mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
BLOODwaSHED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
I have modded a cartridge valve with good results on both a pgp2 and a p68. Using a drill press, open the output hole to a 15/64" and drill a hole through the bottom of the marker centered on the "transfer hole"( the hole between the two tubes) the same size then deburr. You may have a hole peek through to the outside between the tubes and will need to plug it with solder, clear epoxy etc. you will increase consistency and efficiency.
So let me get this straight. drill a 15/64th hole through the bottom of the body to meet up with and enlarge the the air passage, the new size may cause a hole to form on the outside seam (in which case fill the hole) ....but do I need to fill the hole that I made in the bottom of the body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
.... and lighter? why?

here's my way of thinking (correct me if I'm wrong)

lighter valve spring + lighter hammer + adjustable hammer spring tension via an RVA = better pump stroke and hopefully efficiency.....right?...or am I missing something?
"I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call my self a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That , it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations. Albert Einstein
bloodwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Hammers are generally lightened to reduce hammer bounce=less wasted gas per shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwashed View Post
So let me get this straight. drill a 15/64th hole through the bottom of the body to meet up with and enlarge the the air passage, the new size may cause a hole to form on the outside seam (in which case fill the hole) ....but do I need to fill the hole that I made in the bottom of the body?
I didn't fill the hole on the bottom, it gets covered by the grip frame. On a non-cartridge valve you would use that hole to align the valve guide, the same as an autococker or spyder valve. Everything else is exactly what I have done, you also need to to drill the valve exhaust out and make sure everything is lined up when you re assemble. I cannot guarantee you will have positive results with this, but this is exactly what every valve tune entails, and it worked great for me especially with consistency.

I chose 15/64" so I wouldn't have to patch very much(a pin hole maybe) on the exterior of the marker. Palmers and others will build up some solder on the exterior of the marker and then drill a 1/4" hole. If you unsolder the tubes you can put an insert between the two tubes.
the_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
BLOODwaSHED

alright thanks.

anybody have ideas on what grade steel I should use on a new hammer tho?
a guy at work suggested S7 tool steel, but I thought that would be a bit too extreme....what do you guys think?
"I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call my self a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That , it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations. Albert Einstein
bloodwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't know much about different steel types, but certainly stainless, sheridan used hardened steel. You want something that isn't too hard to work on, doesn't rust/keeps a polish, and can take hitting a steel pin a few thousand times. Modern pellet guns use a grub screw that can be adjusted so I doubt it needs to be super tough.

I would be interested in what you come up with, if you want to, pm me maybe we can bounce some ideas around. I've got some ideas that should at least help the pump stroke.
the_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
This is my member title

I think what I am thinking of is schedule 8 hardened stainless steel.
jlemond is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan