mcarterbrown.com  

Redux Home of the Redux

Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
- VKC Duck #54 Acquired -

Well I got my VKC Duck / Redux in last night. Today I swapped out the grips and checked it out.

Definitely a nice implementation of a classic design. It feels good and seems solidly built. I like the freak inserts for sizing, and I can't wait to get an extended barrel.

I am however a bit mystified about how to pump this thing effectively. If I pump it fast it will not load a ball, it pops it right back into the feedtube. I thought I missed my first five shots entirely, but it turns out I never loaded them. (the gun actually shoots as well as any phantom with a freak barrel, which is to say very very well)

It loads fine if I pump slowly. But that means at about a quarter of my normal pump speed. I am fast and hard pumper (laugh it up) and can sling paint rapidly with my other stock class markers.

I can load balls about twice as fast if I do a down to up dip while pumping. But that is still half as fast as I normally am and it is unreliable.

It may be that this is simply a slow loading gun as a result of the feed system, or it may be that it needs some sort of pump stroke length adjustment. I throw myself at your feet and plead for your insight.

In return I present an offering of pictures:

This last one shows the wear from the screw holes within the slide to the snub. just reached in there and sanded them a tiny bit to prevent further wear.

Old PBN Feedback

Last edited by hellion360; 01-22-2014 at 06:43 PM.
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
It is also worth mentioning that there is tape on the inside of the slide where it interacts with the frame.
I had the gun bind up really bad initially. After forcing the slide off I found that the tape had bunched up in a spot making a ton of drag. I trimmed it off of that spot.

Old PBN Feedback
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stockclass player

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Congrats on the Redux! I've got #55 here. the pump stroke took a little getting used to for me too. I just kept shooting it and shooting it until it felt natural. Now I only ever get into trouble occasionally if there is only 1-2 balls left in the tube.

If you can find one, the extended barrel is totally worth it. I don't know why but that extra half inch or so makes a difference.

I dont know what to tell you about that tape. I didn't find any tape in mine when I broke it down the first time. Some of the best advice I read here was to put a thin layer of grease on everything under the slide. I think it was a post by DSA, I can't remember. Its probably in one of the stickies.

Anyway, enjoy your new marker! Welcome to the club!

MCB Feedback
Ebay Feedback
mailmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I talked to mOngo when I ordered, and he said that he would be doing a run of extended barrels in the next couple months and that he would hold one for me.

I will definitely be picking it up from him.

The pump stroke was not a problem for me, it easily got a full stroke every time. But the balls were not loading fully. I watched through the window and they were popping out as I closed the breach. I suspect they are hitting the back of the breach as I pump making them take a little hop before dropping.

I think changing my throw just a little might stop this but I would like to hear from someone more well versed in the gun before I start noodling with it.

Old PBN Feedback
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
AKA "BlackGates-5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmanmike View Post
put a thin layer of grease on everything under the slide.
I'll second this - I keep a nice slick surface of grease between the snub and slide. It just makes the pump stroke that much smoother

As far as the tape - I've heard that others (tedaut maybe?) received their VKC with this as well; I actually put a thing strip on the flats on the inside of my slide as well, to help a little w/ the minimal amount of wiggle present in the slide. It ended up bunching up on me as well, so I removed it.
O-RINGS FOR SALE (EVERY SIZE! ANY QTY!): http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...110-115-a.html

My Feedback:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

VOTE SLIM A:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ote-slims.html
short304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I know there are some differences between the Redux and the VKC but I'm confused, what are the two protruding screws scratching up your snub? Also with your balls popping up, is the TPC sticking out if the front if the bolt.

I really love that finish it reminds me of my old AMT Lightening 45, wow!

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
AKA "BlackGates-5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
what are the two protruding screws scratching up your snub?
I assumed they were designed as a pump/slide stop of some sort... I was thinking that if hellion (OP) screwed these in a bit, it might help reduce/eliminate the "ball pop" (horribly graphic image) issue he's having... maybe? Or course I have an original, so I'm just guessing.
O-RINGS FOR SALE (EVERY SIZE! ANY QTY!): http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...110-115-a.html

My Feedback:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

VOTE SLIM A:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ote-slims.html
short304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I think this is the effort to correct the too long slot in the snub issue which allows you to pop the valve open if you pumped it back deep and hard (insert 70's funk music here) causing some lost shots. When I talked to Rick he said he was making some sort of a stop like this. I didn't think it was a huge problem on mine, but it did only happen when I was in the shiz and coulda used the extra shots that were wasted by popping the valve open.

Sexy Dux and makes me really miss mine!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by short304 View Post
I assumed they were designed as a pump/slide stop of some sort... I was thinking that if hellion (OP) screwed these in a bit, it might help reduce/eliminate the "ball pop" (horribly graphic image) issue he's having... maybe? Or course I have an original, so I'm just guessing.
I see what your are saying, it might be a bit of adjustment to make it work. I had ball pop once but it was TPC related.

Quote:

Old 01-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Manning, you gotta see my Bronco-mobile! I'm no longer a premium member so no photo uploads, hit me up on FB (Eric Alfaro).

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Redux