mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Sheridan (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sheridan/)
-   -   Sheridan PGP questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sheridan/13516-sheridan-pgp-questions.html)

spawnsharks 03-28-2007 01:15 PM

Sheridan PGP questions

Okay, I posted here yesterday stating a great find on a Sheridan PGP. I took it out to the field and loved it! I have 3 questions...

1) The marker works flawlessly, no leaks or anything. It chronoed at 254(ish). Is this a decent velocity for an old PGP?

2) If not... is there any way to increase velocity? I want to keep it stock class, but would like a bit more range when up against semi-autos.

3) Where is the CHEAPEST place to get 12grams?

Yes, I searched the forum before posting here, but found very little... :(

Chappy 03-28-2007 02:09 PM

250ish isn't bad, but there's no reason it can't hit 300fps with some work. A new spring will do wonders. I think you can get one from plamer's. Also some of the member/dealers here can hook you up, try posting in wtb. You can also get a rear velocity adjuster, or make one out of the stock rear cap. Or you can simply put a shim between the old spring and the rear cap, and get a nominal velocity increase.

Allfat 03-28-2007 02:15 PM

Cheapest place to get 12g's is ebay, but you have to buy 100 or so and it costs $35-40 I think. If you dont want to buy bulk, I get mine at Wal-Mart. It is $12 for 25, which is a pretty good price.

Jaan 03-28-2007 05:17 PM

I have an old PGP that I sent off to Palmers for valve work, and I also put on a rear velocity adjuster. The velocity is a little weird. I've gotten it up to almost 300 fps on a nice hot summer day, but in the cold (60 degrees or less) it wants to stay in the 230ish range. I think the barrel is just too short. When it's cold it seems that turning the velocity up just makes it waste more CO2 out the end of the barrel.

Cunha 03-28-2007 05:46 PM

There does tend to be a point of non efficiency for a short barreled sheridan.

260 and reasonable efficiency is a pretty good number, Id say.

splattttttt 03-31-2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunha (Post 124949)
There does tend to be a point of non efficiency for a short barreled sheridan.

260 and reasonable efficiency is a pretty good number, Id say.

I'd like to add that a ball needs to hit its target at a minimum of 245fps in order for it to break. So you should refrain from too high of a velocity with these snub nosed pistols, as their accuracy tends to get extreemely sparatic.
255fps is a good velo.
Keep the barrel polished well, and maintain a good ball to barrel match, and don't shoot too fast.
Leland will ship their 12g powerlets for a reasonable price, and they're better then Crossman.

titan aresta 04-02-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splattttttt (Post 126343)
I'd like to add that a ball needs to hit its target at a minimum of 245fps in order for it to break.

Not true.
I've had occasions where I was shooting around 200 and didn't have problems with balls not breaking.
Considering that you can usually get a ball to break by tossing it into the air and letting it hit the ground, I would think that the FPS needed for it to break is very low. It all depends on how far you're shooting, and what you're shooting.

cor_man257 04-11-2007 10:36 PM

Umm, I buy mine at walmart. Its local, I dont have to wait for them in the mail. Its about $12 for 25. cheap enough for me. but you can also buy less if you want. They are crosman. thats the brand that sheridan later became.

and as far as one 12g being "Better" than another, May I ask this. In all seriousness what makes one better than another? They all hold 12grams of C02.

Frontier_Bill 04-11-2007 11:24 PM

Not necessarily. Cheap 12g's can often hold under 12g or even more than that. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Emerald Wolf 04-13-2007 10:19 PM

Some of the 12gs have knarly hard seals too....Copperheads come to mind....I would also avoid ones that have crap stuck to the side of them, then sometimes get stuck in the gun.....My PMI1 does that when they get cold...I look pretty foolish waving my marker around until the cart flys out....:hammer:

Catchya on the Flip Side.....

Emerald Wolf -- ARGH!