mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Instapierce and Dyna Valve / insta pierce

I have been thinking about installing a CCI insta pierce assembly in my PGP.

I've also been thinking about doing a valve job but I have a few questions about the dyna valve stem.

First, is there any difference between the dyna valve and the standard valve stem besides the narrowing of the valve stem for increased flow? Is the head of the sealing surface shaped differently?

Second, since I will be using an insta pierce, should I get a standard PMI dynavalve or a PGP type? I see that the PGP Type has a brass piece that extends forward that could possibly limit the throw of the valve as opposed to the non 12 gram type stem.

Does that serve any purpose? Would it be best to just get the PGP type and knock off the pierce pin, or the constant air type?

Last question - has anyone installed a CCI pierce assembly in a pgp cart valve? Does the length work out or do you need to adjust your co2 knob afterwards?

Thanks for any info fellas.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

From what I've seen the PPS Dynavalves are actually just modified sheridan valve stems. The "cup" portion is the same on both the 12g and CA version. For your purpose I'd use the CA version.

For the modification you'd need to take some of the meat off of the tip of the chamber plug then tap the tip and thread in the CCI insta pierce. If nothing else you probably need to take the lip off of the chamber plug so the insta pierce can fit flush. You could change the length of the CO2 plug / cup if you don't get enough threads.

Oh wait... CART valve... would take a bit more work. I think if you drilled the threaded tip piece out you could potentially tap / put theCCI pierce on the face where the face seal goes. Might have to turn off the ridge.

Honestly though if you're using the fine threaded CO2 knob I don't think the insta-pierce works all that well. You have to crank like hell and lose Co2. Better with a pgp2 or fasst changer.

Oh yeah, bigmatt made an insta pierce valve replacement at one point. It was a drop in. Might want to ping him and see if he still has any.

Also, here's some pics of an insert I made as well as a scratch built cart valve. They're both instapierce so you can see how that looks. The bigger difference is that my goal was use of cocker valves.
Sheridan valve work ... in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum

Last edited by MaD; 05-12-2013 at 05:11 PM.
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I have used insta-pierce from BE Blade pump in my tunned Sheridan:

- with new valve stem and cup seal.

It has worked, but then I have switched to totaly new insta-pierce easy manufactured from SS allen screw:

http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/ladeni_PG...sta-pierce.gif
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/ladeni_PG...rce_PGP_03.gif
http://www.pgp.mysteria.cz/ladeni_PG...e_PGP_02_V.gif

Works better, does not needs other special parts, seals or tools - only drillpress, screw tap and things like that.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

I have never installed one on a cartridge valve but I did one on an older style valve and it worked well. Only issue I had, was it was mandatory to use an extended co2 knob. I couldn't get enough torque on the tiny stock knob to pierce a 12ie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Interesting. PPS would install instapierce on pugs, but those didn't allow you to get a wrap around grip on the 12 gram changer.

I was planning on doing work to my PGP 2k1.

3022, I've seen those diagrams. Do you make the piercing unit itself from scratch, if not what is the piercing unit made out of? I don't know that I could drill such a fine hole through hardened steel.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post

3022, I've seen those diagrams. Do you make the piercing unit itself from scratch, if not what is the piercing unit made out of? I don't know that I could drill such a fine hole through hardened steel.
The piercing part is made from common stainles steel allen screw - drill hole inside and grind the tip here. You do not need use hardened steel here - the piercing piece has obtuse angle and the part which is pierced in powerlet is very thick and made from some metal what is softer than this SS.

The case of the piercing part is modified regular Sheridan face seal casing.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan