mcarterbrown.com

Redux Home of the Redux

Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
it's not brain science !

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The two protruding screws act as back stops so you won't get the valve pop from the pump slot being too long . The scratch on the bottom side of the snub is caused by one of the compensator screws being a bit too long and sticking out the other end .
tedaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Tedaut - The screws are not too long, it is actually from the tapped holes themselves. The threads go all the way through to the inside of the slide and were not totally flush. You can't see it in that picture but there are scratches from each of the rear screw holes.

Others - The screws are indeed the slide stop to prevent valve opening on pump. I actually lengthened these (making a slightly shorter throw) since the picture in an effort to stop the balls popping up. It did not work. The gun feeds fine as long as I pump slowly, but any fast pumping will not load a ball regardless of the guns angle.

DSA - The TPC is not protruding from the bolt, it is turned in just past flush.

Short304 - If you want to retape your slide to remove wobble I would recommend using aluminum tape. It is used in duct work and is basically adhesive aluminum foil that is nice and flat. I have used it in tuning many other guns including my Retro 7 and it has worked great. Just make sure you burnish the surface of the tape to get it fully adhered and flat.

Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I just always pumped mine slowly and deliberately with no jerking motion and never had an issue other than the valve pop. I did hand it to guys at the field and saw them have the problem with a rough and tough action.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Stockclass player

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I pump mine pretty quickly, I found a nice fluid motion and a tilt towards the ground kept it feeding nicely

MCB Feedback
Ebay Feedback
mailmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Hellion, check out this video, it's not a great video due to the camera being tilted to far down, but it shows my cocking technique. If you have followed the threads here in the Redux Section you will take note that the Redux is not made for super fast snap shooting.

I have always said the Redux is not for everyone and I mean that. It's is a modern day recreation of one of paintballs true classics. It's not a snap shooter or a fast pumping marker. In my opinion this is the very reason that some folks are disappointed in the Redux. These folks simply don't do their homework on either the marker or their own style of play. Lots of folks try to make the argument that some other Ducks offer better pump ability, but they have missed the point of the Redux completly.

Although the VKC Dux is an attempt to address some of the issues folks were having along with some of the requested features others wanted the design in itself will never compete with an auto triggering beast like a CCM or Phantom, the slide limits it's abilities. This of course is just an opinion as I have never seen the VKC in real life so I am not really qualified to say what the VKC can or cannot do.

I would like to address the side wobble, think of like a Kalashnikov as opposed to an M4. The Kalashnikov is somewhat sloppier but that is by design. The M4 however is a tight little unit that although prettier is a flawed design for its intended purpose which is war fighting. The AK can be dropped in mud and sand which is where most war fighting takes place and regardless is still ready for action. By contrast, try getting a few grains of sand and muck in the upper receiver of the M4 and it will fail almost everytime. Now take the Redux, it's built for play in the elements. The slop allows for you to get some dirt in between the slide and snub without doing much damage to the unit. Now tighten that slop, pretty, yes, but try pumping the slide and you will get a grinding sound which will ultimately cause damage to your marker. Regardless of slop or no slop the accuracy is not noticably affected because in truth the slide pretty much rotates around the snub and paint balls are not really "that" accurate to begin with.

Please understand my intention is not to take up for the design of the Redux, but rather state the truth so others can make an informed decision about whether or not to purchase a Redux. lthough I'm not sure how Rick or Mongo feel about my opinion, I do know one informed happy buyer is worth more that 10 mis informed and disgruntled ones.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.

Last edited by DSA; 01-24-2014 at 11:24 PM.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Yeah I am pretty sure it is just a limitation of the slide's interaction with the snub preventing fast loading in combination with the height. As long as I pump slowly like you showed in that video it loads just fine. Just not a fast loading gun.

Definitely a great shooting pistol and really great looking and feeling. I want to make sure I get the most out of it that I can.

I did some tuning yesterday with a fluted hammer. I found it to be less consistent than the stock phantom hammer so I swapped it back. I will retry the fluted hammer when it is warm out.

It is an interesting point you raise about the slide wobble. But really the VKC duck has very little room for wobbling. I will have to take a picture to show the tape. I think it is mostly there to prevent wear. It keeps the stroke smooth in the event you twist while pumping.

I can't stop putzing about with the gun. I can't wait to actually play with it. Probably going to take it to the Hoth game at ASC on February 22nd. Hope it will be a sunny warmer day.

Old PBN Feedback
Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Just remember to grade tht puppy up, I use sleek or dow33 and thickly coat snub, valve chamber and barrel as well as the grip frame spacer. Anywhere the slide might make contact twisted or not. This by itself will make it a faster pumping gun and the smoothest ever. I oersonally removed the return spring it helps to smoother out the stroke.

Quote:

Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I like a return spring, but I have already greased this puppy up. Definitely want to prevent wear on it. I have taken about 100-150 shots through it plus some more pumping and it is showing anodizing wear into the snub. When I saw that I greased it right up. It came with oil on it from the factory, not grease.

I greased up my trigger too, so smooth.

Old PBN Feedback
Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion360 View Post
I like a return spring, but I have already greased this puppy up. Definitely want to prevent wear on it. I have taken about 100-150 shots through it plus some more pumping and it is showing anodizing wear into the snub. When I saw that I greased it right up. It came with oil on it from the factory, not grease.

I greased up my trigger too, so smooth.
Yep a tighter tolerance slide will cause premature wear of the finish, but hey that's what folks wanted.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
First time out testing velocity since it is finally warm here.
Pretty great results. Using mediocre paint, not underbored. 682 to 685 in measurement using a 684 insert. Shooting quickly, just long enough to write down my results. About 60 degrees out. No alterations from stock.

Any way you cut it, that is over 30 useful shots without tuning...
  1. 266
  2. 268
  3. 269
  4. 259
  5. 265
  6. 259
  7. 261
  8. 263
  9. 260
  10. 260
  11. 260
  12. 254 (Reload)
  13. 268
  14. 268
  15. 264
  16. 254
  17. 259
  18. 256
  19. 259
  20. 248
  21. 253
  22. 249
  23. 243
  24. 253 (Reload)
  25. 254
  26. 258
  27. 254
  28. 257
  29. 254
  30. 257 (Reload, figured I wouldn't be going much past here)
  31. 268
  32. 265
  33. 246
  34. 258
  35. 251 (Reload)
  36. 262
  37. 262
  38. 246
  39. 245
  40. 235(Consider this marginally useful velocity)
  41. 227
  42. 220
  43. 206

Old PBN Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Redux