mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Looking to build some brass..

Ok, so I'm broke and out of projects at the moment, so I found my mind wandering.

Sure enough I get a picture in my head of a sheridan pistol with a K-frame, some nice iron sights, and matching wood pump handle/grips...

Now, I've owned a few brass guns over the past several years, but never actually got to the point where I did any custom work or even repair work, so bear with me here: I'd like to build this pistol (actually, possibly two) at some point down the road and I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying a PGP to build from, or if I should just start from absolute scratch. Even if I start with a PGP base, I want to rebarrel it to .680, so I'm not sure which route I should be looking at.

Any help?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Having owned and worked on a lot of brass (but not to the degree of our experts... by a long shot...) I'd think your best bet is to get a PGP as a base. That way, the whole lower tube (12 gram/pierce pin/chamber/valve/hammer/hammer spring) can be kept intact and all you'll have to do is make sure the transfer port and feed hole are correct on the new barrel. It's bound to be a lot easier than trying to install all of that stuff in a bare tube.
matteekay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I'd start with a base gun. At least the lower tube.... Just easier than starting from nothing. IMHO, a PMI1 is a much better base gun. The short length of the PGP lower tube is just too limiting. However..... if you use a PGP body, I'd go with a PGP 2 lower tube. While I'm not as big a fan of the cart valve, having the fasst threading already done in the tube is a pretty big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Thanks guys. Main reason I'm looking at PGP bodies is mostly for length- Ideally I'd like to do two of these so that in a pinch I can holster one and draw the other. Maybe I've just been watching too much cowboy action shooting lately but that's the bug that's bitten me as far this project goes. So with that, being shorter will go a long way toward easier handling/holstering. And adding the K-frame makes them longer right off the bat.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
brassmage and necrotech

i agree with mad on the longer valve tube, i usually run with 2 p68sc's, nice comfy pump length with the longer tube. added length of the k-frame doesn't give me much of an issue in a belted holster... all personal preference. coming to wasteland warriors? can 'feel' mine out if you like

looking for: working ATS preferably with straight asa, brass sheridan donors/bits, vert feed micromag/ule body, green/camo SP wood grips for cf frames

happy with me? http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
chplnstone is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan