mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

HOEPER's KP2 project. Finished!

Alright so I bought this off of ebay last week knowing that it had some issues. And boy it does, it has a metric sh** ton of issues. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

The drop though not aesthetically pleasing was very natural feeling.

This was stuffed in the bottom tube.

Must have had a cradle at one point or another.

The separation between the bottom tube and the stock has to go.

This whole area is a disaster. The stock was carved out so the side would fit and the feedneck looks like it was stuck on with bubblegum.

The opposite side had a plug that was held in by some sort of glue. Luckily it popped right out with a little heat.

This is what I found on the inside of the valve tube near the side tapped fitting. It was a challenge to get it out to say the least.

The internals

Interesting Finds:
  • Terrible leak down the barrel.
  • Missing the pierce pin/front half of the valve assembly.
  • No 12g push rod.
  • Had lightweight hammer that doesn't appear to be stock.
  • One of the holes in the valve is enlarged a bit to allow better air flow I'm guessing.
  • I believe this started out with a side tube as the old solder is still visible. Thankfully I don't think I'll have to modify the breech opening at all.

Things to do:
  • Refinish/find a new stock. I'm tempted to keep the stock as is for a beater one to play with.
  • Remove feedneck and replace with a side tube.
  • Make a sleeve to cover the side tap holes.
  • Make a 12g push rod.
  • Replace missing and damaged valve parts.
  • Refinish the chipping trigger group.

Things I Need:
  • Piece of feed tube
  • Feed tube plugs.
  • Palmers Fasst Changer.
  • Seal kit.
  • Valve pierce pin assembly.

Questions.
  • If I order a side tube from Tymcneer is he able to mill the breech hole for me?
  • What is the best way to fill the old screw holes in the stock?

I think that is about everything. I've been looking forward to getting my hands on one of these for years and I want to do this right. This is my first real Sheridan build. I have tinkered with them a bit but noting to this scale. Please feel free to post with any tips or observations. I'll be sure to keep this thread as updated as possible.
I can see it now, a mini van full of priests going 80mph through a suburb blasting metallica....

Feedback 2012 Sale WTB Thread

Last edited by HOEPER; 11-19-2012 at 01:48 AM.
HOEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

Well its about time for an update. This project has come a long ways since I first started. It still has a long ways to go though. Currently all of the soldering is done, minus a new front sight if I can find one I like. The bead just doesn't do it for me. Most of the visible parts have been attached. The trigger group is a spare as the correct one hasn't been painted yet.

There is still a lot of sanding, filing and finish work that needs to be done before the internals go in. But with the nice weather today I figured I'd take a few pics. Unfortunately the sun moved just enough in the 10 minutes it took to get everything ready that there is a pesky shadow in all of the photos everything. Enough rambling, pics:

After a little cleanup.
I can see it now, a mini van full of priests going 80mph through a suburb blasting metallica....

Last edited by HOEPER; 11-19-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

reserved

Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Very interesting. That first piece is very similar to what PPS uses to close up the ram tubes on Typhoons.

The piece you pulled out of the valve is a dead ringer for a part used in Typhoons. In fact, I'm 100% sure that's a PPS part.

Could you post a photo of that hammer, and of the underside of the gun body?

Also, for what it's worth...unmodified KPs shoot much better on constant air than 12 grams, and are much more enjoyable to shoot in that configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOEPER View Post
This was stuffed in the bottom tube.

This is what I found on the inside of the valve tube near the side tapped fitting. It was a challenge to get it out to say the least.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
brassmage and necrotech

ha! i'd offered on this on forum, now i'm kinda glad i didn't get it but seriously, does it still have the soldered-in valve assembly? the pps typhoon assembly takes the place of the soldered-in assembly, if all of the aluminum parts were in front of an original valve core you could be in business with just an ammo tube and a little time. tymcneer does do breach hole milling for a small fee, hell, i often get fully milled k-series kits from him... if the aluminum was in place of the original valve core, you can either re-install the aluminum parts (with new o-rings of course) or just go with a cartridge valve (available through either crosman or jg airguns)

looking for: sony alpha NEX-6, working AT-85/AT10 preferably with straight asa

happy with me? http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by chplnstone; 02-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.
chplnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

The parts circled in green along with the associated pin and spring were found in the bottom tube. Nothing else from that diagram. I can get a pic of the actual internals tonight after I get off work. Also I forgot to mention that one of the four ports in the right part i circled appears to have been enlarged. What will that accomplish?

Is there such thing as a ca adapter for a KP2 bottom tube?

Last edited by HOEPER; 02-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Not sure which picture you're referencing...what did you circle?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

Sorry, fixed that.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
brassmage and necrotech

the enlarged port is for increased air transfer into the barrel... this may likely has been to palmer's at some point. taking a closer look at the sidetap holes, looks like the aluminum assemblies sat in front of the valve assembly, so likely easy to swap back to stock if you really want to. yes, there are kp2 ca setups out there, either through the WTB or i might be able to dig one up if need be

edit: eek! now seeing your circled parts, the lack of a face seal holder and spacer tube indicate lack of a valve core... so if you intend on going back to stock you'll definitely need either a new solder-in core or a cartridge valve

looking for: sony alpha NEX-6, working AT-85/AT10 preferably with straight asa

happy with me? http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by chplnstone; 02-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.
chplnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Those PPS parts have replaced part of the valve, but I'm pretty sure they still have the core soldered in when they do that mod? Don't fix what ain't broke!

Your gun has had a valve job, but it's also been professionaly converted to C/A. I assume the direct feed wasn't done by palmers, but I'm pretty sure the other work on the gun was.

Last edited by russc; 02-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan