mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

new to Pirates...

i'll be commissioning a scratch build pirate from Chpinstone this up coming year. but i've never really used one, but since he lives about 5 minutes from me and i've helped him diag one of his designs and will be helping him, he sorta sold me on one.

now, i sorta already have the internals, and i don't really have to worry about that. i am envisioning a lever(Chpinstone sorta knows how to them ), and 12 grams. this will be my first 12-vie gun, as i am coming from an electro hopper feed world. this won't be done anytime soon, as Chpinstone is busy already with a few projects, but hopefully in the fall with the summer being the gathering of parts. also, this will be one of a kind and totally unique. there has never been one like this.

so i guess i'm asking is direct feed and constant air bad for a pirate or a more traditional pirate is 12 grams and feed tubes or because its a pirate i can have it any sort of way i want?

i don't know if i am going with a stacked tube or tri tube or any advantages to one over the other?

i know that the feed tube count is more up to the shot count of the valve, as well as balancing the length of the barrel and feed tube. so i was thinking more of 15 shots, just for ease of math as well as a spring feed. i like the idea, but don't care for rock and cock. but hell, tell me what to expect. this is a learning experience.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
You can probably do constant air on a pirate, but direct feed seem out of place for me. Also because most pirate are already front heavy, putting on another hopper may not be to your liking.

I like all my pirate gun with spring feed, but then that's just me, of course spring feed does take a few more seconds to reload when compare to stock class feed or direct feed.

you should see if you can try one or 2 from Chpinstone and see which one you like. There maybe other members close by that have pirate.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Is this you first pump, or are you just heading deeper down the rabbit hole?
If this is your first pump, and you're not sure how serious you are into pump, I would avoid diving right in with a "pure" stock class marker. A side-tubed pirate with a traditional 12g lower tube might look cool, but you might find out 10 minutes into your first game that you hate stock class, and wish you'd invested that time and money into something else.
If this is the case, then I'd recommend an DF pirate with a dropout 12g lower tube, with the stock drilled for a mounting bracket. The direct feed gives you the chance to put either a hopper or a stock class feed, and the droupout and bottom-line mounting gives you the chance to run 12g in the lower tube, or a dummy 12g to the mount where you can stick a tank, or even a CCI 12g changer. It might not be the "prettiest" pirate, but it gives you the most versatility when it comes to deciding how you want your marker, and will let you decide what flavor of pump you enjoy (A note here. If this is your first pump marker, I would not recommend getting a pirate, at least not a custom-build pirate right off the bat. Grab yourself an old, cheap PMI Trracer or similar and find someone to fit it into a pirate stock, then give that a shot to see how you like it.)

If this isn't your first pump tango, then the ball is in your court, and you should choose accordingly.
I run my pirate side-tube with the 12g in the lower chamber. I prefer it not springfed because rocking the gun takes less work than reloading a springfeed. I like the side-tube because it gives my pirate a sleeker look, but I have both a top-tube and a side-tube pump, and it's mostly an aesthetic choice to me.
Here's a snap shot of my pirate. Top right nex to the Mad Pistol.

Last edited by Whee McGee; 04-09-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

this would be first stock class, but not pump. i used to run a SL2 for exclusive night play when i did scenario games(revy, 47ci tank and the gun, no pack was all i ran), and i have my half block pump. this will be for those rare games where i want to limit paint or just be different.

this won't be a primary. i just would like the diversion, as well as the challenge of how i'm running the internals. this will be different than what you expect.

i am building this regardless. even if it becomes a wall hanger, its worth it to me.

i will talk to Chpinstone about borrowing one. i've pumped but i've never levered. so that would be different. and to get a little experience would be helpful. plus it would tell me what i like about the borrowed gun(feed tube size, set up, how much would i want for grip, drop out, etc.).

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Awesome, then go nuts! Be sure to post pics and details of what you're ordering.

Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee McGee View Post
Awesome, then go nuts! Be sure to post pics and details of what you're ordering.
oh i plan to. this will be unique and i can't wait to show it.

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Back sorta I guess

CCM Fan
Is it by any chance an under-fed lever gun?

If you are what you eat, then isn't cannibalism the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
barrels are like women - everyone likes them for their subtle differences and personal preferences. ALthough at this price, they cost substantially less than women.

(caution: barrels are not like women, do NOT insert your p3nis into a barrel)
ComradeBenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
brassmage and necrotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBenedict View Post
Is it by any chance an under-fed lever gun?

nope, that's #8, hopefully to be completed by tunaball (and likely lent to nobody to get a feel for levers)...

looking for: sony alpha NEX-6, working AT-85/AT10 preferably with straight asa

happy with me? http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
chplnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

nope, i can't give anything more as it would give it away. this is a surprise and the best surprises are the ones that are <insert dramatic pause unexpected.

but please, give me more input, more info. since i'm "jumping" a few steps in the pump line, i am sure that i am over looking something. i don't know how my setup will run, so i can't tune the feedtube for the shots to come up even, but i figure that 15 would be easy.

though, i did visualize why not having a spring feed can actually be an advantage. but imagination vs. actuality are 2 different things, i do understand the basis of not using them.

i'll take whatever lever chpinstone wants to loan me. though, i'd loan him a gun or three, but most of mine take batteries and use microswitches, so that's not going to work. unless its opposite day and the kilt is left home and someone wants to shoot more than 6bps!

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have #7 or ian's

It is a left offset gravity feed. This makes it not quite as tall as a true top tube feed. Since I am right handed i figure it is better for tracking people to my right then a right hand feed, and I always have my left eye to track people to the left!

With a pirate you are always going to tip the gun back anyways, unless you have a monkey grip on the marker. And I have never not reliably fed a ball every time I use the action, you don't have to concentrate on it like a true side tube. Also side tubes can get in the way of changing the 12g unless the the 12g tube cap extends past the feed tube. I wanted the feed to match the barrel(20 shots!). I can even flip cock it and it feeds fine.

I believe he has tighter bore material now(678?). A kp hammer will be smoother then the PMI-1 one I have since the sear will not drag on it(I polished mine and put a weaker trigger spring in and it helped a lot)

I can help with some of the other questions when I think of answers. Chipnstones work is very nice, and he communicated well the whole time even though I was in communicado while he was doing the build.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan