mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

magnetic spring feed mod with no slot or modding of the body

Ok, so instead of a slot along the feed tube, what if you put a magnet in the plunger, and then used another magnet on the outside of the body to hold the plunger down while loading, then just pull the magnet off and the plunger could then move applying pressure. Then you could just put the magnet on the feed plug set screw that notches it in place while you play.

To stop the plunger from flying out when the feed plug is removed you could just use a couple dabs of super glue or something to retain it.

Am I making sense? Any ideas or input?
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

A magnet that could have any significant force from one end of the feed tube to the other would probably crush paint at the far end.

I don't think it would work, but Id love to see it!

Never mess with Venox 7.
LagShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
I think he's saying put a magnet so it faces outside the diameter of the tube, and slide an opposing magnet along the tube to move the plunger, so it would only need to attract through the thickness of the feedtube wall.

I think that's probably very doable if you can find a strong enough magnet that size, and figure out an easy way to embed it in the follower without screwing up the OD of the follower.

Of course, you then have to figure out a way to hang onto the "reload" magnet, because if you drop it, forget what pocket it's in, etc in the middle of the game, you're kinda hosed.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Mayvik gets what im saying, there would still be a spring and plunger. you would just slide another magnet along the outside of the tube to move the plunger down and hold it while you dump the paint in, rather then milling a slot and using s bolt or set screw. Then once you pull the magnet off the plunger would move freely.

Some of the rare earth magnets are pretty strong and I think could pull the plunger against the spring.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

There's a simpler way to solve this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c69ggomYRQ
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

i like the idea... i think it could work... i think i would want the reload magnet to have a hole it it so i could put a piece of cord through it and tie it to the pump rod or something....
it would be a matter of finding the right strength magnets ... you could sell the magnetized follower,spring and reload magnet as a kit....it would be a easy drop in mod if it works
i think i would put some felt or something on my reload magnet to not damage the finish of the feed tube...

i dont think this would completely replace spring feeds with a slot milled in it but it would be a great alternative for those wanting to try a spring feed system and or dont have the cash to send there marker away for milling or tools to do it them selves

Goatboy: i think this idea applies to markers without existing springfeeds... pretty much anything stockclass or markers with longer feed tubes like a K-2, kp2, p68sc things like that

IF you have every done buisness with me could i bug you for a little feedback?... I allways forget to ask
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.isthereazombieapocalypse.com/
Graf Orlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

I know, but there is a parallel between the existing slotless feed issue and the complaints from the Tiberius crybabies I mean users who are complaining about the loss of a follower slot making it too hard to push the plunger back.

You're really looking at two problems: first is how to draw back the plug, and the second is how to lock/unlock it at the right times. Just cramming a swab in there solves the first...

I've thought about this problem myself, obviously...

/me clicks his retractable ballpoint pen a couple of times, for effect
Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post

Of course, you then have to figure out a way to hang onto the "reload" magnet, because if you drop it, forget what pocket it's in, etc in the middle of the game, you're kinda hosed.
Attach the reload magnet to a finger ring.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillage View Post
Attach the reload magnet to a finger ring.
I can already imagine all the players scurrying around the field screaming, "my preciousssssss! where did it go? filthy little muppets! they took it! my precioussssss! we wants it back!"
Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Why do you want to get rid of the slot? To keep dirt from entering it?

I think a cover and a floating connection rod would work better. A rod with a handle on it that slides back and forth in a cover, and has a hook that would catch on a small lever extending out from the ball pusher. You could pull it down and lock it in place to load, then slide it back to its storage position. Likely easiest to have the rod bent as a U, so the exterior handle is then back by where it would be on a normal spring feed.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan