mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Not to thread jack but do you really think the brass button in the valve would cause that? The only reason I ask is I have 2 CA sheridans running fine with out the button, but maybe I got lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
So yeah, something's definitely wrong - it's venting between shots. nofxkid's explanation is what I figured, but that wouldn't make sense here. And yeah, they're stock hammer and valve springs, though both are new. The really weird thing is I have two Sheridans that are doing it - one I rebuilt, and one that literally just came back from PPS...?

Edit: Just realized I didn't dry fire the PPS one, so that may be fine. I know it has a new spring, so that could have been holding the valve open as I aired it up de-cocked. That sounded wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
That shouldn't happen on sheridans with the stock springs. You running those? Also, did you put the little brass "button" back into the valve chamber?
Button? My valve consisted of the pin, spring, valve body, and chamber plug.

Last edited by matteekay; 05-24-2011 at 11:12 AM.
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
Not to thread jack but do you really think the brass button in the valve would cause that? The only reason I ask is I have 2 CA sheridans running fine with out the button, but maybe I got lucky.
No, probably not it but it does add a little bit of length to the valve spring and help keep it centered. I've actually forgot to put them in before and not had the issue.

Quote:
Button? My valve consisted of the pin, spring, valve body, and chamber plug.
There's a little brass piece that sits in the bottom of the valve chamber. It might still be in there as a lot of times they don't come out very easily.

While I've certainly had enough cockers behave like this I can't remember a stock sheridan doing it. The stock valve spring is hard as hell by comparison. I know it's a back bottle but there's no RVA on there and no shims on the spring right? Also, have you tried other tanks? If both guns are doing it then maybe something is wacky with the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum

Last edited by MaD; 05-24-2011 at 11:40 AM.
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Right, spring goes into the hole on the ASA.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
It could also be that the o-ring on the valve body isn't seated quite right you can have that leak. I've had the o-ring slip and so it's curled around the valve body and there's basically no seal at all going on.
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I thought about that - the weird thing is, it seals when cocked. I left it hooked to an HPA tank overnight with ZERO loss.

I'll replace the new hammer spring with an older, worn one and see if that stops it from pushing the valve open.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Heh, so..... yeah.

I'd replaced the hammer spring with a new PGP one from Palmers. Turns out, that spring was about 1/2" longer than the old one; I replaced it with the old one, and the gun seals and fires perfectly. Oops.

The PPS gun vents if you hook up air without cocking it, but is fine if it's been pumped and will seal perfectly after being fired. I'm willing to bet that part of the valve tuning (and that liquid glass pump stroke) is weakening/removing the valve spring, so as long as I remember to pump it before airing it up, I'm all good.

Thanks folks!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan