mcarterbrown.com

Scenarios and Big Games Scenario and Big Game information, upcoming events, and small talk

Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post First Time to Oklahoma D-Day

I will be attending Oklahoma D-Day for the first time with my 14 yr old son. This will be our first scenario game and we are very excited to be going. But I have a lot of questions.

Can anyone give me some advice on what unit we should join. We both want to play for the allies. I'm leaning towards the Big Red One (just because I really liked the movie of the same name). How early should we register?

Also, what advice can you give, regarding what to bring (paintball and camping related). What are the camping facilities like? I imagine just popping a tent near where my car is parked.

Lastly, I'm currently planning on arriving during the Friday before the big game on Saturday. Is it worth coming earlier?
jrodbbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

1st is a beach unit on Omaha beach. It's very steep, rocky, and there are tons of trees. I'd suggest the 4th ID on Utah beach. The hill isn't nearly as steep at all and there are no trees. It's very wide open and a very fun place to play. I've been going for 3 years all 3 years with the 899th which is an Allied anti tank group. It's a lot of fun.. we land on Utah beach alongside the 4th ID and the rest of the 2nd Armored Division.

I'd say get there as early as you can. You won't cover the entire D-Day field on Saturday and each mini game every day is in a different area of the field so you get to see the whole field that way. Each game is 3 hours long, they are a lot of fun. Plus you get to camp out for a whole week. You camp with the rest of your unit but you can park your car next to your tent as long as you get there earlier in the week to find a spot. The earlier you get there, the better camping spot you will get. The camping is a lot of fun, throughout the week you will get to bond with people in your unit and at least in the 899th we have a huge meeting tent, a deck, bonfires, unit bbqs, etc. I definitely suggest trying to go for the whole week. I think the days leading up to D-Day are just as fun as the big game is so if you can make it there earlier in the week you should since you will not regret it.

Bring twice as much water as you think you will need. I'm from St. Louis where it's a little less hot but more humid and even I go through more water then you would think. Consider this your first "water warning" you are going to hear it many times and there is a good reason why. The terrain and weather is unforgiving.. make sure you are preparred for it. A lot of people go down from heat exaustion which ruins their day so make sure you or your son are not one of those people.

PM if you have any questions
Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm going to try and answer your questions. Kahnif did a good job answering but I'll throw in my perspective. I've been there twice. If you want, you may call me (I'll give you my cell if you want) and I can answer all your questions. Just send me a private message and I'd be happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodbbrook View Post
I will be attending Oklahoma D-Day for the first time with my 14 yr old son. This will be our first scenario game and we are very excited to be going. But I have a lot of questions.

Can anyone give me some advice on what unit we should join. We both want to play for the allies. I'm leaning towards the Big Red One (just because I really liked the movie of the same name). How early should we register?

Allies are a good start. A big unit like the Red 1 will be a lot of fun. Allies tend to have a lot of younger players in it as well. The beach landing is insane. However Kahnif is correct. Its straight uphill, very rocky, and pretty steep. Additionally, there's little cover for the Allies. All the trees there are real skinny and are not ample cover. You will shot up many, many, times but should be a memorable experience. Right behind Omaha beach is the huge city, the French name leaves me at the moment, and that's a HUGE German held area. If you make it to the top, you have a lot more battling to do.

As my good friend put it to me the first time we went and had trouble deciding on a unit, his response to the Big Red 1 was "H*ll no! I've seen the movie. I want to be on the top of the hill!" (referring to Saving Private Ryan)

Also, what advice can you give, regarding what to bring (paintball and camping related). What are the camping facilities like? I imagine just popping a tent near where my car is parked.

Don't plan on showering. Honestly. The water there is full of sulfur and it smells pretty bad. If your leaving Friday and coming home Sunday, it's not that long to go without. The port-a-poties (spelling) are generally kept nicely and last year they had hand washing stations next to them. BUT, they do run out of water so bring soap/hand sanitizer for yourself and extra toilet paper as the end of the week, supplies dwindle with thousands of people there.

You want to sleep on a cot as the ground is rocky. Bring a light sleeping bag and a pillow and your good. Any average tent will be sufficient. Just make sure its staked down. It gets pretty windy and you don't want stuff blowing away.

I'd bring a grill and cook some hamburgers, etc. Ice is available on site which is handy. In '07, they drove around and offered it for sale. It's not a bad deal as the nearest gas station is 15+ minutes away.

Bring a marker and a back up marker. Make sure your tanks are up-to-date and hydrotested before you go. Also, chrono your maker BEFORE you get there. 285 fps MAX. Friday night chrono lines were extremely long and it took HOURS to get everyone through as they only chrono at certain times during the day. If you are showing up Friday, time is against you. Honestly. Get there early afternoon, set up your tent, check in, and start asking questions for things you want to find out.

Lastly, I'm currently planning on arriving during the Friday before the big game on Saturday. Is it worth coming earlier?
YES. If you can get there Thursday do so. Use Friday to walk the playing fields and familiarize yourself with the region. You won't have time to read maps while playing.

Playing tips:
Carry lots of water - a camelbak is your best friend
Carry snacks to eat in the dead box. Eat every time you are in a dead box. You will burn a lot of energy running around in the heat so granola bars are good. You can break for lunch but its not recommended by your unit leaders.

All you need to carry is paint, water, a towel for wiping your mask off with, and a squeegee for cleaning your barrel. Paint can be got in dead boxes via paint tickets and I recommend doing this. You buy in bags of 500, so if your hopper holds 200, get three pods to hold 100 balls each or two 150 rnd pods and your set.

Like I said, if you want, I can give you my cell number and you can feel free to call me with questions.

Tom

Geisterjager veteran OK D-Day. Making Allied players sorry for choosing blue is our specialty.
Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

One more thing since he covered camping more.. if you stay for the week(or if we're unlucky enough to have it late in the week) prepare for a storm. Each year there is a big storm, and when I say big I'm not joking. Many chicken out and go to a nearby hotel. First 2 years I slept through it in a tent, this past year I slept in my car and enjoyed the CRAZY lightening show. Get a good tent, be prepared for cold nights and bring lots of socks/spare boots/shoes since there will be rain and when there is rain there is mud.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Kahnif is correct mongo and I ran into him on the field of battle it was real cool never met the dude I look over bout five ft and there he was with his MCB name on his back it was cold wet, then hot and wetter and then just plain soaking wet. It was awesome hope to meet up with you guys I'll be sporting my redux again this year. BTW my son Zack is 14 we should link up it's all fun.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. I think you talked me into the 4th ID.

We're definitely camping, rain or shine. Nights get cold? I wouldn't have thought so. The only remaining question is when to go. I'll probably try to get there by Thursday at the latest.

Kahnif and Match,
I'll be coming from Chicago, so I'll be coming right through St. Louis. The plan is to stop in St. Louis on the way back from Oklahoma. Any suggestions for a decently priced hotel near the expressway? Also, what about some good BBQ?

Thanks again guys.
jrodbbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Neosho inn

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inglorious Basterd

Bug repellent is a big one the mosquitoes arent as bad as the ticks out there some people even go as far as to treat their clothes with permethrin(sp) to keep them off. As for coming earlier the mini scenarios are a blast and once the vendors arrive there are some pretty good deals to be had as far as gear. The showers aren't great but the bonus about the sulfur is it repels ticks and other biting buggers. A thermal lense and mask fans if possible are almost required as the amount you sweat you produce will fog your mask very quickly. A 2-3 liter camel back is great you just have to remember to drink even when your not thirsty all week you end up sweating most of it out throughout the day. As for unit selection 1st and 4th are excellent choices and will allow you to get the hang of the game and learn its ins and outs. Cant think of anything else at the moment just go out play hard and have a great time.

"I want to leave this world just like I entered it... Screaming and covered in someone else's blood."

Tyr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Kahnif made another good point I didn't back up. Utah beach is the way to go for beach landings. I've never been on the Allied side of the attack but there is plenty of space to run around and move up.

Your in for a special treat in the opening minutes of the game. The sound of all the guns shooting in unison is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. Paintball will never be the same again. No joke.

Well...last year was a cool summer and it did get cool in the evenings. I wouldn't say cold but it was enough to warrant zipping up the sleeping bag. Pack an extra blanket just in case and you'll be good.

There is plenty to do there and lots of good people to meet and talk with. DSA and Kahnif were there and I regret not going and trying to meet up with them. However they were Allied players and with me being an Axis player...that just doesn't go over well.

I hate that guys are starting to talk about D-Day again and I can't go this year. Its always a great time no matter how hot or rainy it is.

Oh and take a camera.

BBQ = Pappy's (Pappy's Smokehouse | St. Louis BBQ | Memphis Style BBQ | Saint Louis Barbeque | Welcome To Pappy's Smokehouse)

No hotel suggestions but I want to give you the proper directions to get there as the first time I used Google maps put me on some guys private property and my buddies and I were me by a the owner's son on a four wheeler with a rifle strapped on the front...no joke.

When you exit interstate 44 and head south to Seneca, MO, once you pass through Seneca on route 43 and come to the intersection of 43 & highway 60, turn right (west). The first road on your left is Cayuga Rd and that's the proper way to head to the Bunker.

When we went down in 2007, Google maps directed us to go farther south on 43 and turn on Spruce Dr. It eventually hooks up with the E 175 Rd that the Bunker is off of, but its actually private property.

Geisterjager veteran OK D-Day. Making Allied players sorry for choosing blue is our specialty.
Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodbbrook View Post
Questions are good!

Quote:
Can anyone give me some advice on what unit we should join.
Plugging time! I would recommend joining the Commonwealth's 3rd ID if you're looking to storm the beaches-they're completely rebuilding Sword Beach for us-hell, they've damn near completely restructured the game around Sword Beach and Caen. Currently, we have the Canadian Scottish Infantry (Who take to the field in kilts, and are all sorts of bad-***), the East Yorkshire Regiment and the new-for-2010 Royal Winnipeg Rifles-any of those units are a great place to join, but if you plan on making D-Day a regular thing (Plan on it, BTW-it's an amazing experience), the RWR is in need of good guys willing to help run the unit.

Quote:
We both want to play for the allies. I'm leaning towards the Big Red One (just because I really liked the movie of the same name). How early should we register?
The 1st ID has, in previous years, been a bit...lackluster, mainly because of lack of organization, but the new guy they've got running it, Spike, is a great guy and really getting the unit together-they're another great choice. You should register ASAP-not necessairly to reserve a spot (The beach units very rarely reach cap), but because the more early registrations they have, the more work they can do to the field beforehand. the 4th ID is also a good group as well-and they have the Black Cats with them as well, who are all kinds of awesome (If you've got the crazy to hunt tanks with a gun wrapped in plumbing parts, join the Black Cats-tank hunting is the biggest adrenaline rush I've ever experienced in a paintball game)

Quote:
You'll be camping with the rest of your unit, and the camping area is your standard grassy, porta-potty and trash-can-dotted field. There are also some showers, but they're kinda gross. Bring a GOOD tent-you'll need it. Alternately, if you join a Commonwealth unit, you can rent a spot in one of the Conex boxes we supply-much nicer then a tent!

Quote:
YES YES YES. Come as EARLY as possible. I'm going to be there about a week and a half in advance personally-although that's mainly because I'll be working on the new permanent bunkhouses being put up in the Commonwealth camp, among other things, but the sooner you come, the better. Vendors, minigames...hell, the camping with your unit alone is half the fun!

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Scenarios and Big Games