mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

KP Questions

Well, I just got my first KP, it's a KP-3, and I have a couple questions!

This KP is fully original stock as far as I can tell, and in pretty good shape.

I've already begun re-finishing the stock, so far so good.

Questions:

C02 tanks, I have a 3.5oz. tank, which fits inside the tank rings, does anyone know where I can pick up a new larger (larger the better) tank that will fit within the rings?

Velocity adjustment, being stock it doesn't have an adjustable reg for the tank, how do I adjust velocity on a KP, or on any Sheridan brass for that matter? Considering sending it in to Palmers to have an RVA installed.

Palmers turn-around time, if I send it in for the performance tune does anyone know what I can expect the wait time to be for this?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I make my foray into brass, your responses are much appreciated!
C4 Explosives is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 Explosives View Post
Well, I just got my first KP, it's a KP-3, and I have a couple questions!

This KP is fully original stock as far as I can tell, and in pretty good shape.

I've already begun re-finishing the stock, so far so good.

Questions:

C02 tanks, I have a 3.5oz. tank, which fits inside the tank rings, does anyone know where I can pick up a new larger (larger the better) tank that will fit within the rings?
I believe 7/9 oz co2 tanks should fit no problem.
Velocity adjustment, being stock it doesn't have an adjustable reg for the tank, how do I adjust velocity on a KP, or on any Sheridan brass for that matter? Considering sending it in to Palmers to have an RVA installed.
In the mean time, you can shim the spring with washers or a screw to get up to velocity. To get the RVA, you just need to drill and tap the the rear of the trigger group. Any competent machinist should be able to do that for you
Palmers turn-around time, if I send it in for the performance tune does anyone know what I can expect the wait time to be for this?
That's going to depend on palmers. While you're there, I would reccomend getting wedgits, unless paint where you are is somewhat big.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I make my foray into brass, your responses are much appreciated!
Answers in red, hope it helps.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not all 9 oz tanks will fit. Older 10 oz tanks are perfect. A 13/3000 might fit, someone else might chime in on that.

For velocity, you can replace/shim the hammer spring, maybe replace the valve spring with something lighter(nelson springs fit fine)

Some bolts are adjustable as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
13 and 22 cu tanks fit in the rings, but some Sheridans have problems with HPA...you might have even more velocity problems. They really love CO2....I'd echo the chemist and say if you can find one of the long 10 oz. tanks. They're fabulous.

RVA and valve job.....I'd actually talk to WALZ. I know he does both of those things and has been ripping through projects for people.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
X2 on what longbeard said about walz, he does great work and fast too. on a related note, palmer's will probably take awhile. all three times I have sent something there over tha last 3-4 years its taken a month at least.

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for all of the responses guys, the brass bug bit and I'm grateful for the help. I might just contact Walz, though a month wait isn't too terrible.

So, a few more questions based on the answers...

I read somewhere, based on a Google search, that the diameter of tanks that will fit within the rings can go up to 20oz. and never need re-testing. I would love to get something with high capacity like this, anyone have a link to where I could purchase new tanks at the 7,9,10oz.+ capacities? (Anyone selling some?)

Wedgits. I bought a brass barrel with wedgits for my SL-68II last year from PPS and it ROCKS! I don't mind so much paying someone for this mod, but if there's a DIY tutorial for doing this, I wouldn't mind learning.

For the RVA, I do know some folks with machinist skills, is there a recommended thread tap anyone could suggest? 1/4-20?

I like to do things myself when and where I can, it's part of the fun, but I'm a better wood-worker than a machinist so I don't mind paying someone else to do it right. That said, if anyone wants to trade stock re-finishing work for metal work I'd be down. I'll post some pics of the stock work when I get it done, if for nothing else than for the giggles.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 Explosives View Post

I read somewhere, based on a Google search, that the diameter of tanks that will fit within the rings can go up to 20oz. and never need re-testing. I would love to get something with high capacity like this, anyone have a link to where I could purchase new tanks at the 7,9,10oz.+ capacities? (Anyone selling some?)
ones that never need re-hydro are co2 tanks under 2 inches in diameter so a 20oz would be quite the long tank. I have an old thermo tank that is about the same size of a 22ci HPA tank if you are interested. it probably works out to 9-12oz by the looks of it.

btw, I used to live in wisconsin and play with the river rats (team akkadian and such) I rember them taking about playing with you woodland security guys.

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
no way your'e getting a 20 oz tank that fits in there.

you're going to have to be playing crazy long games, or shooting crazy amounts of paint to use more than a 10 oz in a game. If you feel like you really need it....you could always use a remote line and just attach it to the front of the CA adapter...and just take the rings off.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongbloke View Post
btw, I used to live in wisconsin and play with the river rats (team akkadian and such) I rember them taking about playing with you woodland security guys.
Cool cool, I know Neil and those guys, fought under them at a Splattag GBG recently. Hmmm thought I removed my Woodland Security sig, I recently left WS to join the Wild Bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Beard View Post
you're going to have to be playing crazy long games, or shooting crazy amounts of paint to use more than a 10 oz in a game. .
Crazy long games are how I roll, except for open play games. For scenario I usually run a Gen2 SL-68II with a Ninja 50/4500 peanut, a PPS barrel, and about 600+ rounds. I don't like coming off the field before the action stops, setting up pump play in this config has lots of staying power in scenario games. My home field is Splattag in WI and it is very often target rich, even open play games can get upwards of 100+ players. Of course I could just carry two 10oz. and call it good
Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
THE NEW PA

if you have trouble finding a 10 oz.
7 oz. tanks fit, i think titus had a bunch for sale.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan