mcarterbrown.com  

Redux Home of the Redux

Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Exclamation Forty Seven

Forty Seven-

As the end of the day eclipsed on another long hot Texas summer I decided it was time to enjoy a nice Drew Estate “Toast” stogie in my own back yard. This is the place where I spent so many pointless hours enjoying the fruits of my labor, my own court yard in my would be castle. Fixing myself my favorite spirit (x 6) I decided it was time to break out my trusty once again and test out the cup seals mOngo gave me at D-Day (the poly pro and the brass). Two days prior I tried out a random jet set with the brass that mOngo sent out, at my request he just reached in and grabbed a random one much like any that might go in a Redux ready to ship.

In my initial review I tossed out 36 shots per 12 gram with my original jet set Redux. I was stoked, to say the least but after hearing about some of the shot ratios my fellow Redux owners were getting I became curious as well as a bit perplexed. Honestly what could be different? Well after playing for exactly 14 months I can say Steve was correct in his claims that once the marker breaks in it smoothes out, and like any fine wine it takes time to get it just right.

As I sat enjoying my “Toasty Stogie” I decided to break out one of my many silhouette targets afforded me as a US Army Drill Sergeant and take some shots. Like any good Stock Class player, I fiddled with my marker and decided to throw in a Red/ Yellow combo, and the poly pro cup seal along with my original power tube. Red/ Yellow that’s where I usually start and I fine tune from there. I grabbed a bag of fresh RP Premium, my new chrono and lit my stogie. There I sat enjoying the shade contemplating the moment. After a few moments I decide it was time to load up my trusty and start another test.

Sitting approximately 25-30 meters from my mark I sipped my favorite concoction and enjoyed the moment. I thought what else could I have asked for, I have the most accurate Redux on the planet. Maybe it’s the extended barrel, the aftermarket springs, or just plain dumb luck. Well after 15 minutes of savoring my Drew Estate stogie I decided it was time to take a shot and what a shot it was….

Sure nobody was hunting me down and there was no game related stress but it was a shot of a life time, one I d to savor for the next 15 minutes all the while enjoying my smoke. With each puff I marveled at my accomplishment and thought to myself, “That damn mOngo has something special going on with this marker.” Sure it not for everyone, I have even been so bold as to tell Steve the Redux should be limited to accomplished stock class players, not the kind who has won on field accolades but rather mature players who understand what they are getting themselves into when they invest $1,100 in a single action pump gun.

Over the past year several players have thought themselves such a player only to be disappointed in their own inability to wield such a fine work of art, not pointing fingers but the fact is they lacked the nerve to stand toe to toe, albeit not out gunned but rather outnumbered with case a game opponents.

I for one was never a nerves of steel player even in my NPPL days, however after twelve months in Afghanistan I find myself being such a player. Over the past year I have purchased several old school markers to include a TM-7, T-8, T-4 and my favorite Semi of all time a Montneel Design “Grey” Icon Z-1. After spending God knows how much money only to be disappointed by my own inability to annihilate the opposition as I do when I am wielding my Redux.

Distance to target

On the eve of making another big semi auto purchase I know it’s crazy to think I have already found my end of all end markers, my Redux. The fact is my days of gun whoredom are numbered, and it’s a sad fact indeed. For me the Redux is just that damn accurate, fun and challenging. It is a marker that tests my mettle every play day.

I am a little reluctant to share this last tidbit of Redux goodness but the fact is it was the very point of this review. Forty Seven equaled the number of shots I got out of this test on a single 12gram. I was using my original jet-set. I started at 277, shot number 36 dropped to 235, number 46 dropped to 161 and number 47 was the lower shot on the fence as pictured. To the naysayers who count 10 or 12 shots on target, count again there are 46 you have my word as a player.

Now it’s time to get back to my stogie….

E

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
DSA: sounds like a perfect afternoon to me.

Was that the red (strong) valve spring and yellow (weak) main spring or the other way around?

My Redux has the red main spring and blue valve spring installed but I'm using the shorter barrel so I probably need more charge behind the ball to get 280fps.

Oh! Does your Redux have the bored out valve chamber described by DeTrevni? http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ency-mods.html
Over the past year I have shot red Main green Valve but I decided to try a yellow valve for this test. As for the mOngo's Trevini Mod, no I dont. I have always had SUPER luck with shots out of the box so there was no need. I only hope this doesnt give Steve a head ache from people wanting 47 shots off a 12 gram.

Quote:

Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
...and to top it all off, you enjoyed a Toast along with it.

Excellent choice.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

A true paintball connoisseur.
Nicely done.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

very nice! PM sent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Rather than having your valve rebored and mess with a good thing, have you considered asking Steve to just make you a second valve with an enlarged chamber so you can compare the efficiency of the two valves? This way we can determine once and for all if your gun has a little magic in it or whether all reduxes can achieve ungodly efficiency numbers like yours...
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Herald of Unicron

I just think DSA has found a way to put 24g of co2 into a 12g cartridge and he isn't sharing the magic
f1zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
You know, smoking a cigar with the band on is like walking around in Levi's with the tag still hanging off, or drinking a Belgian Trappist ale out of the bottle.

Oh, and...damn I want a Redux.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Send a message via AIM to Stuffy

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Aw man, you blew the blokes ear off, now he'll never hear the end of your review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_yeo View Post
Crossing the street in a third world country is my favorite extreme sport.

/My Feedback / My Art / My Portfolio / My Channel / A Review / WTB: Green JT IZE-Flex Mask/Parts! / FS: One of a Kind Stock / Rare Raincovers FS!
Stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post
Aw man, you blew the blokes ear off, now he'll never hear the end of your review.
Sorry by the time I got to x7 of my favorite beverage I really should not been hitting the target. Im still shocked my dux is getting so many damn shots and giving Steve a head ache trying to figure it out.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Redux