mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
PMI 2 refinishing & refurbing?

i have recently been very very seriously looking at buying my first brass gun. A pmi ii and i had a few questions. Firstly how would one go about refinishing the brass and is it worth it ? Secondly is it possible to use a spyder main spring in the gun? i have been looking at pictures of parts and the spyder spring look quite close ( provided you cut it down).
longstar550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Couple things....are you getting the PMI-2 with the stock class feed but back bottle, or are you getting the PMI-2 LB or SB (long barrel or short barrel respectively) each would have open class feed one is longer than the other...HA

Finish: If it has the original finish I'd recommend leaving it that way. You could strip it down to the brass and then shine it up with some Brasso. The other option is to re-blue it with some antique bluing. I'm an original finish type guy.

Spyder springs.....can be used.....but need cut down etc. However....If you contact MaD here on the forum he has the original springs that you need for wicked cheap. Why go half way, when you can get what you really need for cheap?

Let me know if I can be of any other help.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
thank you very much and currently i have a deal pending for a pmi 2 long barrel with the original finished and in respectable shape. the marker is in unknown condition ( it functions for sure mechanically but hasn't been tested with air ). So i am assuming it will hold air seeing as the design is so simple. However my current worry is that the main spring wont be in good shape or perhaps the valve spring
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
more often than not your valve spring isn't the problem. if anything your main spring might be weak from age....but even those....I don't replace a ton of main springs. I replace way more o-rings for these old sheridans than I do main springs. If it hasn't been tested in awhile good chance you'll need a valve o-ring.....do you have a valve tool? Those are handy to have.

My MCB Feedback
Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
i don't have a valve tool. i have a cocker valve tool but i will look at investing in a Sheridan valve tool.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Titus has them for a very reasonable price. If you're planning on owning brass I'd highly suggest snagging on.

My MCB Feedback
Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
for give my stupidity but how would one adjust the velocity on a gun such as the one im looking into purchasing?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
No problem.

Adjusting velocity isn't super easy on these markers. You either have to cut or shim your springs. To do that you have to take the back bottle adapter off. To shim the spring I recommend really small metal washers (local hardware store or Canadian Tire) and put them in the hammer.

HOWEVER....the MCB member WALZ offers a service for back bottle markers like yours where he will drill and install a simple velocity adjuster through the back bottle adapter of your marker. So that's an option for you.

My MCB Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan