mcarterbrown.com  

Redux Home of the Redux

Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

My redux, and it's quirky-ness.

Hey guys.

I figured I'd take advantage of this new sub-forum and ask for advice.

Some backstory:

My redux has been quirky from day one. Now, when I first got it I had cupseal issues. Mr. Brett generously sent me a new one(Along with a new powertube as well!) that he's used on his "boxdux" for a couple weeks.(months?) It worked fine for exactly "one" 12 gram and started leaking again.(exact same thing as the first cupseal. Got like 30 shots too.) No matter how I swiveled the cupseal on the powertube, or no matter how hard i cranked it on the powertube, it leaked.

I called him and we brainstormed and tried to figure the problem. Eventually I swapped cupseal's with a phantom. (Phantom had a redux cupseal, dux had a phantom one.)

I found out the phantom one sealed just fine, and the Redux one still leaked in the phantom.

I talked to Mr. brett again and he said he could file down a phantom cupseal so it could grap more threads on the powertube. He generously shipped me this as well.

Up to date: Phantom does not leak, but will act random as hell. It will either choose to get almost 30 shots a 12gram or barely get 14. I took off the stainless steel snub to hear if the powertube was leaking even a little bit, but it wasn't.

It's not leaking from the pierce pin assembly and I've changed that out with a brand new seal.

There was no huge temperature variances during the day, and the gun was chrono'd at about 260-270.

Any Ideas?

Note:

I love my redux, I really do. It's the coolest most cherished marker I have/will ever had the honor of owning.

DSA and Cjottawa seem to not have much trouble with there's and use them as a main marker, something I would like to do. However it's too untrustworthy so far for me. I use my guns, I don't let them sit on the wall. The redux feels perfect for me. How small it is, it's weight, every aspect of the gun makes me able to shoot to the best of my ability.

If i could get at least 21 shots every time,(That's all I need really, seriously.) I would be an extremely happy camper
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shameless CCM convert

Paintball guns must hate you, EDDAKA.

Your comp, now your dux.

"Dude! Dude!, I hear I'm gonna be sent over to that EDDAKA guy. I'm gonna **** with him."

good luck getting it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Frag View Post
This is a common misconception. The marker in question is actually from a limited run that WGP produced to try using the little finger as the firing finger to promote digital ambidexterity. Unfortunately, the gravity inverter needed to feed paintballs was sold separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers
I play pump because I'm a masochistic bastard who gets his jollies from being outgunned but not outplayed.
ASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

No tips bro just sell it..............

2ME!

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
Terminology reference: How Nelsons Work
Some ideas:
  • Use quality, food-grade 12-gram CO2 powerlets. I'd say this is the #1 problem I've had with my Redux. Crosman powerlets suck epically.
  • keep the innards immaculately clean; if you have barrel swabs and microfiber cloths, throw them in the washing machine after a day of play.
  • Underbore. If your paint is 0.684, try the 0.679 and 0.682 Freak inserts. I'm monkish about this: I measure all my paint with a ball gauge to ensure I don't get zingers
  • Keep that pump handle forward. I've noticed inconsistency if I don't. (bolt creeping back, not sealing against barrel) Might also check the bolt o-ring for wear.
  • clean the cupseal; I've noticed some sediment on the rubber/plastic part that creates a seal and it resulted in a slow leak and possible inconsistency. Looked like metal dust.
  • polish the contact point on the valve seat, on the assumption it may be leaving crud on the cup-seal itself

BTW: I've gotten 30+ shots on a 12-gram, shooting slowly, at an indoor field. I think I'd hit 40 with little tweaking and, of course, DSA has his epic "forty-seven."

I pretty familiar with how nelsons work .

Everything from traccer's to carter's to phantoms.

I can effectively say I've checked off every thing off that list...I'm anal about cleaning my Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
No tips bro just sell it..............

2ME!

No way in hell. Even If this thing only gets 12 shots a gram I'll find a way to make it work...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
Crazy idea: remove the TPC and see what happens?
That's interesting.

However doesn't the main spring "rest" on the back of the TPC?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Caution, avoid shots in the dark lest you end up with goo on your face DSA2:12

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
more inconsistent than something like a Phantom with an 8-12 inch barrel. Again, just shots in the dark.
the thing is it's fairly consistent, even when getting 15 shots a 12gram. +/-10 or so.

Like I said. 21 shots at least would be just fine and perfect for me

Last edited by EDDAKA; 10-22-2009 at 10:54 PM.
EDDAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tighten the paint/bore -use the best paint you can- break your gun in! my purple Dux only got 14 shots over 275 when new- now it gets 22-27 (with nylon cupseal) Mongo
Old 10-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOngo View Post
Tighten the paint/bore -use the best paint you can- break your gun in! my purple Dux only got 14 shots over 275 when new- now it gets 22-27 (with nylon cupseal) Mongo
I'm buying the most expensive paint I can buy! Allstar/evil. Stuff that breaks from the 6ft drop test. I'm using a pretty tight paint to bore match.

I'm glad to hear that about your PP like that, gives me hope! (what's this nylon cupseal you speak of ?)

Guess I just have to shoot it more!

PS: Mongo,

I neglected to ship you the powertube and cupseals that were leaking. I'll get them out to you today and tomorrow and you can have a look at them.

(Can you Pm me VKC's address?)
Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Hrm. Might be the case. If so, you could slice the front off or simply drill the front out. I'm just kind of wondering if it's interfering more than helping.

Maybe the interaction of the TPC with the extremely short barrel in the Redux makes it inherently more inconsistent than something like a Phantom with an 8-12 inch barrel. Again, just shots in the dark.
How long is a 'Dux barrel? My Phantom with a 6" barrel would get 25-30 at 275 +/- 7-8. I don't think it could be that much of a problem...

Also, check the slot in the frame/'rail' that the sear slides through. I got my phantom internals dirty at the field once, and a piece of dirt got stuck in there, and it messed with the hammer's travel, making it either shoot really slow or hot.

Quote:
I love how DMW douches want so badly to justify their douchocity! I remain steadfast in my position of counterdouche douchebaggery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
It's cool, no one can resist playing with an eightball. They're pretty much the best toy/decision making device/CEO of General Motors, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor
FEAR NOT, FAIR WOMEN, FOR THOU ART SWAG AS F***!
thisissparta is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Redux