mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

New to PGP's And paintball in general.

Hi guys, so ive decided for my first marker that is just for myself will be the sheridan pgp that i have recently bought on mcb. i am hoping this will be a fun little project, the overall aesthetic of the marker really intrigues me.

I will most likely be installing a k frame and polishing the pistol to a mirror finish, i want the end result to have as smooth of a pump stroke as possible, and im willing to put in the work and energy to get it there.

I have a few questions though, if i am doing a full overhaul of the marker, what are the best steps to go about this? Should the internals be polished and stripped clean aswell? is a new bolt worth getting?

Thank you so much in advance, and if there are any step by step guides that i have not stumbled upon already about how to restore an old pgp to pristine condition it would be greatly appreciated!
Samhouston123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Without knowing what you have or the condition of the marker......I like taking PGP's or any Sheridan apart and putting new seals in myself....because then I know it's done. HOWEVER....you need a special valve tool. A guy here on MCB named Titus has those for a good price. You can track it down in the "Dealers Forum".

I don't really believe in polishing internals. The joys of Sheridan to me are that they just work. A new bolt....maybe. A delrin one (again Titus has some red delrin ones) or a Cooper T bolt if you can find one are always nice. Honestly to me the cool part of a PGP is that bone stock it works.

If you're going to upgrade the one thing I would recommend is a quick change for CO2. Basically it's a sleeve that screws into the fine threads of the co2 tube and then has a big thread knob that threads into it. So instead of 25 small turns it only takes 1 and half.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
The quick change above is a good mod for sure. If you could upload a pic of your PGP it could help us to help you more.

One thing that will help with smoothness to watch out for is where the lug connects from your bolt to the hammer in your lower tube. Where it hits the barrel tube in its foremost location there tends to kick up a burr into your barrel and it will rub badly, this is the main thing to look out for IMO to keep thing's. smooth. If you have a new style PGP you wont need a special tool to remove the valve body. I prefer the cartridge valves in the newer Sheridans, they are much easier to work on.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bolt Action/Pistol Player

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Beard View Post
HOWEVER....you need a special valve tool. A guy here on MCB named Titus has those for a good price. You can track it down in the "Dealers Forum".
Only if it's a P Series. If it is, follow this advice and contact Titus.

On the later PA Series PGP's you don't need a valve tool, they are Cartridge valves.

S.C.A.R. - The Simulated Combat Association of Rhode Island - S.C.A.R. on Facebook - My MCB Feedback - Meet "The Devil's Brass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorman47 View Post
The devil's brass uses an evil sighting system powered by juju obtained from the deep and ominous laughter from the gun's owner himself.......seriously playing in a game against Born4Evil , and you see him sneaking your way, then BAM and all you hear is something to the effect of "Haha can't get away from the Devil's Brass!" Born4Evil seriously sounds like the devil himself, and its awesome. That gun is hands down the most badass gun in my mind.
Born4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Posting pictures always help, when looking for advice.

funsi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info guys! ill post a picture of it as soon as i recieve it.

So far i have bought
Oil, a K frame, a new bolt from titus, a valve tool, and a seal kit from pps.

im considering barrel honing and widgets, are these practical? particularly the barrel honing, isnt honing just polishing the barrel? seems like something you might be able to do yourself.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah,you can do that by using a drill,wooden dowel rod with a cut on the end and 000-0000 steel wool, Brasso on a rag with the rod might work well also..
as long as it has no major scratches this method will clean/polish it up.

homemade 'widgets' can be made with drops of fingernail polish....they work and can be removed.

FYI-Sheridan barrels are about .686
Brassballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sup guys, little update. received my pgp in mediocre shape which is what i expected, i changed the seal kit, got a delrin bolt from titus. sanded it up to 1000 grit and 000-0000 steel wool and polished it with brasso.

few more questions. How exactly do you set up the fingernail polish widgets?

And what exactly needs lubrication on the pgp? is there anything that shouldnt be lubricated?

thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Gazoo Send a message via MSN to Gazoo Send a message via Yahoo to Gazoo

3 to 4 drops oil down the lower tube to lubricate the valve internals prior to 12 gram install, occasional oil on the bolt, but not too much.
Thats it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Welp, got the whole thing put together today, air it up, no leaks, dry fired it till the co2 ran out. i take it back inside and hear a rattle, undo my co2 knob and the co2 piercing pin i ordered from palmers is broken in half. how could this have happened?

i gave palmers an email about the problem, hopefully they can come up with a solution.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan