steel ring to cover the gap between the valve and the snub, which you can see in the picture below .

I was told with the new freak snub/barrel, the pistol was getting 30 useful shots with the last shot chronoing at 260. That was already an 7-8 shot improvement over the old slammer setup, and I would be happy going to the field and playing with those numbers. In fact, I took the reduck to the field this past Saturday, and with the freak barrel upgrade I was able to get 7 eliminations my first game (against renters though)! Let me tell you, not having to worry about rollouts is a huge relief (the original bore of the old snubs is .691)! Before leaving the field, I did a chrono test, and ended up with the following FPS results:

Specs for both tests:
  • .682 SS freak insert
  • .679-.683 WPN Toxic (40$ field paint)
  • 6.25" redux barrel
  • Yellow (weak) main spring
  • Red (strong) valve spring, with a seat. (basically a small metal nub behind the valve spring, give the spring a higher tension)
  • ~70*F
  • 4-5 seconds between shots
  • Carter powertube with a .195" ID, with 3 inlet ports. Basically a very high flow powertube.
  • Carter venturi bolt and hammer (around 45grams for Test 1)

Test 1
260 - shot 10
259 - shot 20
243 - shot 30
-
That's about 30 shots above 250, not bad!

I'm sure if I had used higher quality, consistently sized paint the velocity would have been higher and more consistent. As it was, some shots the balls were not underbored well.

However, I am a huge tinkerer and while 30 shots above 250 is already great, I wanted to see if I could push that number to 40 shots. I went home and polished all the internals and points of contact to a mirror shine using my buffing wheel, and I milled my hammer down to 30 grams. It's kind of difficult to see the slots I milled, but it is modeled after the style of the original Lapco lightweight hammers.

I will let the results speak for themselves.

Test 2
268 - shot 10
250 - shot 20
255 - shot 30
250 - shot 40
251 - shot 43
201 (shot number 47!)

I did it!!! I tied DSA !!

I was using the exact same setup and paint as before, with the only difference being the polished internals and lightened hammer. In my opinion, 250 is about the absolute minimum effective velocity unless I am shooting very close. Taking that into account, that's a change from 31 shots above 251 to 42 shots above 251, an 11 usable shot improvement!

My next step is to try shooting some consistent-sized high quality paint (ultra evil), underbore with a .680 brass insert from worrptangl, and get an extended Redux barrel. I think combining those features may net me a shot count up to 50 shots above 250. I am also thinking of installing a valve diffuser sleeve to try and even out my velocity curve.

To end, I would like to thank Steve for his patience, hard work and putting up with my *** in updating a classic into a modern day paintslinging machine!

PS: I am using this with no lube between the slide and snub..despite that, the action is very smooth!

Last edited by ironchef97; 04-05-2011 at 04:24 AM.
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Damn fine results iron! Honestly other than the knob and trigger hole alignment I would be hard pressed to tell a difference in the craftsmanship of you trigger frame. I actually like Steves trigger holes much better. To me the seem more in line but that's just my opinion. I am however really diggin Earon's duck tail it's way cool indeed. Lastly you went light and it worked out perfect. I now need to rethink my old school ways

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
X0317

Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
Man, when Steve is done with the Reduxs' I may have to ask him about getting mine worked on. I would KILL for an extended, freaked barrel on my duck.

Looks awesome Chef, good on ya! Every time I see that duck of yours, I am reminded of how jealous I am of the tail, it's the little things that really pull them together.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
About time you let the masses see this work of art! I see why you waited though. Now post it to the Carter section and the circle will be complete.

Now all you need is a shiny extended barrel and the world will be yours!
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by worrptangl; 04-05-2011 at 11:35 AM.
worrptangl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eric

Send a message via Skype™ to lechooch

WOW, good for you!!! You will have to let be fondle it sometime
Youtube Chanel:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLechooch/videos
Feedbackhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
lechooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
While I'm happy that you got it the way you want it... the world has lost another slam change duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Slam changers, as cool as they are, seem like a huge PITA to me for they always seem to be finicky with 12gram length and constantly seem to need adjustment. Either way, nice duck.

One day I will get my hands on some form of duck or another, even if I have to make one myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Actually he still has the slam frame just not installed
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I think you beat me Iron, I just took a look and my 46th shot was at 161 and the 47th had no reading but hit the fence. Either way the "Tweaking Challenge" is set you have done the unthinkable and that my friend is ducktacular!

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
That's awesome Iron! Truly Awesome!

There's been a lot of discussion about lighter hammers and larger power tubes and various springs. I'll see if I can find the thread. I think it was the Review of the TPC and Hammer from ASP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Redux