mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

what seals go where?

always makes me think of the joke about a breakdown recovery man going out to an eskimo's ski-do to get it going when I hear the word seal.....

back to topic, if you can tell me which seals go where from a palmers 12 gram kit in a PGP, preferable with pictures I'll post the rest of the joke (hows that for incentive?).

There seems to be more seals than places to put them when I've got the valve in bits.
Cannon Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Questions from someone who may be buying a number of palmers stuff this summer:

1. The kit doesn't happen to come with duplicates of the most commonly damaged seals, does it?

2. What are the instructions like? Or does the kit not come with a diagram?
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

no instructions with them, which is why I'm asking the question.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Unfortunately it looks like the pictures for the valve disassembly thread are down...I'll PM the original poster there and see if he can get those up.

The other threads I have that show pictures have the o-rings in teh wrong place. Maybe I need to make a picture thread for this?

I'll get back to you later with a picture.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks long beard, are some of the seals in the kit to go on the bolt, feed cap etc? At the moment I can only find three places to put seals in the valve assembly. 1 where the 12 gram goes up against, one between the "tube" and the valve bit and one to go round the "nose" of the assembly.

the one I took out that was between the "tube" and the valve bit isn't as round as the ones in the seal kit either, I mean is a circle but its more of a think flat shape.

As you can tell technical terms aren't my area of expertise.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

The piece that is flattened is supposed to be an o-ring. They get squished over time and get flat.
In an old style valve, there is the face seal, that part that the 12ie seals against.
There is the chamber-plug o-ring, the oring around the silver metal valve piece.
There is the actual valve stem, if its a palmers kit you just replace this with the new one.
Then there is the valve guide oring, that sits on a little groove in the valve guide,(the piece with the 4 holes drilled in it).
And last is the bolt o-ring.

So that is 5 seals. However in the kit, it should include 3 bolt orings and those would be the fattest orings in the seal kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Think I'll be able to work it out from that, right as promised:

Eskimo is out one day on his Ski-do, it stops running so he calls the AAA, the AAA man comes out and says "I can see what's happened here, you've blown a seal", the Eskimo replies "No, its just frost on my lips".
Old 03-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

last questions promise, valve guide o-ring won't sit still while I try to reassemble, will sticking it to the valve guide with something like pritt stick to hold it there while I force it all together with the retaining nut damage it?

And the chamber plug came detached from the brass body of the valve while I was taking it out - is that normal or have I broken it?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

FOr the oring I usually assemble the entire valve on the tool pointed upwards so that everything is there then install the valve with the body pointed up so the orings don't fall off.

The chamber plug is supposed to come apart from the brass sleeve. There should be a roll of steel that holds it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
last questions promise, valve guide o-ring won't sit still while I try to reassemble, will sticking it to the valve guide with something like pritt stick to hold it there while I force it all together with the retaining nut damage it?

And the chamber plug came detached from the brass body of the valve while I was taking it out - is that normal or have I broken it?
The extra o-rings are probably for the bolt.

The chamber plug can come out. You should have a steel sleeve that goes inside of the brass tube that's used to hold it in place.

It goes like this.... The small one goes on the chamber plug. There should be a groove that it goes into. The chamber plug goes into the brass sleeve. There's an insert in that sleeve to center it and hold it in place. The next o-ring goes between the valve and the brass sleeve. To keep it in place you put it on the front of the valve. I usually put it all together then push it all in with the valve tool.

Make sense? Maybe I'll take pics of a non-cart valve tonight...
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan