mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Sheridan (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sheridan/)
-   -   PMI 1 leak (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sheridan/212022-pmi-1-leak.html)

No Mercy Ever 08-27-2012 01:27 PM

PMI 1 leak

So I sold one recently, never having played with it. Buyer got it, and this last weekend, decided to shoot it to try it out:

Quote:

The first 12 gram I put in made a sort of a gurgling sound, I got around 15 shots off before it was empty. The second sealed fine, but I only shot it once before it just vented the whole 12 gram. Both 12ies also got stuck in the tube, it took quite a lot of effort to get them out.
His words directly. Any ideas what it is? I am thinking that it may be a seal down below, considering that it sat for however many years (The owner that I picked it up from bought it new, used it a year or two, then decided to sell it off around a year ago, when I got it from him), and probably needs new seals. But what seals specifically, based upon what he said?

Stilgar 08-27-2012 01:41 PM

Silly buyers and actually wanting to play with the gear they buy eh?

Sounds like the Valve Stem seal is gone.

Easy way to find out is to ask if the air is leaking out the barrel (Face seal) or from the bottom tube(Valve stem Seal).

No Mercy Ever 08-27-2012 02:20 PM

Heh, I am one of them. I actually picked up the PMI 1 and a KP3 from a back east. Massachusetts I think. I played with the KP3 a bit, and like it. The PMI 1 was just an extra for a really good price.

sniper42 08-27-2012 05:18 PM

Also, a 12gram stuck in the bottom tube is usually a tell-tale sign of a bad 12gram seal. When they go bad it pinches the 12ie and they get stuck.

MaD 08-27-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper42 (Post 2456914)
Also, a 12gram stuck in the bottom tube is usually a tell-tale sign of a bad 12gram seal. When they go bad it pinches the 12ie and they get stuck.

Yep, this. When those seals go bad they tend to hold onto the 12g. Pretty easy to spot a bad one if they can take a pic down the lower tube. The only bad part is they'll need a valve tool to fix it.

Long Beard 08-27-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaD (Post 2456967)
The only bad part is they'll need a valve tool to fix it.

And a new seal from Mad:)

splatmaster12 08-29-2012 12:18 AM

I am the buyer mentioned, sounds like you guys nailed it. I tested it out again today to see if it was just being temperamental, it held well, I fired once and it vented. Anybody know where I can pick up a valve tool and some seals?
Edit: Missed the part about MaD having seals. Guess all I need now is a valve tool.

Axel 08-29-2012 12:26 AM

Titus has them.

Also, Sheridan pumps don't puncture the 12 gram until the first shot--so it's not holding well, it just hasn't opened the twelvie yet. :)

splatmaster12 08-29-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel (Post 2458502)
Titus has them.

Also, Sheridan pumps don't puncture the 12 gram until the first shot--so it's not holding well, it just hasn't opened the twelvie yet. :)

I see. This is only my second piece of brass, and so far my pgp has had no problems. needless to say this is a learning experience for me :p Both MaD and Titus have been contacted, awaiting reply.