mcarterbrown.com  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shameless CCM convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando FL

non-PPS Performance tuning

I'm not too comfortable sending a gun to PPS and would not like to pay $90.

I've read that to make a Sheridan non cartridge valve more efficient, you have to drill and plug some holes in the valve and such. What are the exact steps(pictures would be helpful)? could this be done with a Dremel?(I have the drill press attachment)

If this is not easily done at home with out a mill or drill press, who can offer me a sub $40 service?
__________________
Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Frag View Post
This is a common misconception. The marker in question is actually from a limited run that WGP produced to try using the little finger as the firing finger to promote digital ambidexterity. Unfortunately, the gravity inverter needed to feed paintballs was sold separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers
I play pump because I'm a masochistic bastard who gets his jollies from being outgunned but not outplayed.
ASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA...The Gobbler!
 
Tbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Louisville, Ky

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKA View Post
I'm not too comfortable sending a gun to PPS and would not like to pay $90.

I've read that to make a Sheridan non cartridge valve more efficient, you have to drill and plug some holes in the valve and such. What are the exact steps(pictures would be helpful)? could this be done with a Dremel?(I have the drill press attachment)

If this is not easily done at home with out a mill or drill press, who can offer me a sub $40 service?
I believe there is a passage way between the upper and lower tube that needs to be drilled also. Otherwise, just modifying the valve will be pointless. Some of the other more knowledgeable folks on here can tell you more.
Tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day
 
netsurferdude2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern MD
Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

PM a guy on here named Stuffy.

He does some good brass work and I know him personally. (he is actually paying me to say things.)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
funsi00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Contact G & H customs!
__________________
My feedback on MCB : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Brass Mafia - team status S4



funsi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs
 
Stuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MD&Philly
Send a message via AIM to Stuffy

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Hey, I am not paying you anything Greg! Your girlfriend now, that's a different story.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Did the movie have a plot... were the actors good? I have no idea because I was enjoying the weirdness of the effects in my "enhanced" state and missed the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_yeo View Post
Crossing the street in a third world country is my favorite extreme sport.

/My Feedback / My Art / My Portfolio / My Channel / A Review / WTB: Green JT IZE-Flex Mask/Parts! / FS: One of a Kind Stock / Rare Raincovers FS!
Stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shameless CCM convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post
Hey, I am not paying you anything Greg! Your girlfriend now, that's a different story.
Hey stuffy, would you tune a gun for me? maybe include one of your new magic valve stem? could you do it under $50?
__________________
Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Frag View Post
This is a common misconception. The marker in question is actually from a limited run that WGP produced to try using the little finger as the firing finger to promote digital ambidexterity. Unfortunately, the gravity inverter needed to feed paintballs was sold separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers
I play pump because I'm a masochistic bastard who gets his jollies from being outgunned but not outplayed.
ASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs
 
Stuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MD&Philly
Send a message via AIM to Stuffy

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Pm me with specifics. And I'll review it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Did the movie have a plot... were the actors good? I have no idea because I was enjoying the weirdness of the effects in my "enhanced" state and missed the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_yeo View Post
Crossing the street in a third world country is my favorite extreme sport.

/My Feedback / My Art / My Portfolio / My Channel / A Review / WTB: Green JT IZE-Flex Mask/Parts! / FS: One of a Kind Stock / Rare Raincovers FS!
Stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shameless CCM convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando FL

pm m3 ur l0w3st pr1c3.

PM'd
__________________
Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Frag View Post
This is a common misconception. The marker in question is actually from a limited run that WGP produced to try using the little finger as the firing finger to promote digital ambidexterity. Unfortunately, the gravity inverter needed to feed paintballs was sold separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers
I play pump because I'm a masochistic bastard who gets his jollies from being outgunned but not outplayed.
ASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Czech Republic (middle Europe)

You can make it only with drillpress and tap (to seal the hole in bottom with set screw), but it has some disadvantages. Above all, you will be not able entlarge the pasage too far, because you using the solder as wall of the hole.

Best is resolder the tubes, drill the bore, put here new, larger tube and solder that again. There you can improve the performance really terrifically.

For comparsion, from this, you can presume how big can be the hole in drilled marker:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/ladeni_PG...ni_vrtanim.jpg

And from this, how big is the hole on Palmer guns:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/ladeni_P6...teci_otvor.gif

The bigger is better here, the only limitation is the valve body width and the half of the diameter of paintball (to seal the chamber in PGP)... what is around 8mm.

There are some old pics of my:

Stock PGP tubes after polishing:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/pajeni_PG..._rozpajeni.jpg

After resoldering:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/pajeni_PGP/02-rozpajeno.jpg

Halves with new tube from discharged .22 LR shell:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/pajeni_PGP/03-rozpajeno.jpg

Drilled and inserted, ready to resoldering:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/pajeni_PG...o_k_pajeni.jpg

After soldering:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/pajeni_PGP/05-spajeno.jpg

Polishing:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/pajeni_PG..._lesteno_1.jpg

Final polishing:
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/pajeni_PG..._lesteno_2.jpg

And this is difference on chrono:
(the same gun, the same internals only with stock tube with 4mm ID and resoldered with 5.2mm ID)
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/ladeni_PG...otvor_22LR.gif

And here is the Airflow with different tubes ID:
(used tubes: stock, drilled, .22LR, 6.35mm Browning, 7.65mm Brownng, 9mm Parabelum)
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/ladeni_PG...bicky-graf.gif

Today, I use at least 7.65mm Browning cartridges to get better airflow, but preferably .45 ACP cartridges deformed to oval, where is internal dimension ~7x14mm and the results are even far better (30+ shoots above 250 fps)... but it needs likewise changes on valve, naturaly.

Regrettably, I have problems with my computer, so I can not post here the new pics.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Czech Republic (middle Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuck View Post
I believe there is a passage way between the upper and lower tube that needs to be drilled also. Otherwise, just modifying the valve will be pointless. Some of the other more knowledgeable folks on here can tell you more.
Valve modification can help even without the entlargement of the hole. But because the airflow will be after the valve still limited width the hole between tubes, there are borders what you can not cross without the hole entlargement... especially when that what you will are more shoots above ~240 fps - the combination of the short 6" barrel and small airflow is here limitation (with longer barrel, for example in P68SC, the valve mods can improve the performance more).

But more than valve mods can make here hammer lightening - because with valve mods you commonly only improve the maximal flow of valve, but to be able use it for better economy, you need reduce the dwell time... and eliminate the bouncing - what is hard to do without lighter hammer.

But on other side, to be able get good velocities with really very light hammer (below 25 gram... stock weighs ~42 grams) you need likewise the to have great airflow = large hole between of the tubes.

So there are three steps:
- entlargement of the hole
- valve mods
- hammer lightening
(+ spring modding, but that is more likely part of final velocity adjustment)

When you do them in good way, the they will work for you even separately. But when you join them, the difference will be a lot bigger. Normally 1+1+1=3 but here 1+1+1=111.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC