mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Loin Falcon Palin

Send a message via AIM to paintjunque

Sheridan help PUHLEEZ!

Here's the scoop. I picked up a PGP that needed some help. I had to replace some of the valvetrain since it was damaged in a previous attempt to repair.

C6quad hooked me up with the pieces parts for the valvetrain and I threw everything back together today. Here's what she looks like. Really good condition with the exception of a busted off front site and a little pump wear on the finish. Took her outside and shot off over 30 rds on a 12g, not sure on velocity since I lack a chrono but it was decent.

Anyways my problem is that when I was putting it back together, the front grip frame screw kept turning. I stopped to try to back it out and it wont go. I peeked inside where the 12 gram goes and the nutsert assembly keeps spinning! How the heck do I fix that? I was going to sell her but I don't want that problem still existing. Anyone see this happen before? Peter, Chad, anyone? Thanks in advance.

My Junq Sale
paintjunque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

I'm pretty sure that threaded insert is soldered in to the lower tube (or in your case, not so soldered in anymore). That may require some hot work to repair. You may be able to use a very strong epoxy to remedy it, but you'd probably need to be gentle in screwing the front frame screw in from now on.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

no, the nut-sert is not soldered. if you have a nut-sert tool, you can sometimes squeeze the nut-sert again and it'll tighten back up and not spin.

i have the tool to do it and would be happy to fix it for you. worst case senerio would be a new nut-sert is needed. i have them as well. i'll fix it for free if you pay the shipping both ways.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Get a nut riveter at Harbor Freight..... You can pop out the loose one, and replace it with a new one... It's put in just like a rivet....

Walker

Nelson Owner's Group
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Loin Falcon Palin

Thanks guys but the problem is that the screw is installed almost all the way. It won't tighten down any more and it won't back out, the whole thing just spins. The gun is tight enough to work, it just won't come back apart.

Does that make sense?

My Junq Sale
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

it makes perfect sense. you can take a wooden dowel and stick it down where the 12 gram goes and put it on the edge of the nutsert (don't touch the screw) and lightly wedge it enough to keep it from spinning and you should be able to back out the screw. that has worked for me before.

you can also pull the trigger frame straight up while turning the screw. that will sometimes keep the nutsert from spinning. that has also worked for me.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Loin Falcon Palin

No joy with the dowl, it just spun. I should've just replaced the old screws with stainless allen screws like I was planning on.

Just as a heads up, no matter how much of a good idea it sounds at the time. Never EVER stick your finger down the CO2 chamber of a Sheridan to see if you can reach the nutsert.

My Junq Sale
Old 04-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have a PMI1 I fixed with a drop of epoxy between the nutsert and body. I will have to look at getting a tool from Harbor Freight for when it gets rebuilt.

Is this the one?

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Last edited by skx762; 04-26-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added link
skx762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skx762 View Post
that's the tool you want. 8-32 is the nutserts you need. the nutserts that come with the tool may or may not work. they may be too tall once installed and get in the way of the 12 gram. i'll see if i can find a link to some nutserts that aren't too tall.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
brassmage and necrotech

i havent had this problem before...once i recieved a pgp body without a nutsert, i took a brass lamp nut and dremeled it to fit from the inside, then soldered it in...and my p 12 nutsert was stripped, but intact, so i tapped it 10-32...still works :-)
chplnstone is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan