mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

The leak sounds like it's in the bottom tube. There's nothing in the pistol grip. My PMI loads the CO2 cartridge from the front of the bottom tube. It feels like the leak is where the Cartridge is pierced or somewhere there about. So I'm pretty sure it's one of the internal seals or something. Won't know until I get the innards out and can take a look at them. Could just be some grit or something. I don't know a thing about this guns history....zip, so I have to assume the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited by ShadowMan; 03-23-2013 at 02:03 AM.
ShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

how did you clean the outside of the body? media blast?

some people like to drill a few holes in the 12 gram knob so they can snug it down with another 12g.
maybe you didn't have it tight enough.

Last edited by Brassballs; 03-23-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Brassballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

When I say from the grip, I am referring to there is a bleed hole in the bottom tube, hidden by the grip frame. When the face plug seal (the one that seals against the 12g co2)is bad it will leak and the will appear to come from around the front of the the grip frame or front grip frame screw. If it leaks down the barrel it is most likely the cup seal(but not necessarily) This is the only place you have a chance of some debris blowing away.

Mad's seal kit will have all of the seals in one shot. Best bang for your buck.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...isc-parts.html
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
When I say from the grip, I am referring to there is a bleed hole in the bottom tube, hidden by the grip frame. When the face plug seal (the one that seals against the 12g co2)is bad it will leak and the will appear to come from around the front of the the grip frame or front grip frame screw. If it leaks down the barrel it is most likely the cup seal(but not necessarily) This is the only place you have a chance of some debris blowing away.

Mad's seal kit will have all of the seals in one shot. Best bang for your buck.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...isc-parts.html
Ahhh the bleed hole. Mine appears to have been soldered closed. I was wondering what that extra hole was and why it was soldered closed. Hmmmm

The cup seal? Not quite sure where that is? My guess would be that it's the seal where the tip of the cartridge sits against the valve body. That was pretty dirty when I cleaned it the first time. Also I had the face plug screwed in as far as it would go and rather firmly.

I can tell you this has been an interesting exploration with this old gun. I'm really enjoying this and now want to ensure that I bring this ol'hoss back to better than new. I really like the inventiveness and craftsmanship I've seen here in this forum, very inspiring. I also really appreciate all the help and assistance you folks have provided - THANKS!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
Ahhh the bleed hole. Mine appears to have been soldered closed. I was wondering what that extra hole was and why it was soldered closed. Hmmmm

The cup seal? Not quite sure where that is? My guess would be that it's the seal where the tip of the cartridge sits against the valve body. That was pretty dirty when I cleaned it the first time. Also I had the face plug screwed in as far as it would go and rather firmly.
the soldered hole(in your pictures) is normal,it's how they soldered the valve body in the tube.
the vent hole is forward of that by the grip frame screw hole.

the cup seal is the seal that opens/closes when you fire it.
kindof like this one
http://www.baccipaintball.com/media/...s/h/she622.jpg

animated sheridan
http://www.freewebs.com/vikingshadow/sheridan.gif

Last edited by Brassballs; 03-23-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Brassballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

hmmm have you not read the sticky on non-cartridge valve removal?
Sheridan Valve Assembly and Other Tech Links
let me try and be more clear.

Name:  PGP_Non_Cart_4.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  89.3 KB

1: part#68at-034 valve nut
2: part#68at-032 lead seal (not needed)
3: part#68at-033 valve body
4: part#F500-2 valve chamber sleeve
5: part#F500-1 chamber sleeve clip
6: part#F500 chamber plug.

Name:  sheridan%2012%20gr%20seal_small.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  2.9 KB
That is the pierce pin/cup seal. It is located in the valve along with a spring.
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I really should fix that pic and add the valve itself in there... lol (goes between 3 and 4 if you haven't figured that out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
hmmm have you not read the sticky on non-cartridge valve removal?
Dude....I've read so much stuff in the last week here my brain is spinning!

Also, I'm trying to be VERY careful and not break anything - (which trust me, I'm the original BULL in the china shop) - while at the same time learning and mastering this ol'Hoss to restore it and bring it back into the game.

So I'll apologize up front if my questions are too inane or asked too many times. I just want to do everything right the first time. I really do appreciate everyone's time and patience here as I'm a bit of an Ol'Hoss myself. I'm sorry if my questions seem too redundant and I'll try to only ask the smart ones AFTER I've tried to find the answer on my own, but sometimes I don't even know what question to ask.

I'm thinking that what I might do as a pay it forward in gratitude for everyone's effort here helping me out with this project is to work up a Rebuilding/Restoring post with lots of pictures and references that takes everything step by step (baby steps) through the process with this model for other newbies like myself. There is SOOOOOO much information on this website that it can be a little overwhelming and even confusing when someone is first starting out...or I could just be a little lame in the brain, but I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Licensed idiot

Remember, if you feel overloaded with information at any time during your stay at Mcarterbrown, follow these instructions:

1. STOP
2. DROP
3. ROLL

B-17 feedback
B-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Gazoo Send a message via MSN to Gazoo Send a message via Yahoo to Gazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-17 View Post
Remember, if you feel overloaded with information at any time during your stay at Mcarterbrown, follow these instructions:

1. STOP
2. DROP
3. ROLL
And don't forget DRINK in there as well for most of you.......

I know how you feel. Just take it apart, document what you take out, and put it back together. The valve is fairly simple once you look at it.

If you need help other than the sticky, you got a lot of knowledge here. (some better than others..... )

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan