mcarterbrown.com  

Scenarios and Big Games Scenario and Big Game information, upcoming events, and small talk

Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red Strike - BlastCamp PB/Viper, Hobart, IN

The Urban Guard (at least some of us) are planning on attending this game. This will be our first time at BlastCamp and have a few questions. I also would like MCB folks opinion of the field.
How do they run the re-insertions?
How accessible are the air fills during play?
Basically, I just want some general info on the field before we travel the six hours to get there! How many of you folks are planning on being there?

Proud Member of The Urban Guard

WTB - AGD Horizontal Front-Rail ASA
Spec Ops C-Series AC Barrel w/ thread tip
PowerLyte AC Back

Items to Trade: A DYE double trigger frame w/ red splash dbl. trigger.
Blue Splash Vertical ASA
Classic SS body w/ cut down feedneck
GodSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

i know they usually have a "24 hour" game...meaning you don't get quite as much play time as one would assume for it being a 2 day big-game.

They start at whatever time, then end it it, literally 24 hours after that.

That alone means its a hard justification to drive 6 hours each way, if i'll be lucky to get 10 hours of actual playtime in. Thats my biggest hurdle to going there. I don't remember the exact times, but once you add up the time spent actually playing, it looks less appealing...to me anyways...

(i like my four, 3-hour quarters, on a 3 hour 1-way drive...2x playtime:drivetime ratio)
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
I often play pantsless...

Send a message via AIM to aka Mich Send a message via Yahoo to aka Mich

Red Strike is a Viper game, this is the schedule for last years Red Strike, so I assume the same.

Saturday
8:00am: All services open
10:30am: Opening ceremonies and mandatory player orientation
Noon: Game on at noon SHARP (Be at your base!!!)
5:30pm: Stand down and prep for dinner battle
6:00pm: Dinner Battle begins!
6:30pm: Dinner Break
8:30pm: Game resumes
11:00pm: Stand down (May be earlier or later depending on participation)

Sunday
9:00am: Game resumes
12:30pm: Stand down and prep for Final Battle!
1:00pm: Final Battle!
2:00pm: Game over!

Reinsertion window varies, last game at BlastCamp was every 15 minutes and stays open for 5 minutes.

Air-fills are in the building right next to the field where the main opening is in the netting to get on and off the field. If you're base is on the far side of the field it can be a bit of a walk since staging and and everything is basically on the bottom right of the field if you imagine it as a big rectangle (see the map below). The other base is slightly closer since it's usually in the bottom left of the field. If you're coming off for paint and what not it's not that bad however since everyone is else is using the same entrance/exit to the field anyway.

If you're looking to go, in my opinion it would be worth it. It is decent field, the new owner has turned it around from what it was when he took over a few years ago. It is an old missile base and they've done a nice job keeping a lot of those features that make it interesting to play. It can play somewhat uneven at times because of how the field is set up, one side will have an easier time getting to objectives but then you switch sides the 2nd day anyway. Overall however it's worth trying at least once for a game. If not Red Strike another scenario being held there. They've already held two games there this year, Battle of Hoth which was a 1 day game in February and Chaos which was another two day game put on by Payroll that was last month. So you have options.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by aka Mich; 05-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
aka Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

You should have 10 hours of regular play, plus night play and final battle. It's about as packed as possible. We don't even bother with chairs if we are not camping.

The usual Viper format is

start at 12 noon on Saturday (after all check-ins, briefing, setup, etc.)
play until about 7 (depending on the season)
dinner break and chrono down to 250 for night play
game on about 8pm
game off anywhere between 10pm and 2am, depending on the players, generals and the field. Usually around 10pm to 11:30pm

game on at 9 am Sunday
game off at 12 noon for final battle prep
final battle for about an hour from 1 to 2 pm

Hence, the "26 hour" game. 12 to 2. Remember game-on is after you have chrono'ed, assembled and done anything else you need to do.

Freebies (including markers, masks, and bottles) thereafter until about 4 pm. Trust me, some great "freebies"; I have my share.

If you don't get your fill in that time, it's pretty much your own slacking-off.

If you can get there for Friday evening pump games, he often has a free pump give-away at the end of the event for those players only. Good odds for win. My son got a phantom at the April game. Nice casual pump play too.

Insertion times are adjusted for the number of players and the field size, but usually run every 20 minutes for a 10 minute window. At the top of the hour, the insertion window is open until 10 after. If you get hit and make it to the hospital inside that 10 minutes, you turn around and go back to base, otherwise you wait until 20 after the hour when the next window is open. Viper uses the radio standard synchronized clocks, so I use my synch'ed watch to tell me if it's worth hustling back to the hospital or not (and letting other people know as well).

Air fills are usually very good, you just have to consider the size of the field and getting to the air station(s).

A good general will have some standing objectives as well as missions. Not that you have to care. If you want to just go out and "shoot fools" constantly, have at it. If you want to be part of the occasional insertion "wave" that's good fun too. Wait for a mission. Or play base security. Even lopsided games need base security on the winning side since that is when the pinched side will get extra sneaky. If you are on the pinched side, base defense is easy play since the other guys have to come to you and walk back.

We usually play at least the first hour of night play, it helps set the battle lines. As you get past dark, things get progressively squirrelly and you have to adjust your attitude and aim more for fun. Not that it will necessarily prevent your own team from lighting you up.

Final battle is an hour of mayhem that you only get at big games.

Many people arrive early and stay late. Friday nights at the fields are usually entertaining.

I just talked myself into the Dallas game, which is a back-to-back Viper setup for the annual fall Houston game. It's a five hour drive, just up 45.

If we had the travel time, we would be up there in IN.

I find dinner battles a bit difficult for some reason. Viper doesn't always have them down here. Also, I think he follows different schedules for daylight savings time (or not).

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 05-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great information! Thanks everyone who posted up! Tis is the kind of info I like to have before traveling to a distant field!

PowerLyte AC Back

Blue Splash Vertical ASA
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mich, Thanks for that map! Excellent! I think The Urban Guard is going to make the drive for this! Several of us played Living Legends last year and had a very good time, so we know Viper puts on a great game!

PowerLyte AC Back

Blue Splash Vertical ASA

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Scenarios and Big Games