mcarterbrown.com

Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

KP3 Low Velocity/efficiency

Okay I've read a few posts already on this issue so I don't wanna have a rerun of past posts; however I need some pointers on how to get top of the line performance outa my kp3 as if she was new again. Basically all I have done so far to get her running again was buy a PGP CA adapter from PPS and I made and adapter for it so it would work in a kp3. After that I took her to the field I haven't been able to get it to shoot over 220 FPS; I've tried adding shims behind the spring but it just lowers the FPS. Now I've always been a cocker guy so I'm starting to think its acting like a cocker does when you screw the IVG in to much, you just back it out a tad then work on sweet spotting the regulator. So My plan right now is to buy a new KP hammer/valve spring from PPS along with the female stabilizer. Here's the links to what I'm looking at . . .

Spring, Valve [SHER034] - $3.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something
Spring, Hammer, Rifle [SHER016R] - $5.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something
Female Stabilizer [PPSP010] - $79.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

(or I might get this direct stabilizer so as to keep my on/off ASA, there's nothing I hate more than attempting to screw/unscrew a full air tank from a maker.)

Direct Stabilizer [PPSP014] - $100.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Now as far as a new seal kit, She isn't currently leaking but I'm sure when I knock everything out I'll end up tearing some old O-Ring's; because the marker hasn't ever been torn down, according to the first owner He bought it and never played a Game with it, it just sat in a closet. So looking at the PPS site I see several seal kits but I'm not sure which one I should get because none of them say "For KP#" Anyway Just wanted to know If I'm going in the right direction as far as solving my velocity issues and efficiency, as it sits right now I can only get through one game before having to top off on air again; also it was suggested that I have it drilled/tapped for a rear velocity adjustment; but I want this marker to stay as close to the original as possible, by that I just mean no hacking/drilling of any sort, as for bolt on accessories, I don't mind those at all.
Geldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

I would say you need a new hammer spring.
But and someone will correct me if I am wrong... I think the Kp-3 has a cartridge valve, if the holes on the valve are not lined up correctly, air will get partially blocked resulting in low fps.
If it is a cartridge valve you will want this seal kit:
Seal Kit, PGP2 [SHER063] - $20.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Results from the stabilizer may not be cost effective on a brass marker, based off cost to performance increase.
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff

Last edited by snaparen; 05-19-2013 at 10:07 PM.
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

The kp3 is NOT a cartridge valve. You want a standard sheridan seal kit. Also, it appears you are running compressed air, do you know your tank output? Also, you did shim the hammer spring, not the valve spring correct? Chances are, yes your hammer spring is a little worn out, but your velocity shouldn't go down if you shim it.

Edit: This is the kit you want. Even though it is for 12grams, you need the o-ring that it comes with for the chamber plug. So you need this kit versus the CA kit.

http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/seal-...ram-p-756.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Alright cool thanks for the info. The tank didn't say but I looked it up real quick, it's a Ninja 13ci 3000psi with an output pressure of 800-850 PSI; and yes it was the hammer spring, I have yet to buy the tool to get the valve out.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

And for the record, I ran a direct stabilizer off the front of the asa like you are planning. I never tried it with compressed air but with co2 it worked pretty well. I did have issues with liquid getting past it and giving velocity spikes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

1st. did the balls fit the barrel good? small balls will make it shoot slow.
you need .688++ for a good fit.

what to buy???
I suggest just a new hammer spring,drilling it out for a RVA(shims are a major pain in the *** for quick adjustment and this is a plus for resale value) and use CO2.
this should fix it.

you'll need to mod/tune the valve and body if you drop the air/co2 pressure.

Last edited by Brassballs; 05-19-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Brassballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yea balls were fine, I'm not getting any roll outs or anything, but I absolutely wont drill it. I would like to use CO2 seeing that's what the markers were designed to use, but my local field only has HPA.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

buy another trigger group slug that has a RVA to use.

have you tried using 12 grams?
Brassballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

The advices here are funny - just buy everthing new!

If you can dissasemble the gun just use weaker valve spring. You can even do some valve job.

Powerlets connected directly to valve chamber using "more dense" CO2, perhaps part liquid, part gas CO2. It is common have for 30-60 fps lower velocity when you use CO2 setup with good gas CO2 separation. With HPA you will imho get even lower velocities. You can dry use CO2 tank with siphon tube, but they are not common today and the setup what you have choosen is not optimal for liquid CO2.

BTW: every Sheridan is gas hog when he is not performance tunned.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan