mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Bolt air hole, efficiency, valve tune etc.

Maybe it's morning haze...not sure...I just can't get my brain to think through this properly so I turn to other Sheridan experts. I'm looking for Sheridan geeks not just hypothesizing.

I understand what a valve tune does. Open the valve so more air goes out.

What about widening the hole in the bolt? What does that do for me? More specifically. What does it do in conjunction with a valve tune. OR what would a regular small hole do in conjunction with a valve tune. OR what would a larger bolt hole do WITHOUT a valve tune.

Does that make sense?

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

I think that if you perform a valve tune on the gun, that widening he bolt hole to the same size as the new hole in the valve is definitely necessary. Though I also wonder what happens if you widen the hole without a valve tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

do you mean the bolt face or the hole facing the valve. the hole facing the valve in the bolt should be the same size as the hole between the two tubes for best air flow, that being said I have never tested using a non-modded bolt with a valve tune.

I don't know if palmers modifies the bolt(if you don't get the ultra-quickstrip, where they replace the bolt)
the_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I was originally talking about the hole that faces the valve not the face, though that's a good question too. What happens if you modify the face, but not the lower hole? I have a pile of bolts of varying sized holes and so forth. I guess I'm just curious what happens when I start swapping bolts in and out of markers with and without valve tunes.

My MCB Feedback
Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Beard View Post
I was originally talking about the hole that faces the valve not the face, though that's a good question too. What happens if you modify the face, but not the lower hole? I have a pile of bolts of varying sized holes and so forth. I guess I'm just curious what happens when I start swapping bolts in and out of markers with and without valve tunes.
well... only one way to find out!

I would like to know, I can't imagine it would take more than a couple minutes.

You would just be testing velocity. Easiest to test with ca since velocity won't vary like a 12g.
the_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

isnt the problem that the hole between the tubes is too restrictive. I read a hole thread about this guy in czech that used spend brass shell and opened the hole between the tubes for better flow.

you can open the valve and bolt as much as you want, but if that hole between the tubes is too small your efforts are for nothing basically.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

^We are well aware of that. What we are discussing if if the bolt hole has any beneficial effects that can be had without a valve tune.

Also the guy you are probably talking about is 3022, he is a member here and chimes in occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Well fellas I have a cooper-t bolt that does have the hole drilled out on a non valve tuned Sheridan, and the results are...............no noticeable change. Now I could put that to a true comparison if everyone would like, IE. true count of shots over a chrono, if you really want.
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Myself and Russc did a bit of playing around with this a few years ago. A friend of mine comes to me with an original K2... all in parts from when he played many number of years ago. His son had gotten him back into it. After all was said and done, it was getting something like 8 shots from a 12g before venting. He gave us free reign to make it better.

So after new seals and a Dyna valve we got it up to 15 or so shots. Did the valve turn to make sure one port was turned directly inline with the transfer port. Then did some dremel work to the transfer port in the bolt to help flow. Ended up getting 20+ usable shots from a 12g when it was all over. We probably could have gotten more if we could somehow limit liquid from getting into the valve.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
Myself and Russc did a bit of playing around with this a few years ago. A friend of mine comes to me with an original K2... all in parts from when he played many number of years ago. His son had gotten him back into it. After all was said and done, it was getting something like 8 shots from a 12g before venting. He gave us free reign to make it better.

So after new seals and a Dyna valve we got it up to 15 or so shots. Did the valve turn to make sure one port was turned directly inline with the transfer port. Then did some dremel work to the transfer port in the bolt to help flow. Ended up getting 20+ usable shots from a 12g when it was all over. We probably could have gotten more if we could somehow limit liquid from getting into the valve.
While I appreciate this input and it's definitely good knowledge to have for those looking for efficiency information, it's not really what I was talking about originally. I understand how valve tunes work and how the Dyna Valve works and how they increase efficiency. I was only wondering about the size of holes in the bolt. I think I've resolved to do the testing....I just have to get off my lazy butt and do it.

My MCB Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan