mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

PMI piranha Long Barrel p-series

Just picked up my first brass gun from some Russian mafia-oso type character off canadia's cragislist for a whopping 50 bucks.

I got a lot of questions, diagrams? where to oil/lube? can i use grease and if so can i use the same grease as a phenom uses? How do i clean/ maintain something of this age and what should i be looking for as far as wear and tear? How do i adjust the velocity, is the knob at the back of the bolt a velocity adjuster? what kinda of parts can i get for this beast? bolts, should i upgrade the bolt? has anyone used freak inserts? etc...

chillyholediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB's Resident Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
diagrams? -Try Vintage Rex

where to oil/lube? -A drop or two in the ASA before gassing up, and a light coat on the bolt. No need to over-do it. I would however recommend that you disassemble and clean the thing first, and check seals.

can i use grease and if so can i use the same grease as a phenom uses? -not sure. Probably? But, it really isn't necessary to use anything other than oil. Silicon-based JT Fire is generally what I use, available at big box stores that carry paintball. Tituspb.com also sells a PB-specific oil.

How do i clean/ maintain something of this age and what should i be looking for as far as wear and tear? -It's probably a good idea to replace seals & springs, especially if you don't know when that was last done. Contact MaD (I think he sells kits on eBay, too). Palmers has all of this, too, but you will pay more. As for disassembly, check here, and also take a look at MaD's valve ID guide here. There isn't a straightforward step-by-step for CA guns (that I know of), but there should be a lot of similarities.

I don't know off-hand which valve this has. If the body says "P-series," then you have a non-cartridge older style valve and will need a Sheridan valve tool (Tituspb.com). If it says "PA-series" then you have the newer cartridge valve and will not need the tool.

How do i adjust the velocity, is the knob at the back of the bolt a velocity adjuster? -no, that knob is to release the pump handle. That's the "speed demon" bolt. If you pull the knob back (it is spring loaded), you can then pull the pump arm out the side. If this has a velocity adjuster, it will be a set screw in the ASA (remove the bottle and take a look). I don't think these actually had adjusters, however. If not, you adjust velocity by trimming the hammer spring (if too high) and/or adding/removing shims. Palmers used to make an adjustable ASA, or still does (call if you can't find it). Again, Palmers is expensive but in this case I don't know of any other sources for adjustable ASAs.

what kinda of parts can i get for this beast? bolts, should i upgrade the bolt? has anyone used freak inserts? etc... - Those rubber PMI grips are already a decent upgrade. Comb through Palmers web site. My first suggestions for any Sheridan upgrades are RVA & 12-gram fassst changer, but neither is applicable to constant air guns. You can get a Cooper-T bolt, you can replace the frame with an autococker slider frame and an adapter plate. You can ship it off to Palmers for a little TLC (check their "Services and Modifications" section). In my personal, humble, opinion, all this really needs is a detent system of some sort. I put one in my PMI-1DF just by dangling some fishing wire into the chamber. Works great and cost me nothing. Palmer's wedgits are popular, and if you're feeling adventurous, you can make your own.
2. Do not put any airsmith before the WALZ
3. Do not covet thy neighbors brass
4. Give a lot of cool **** to cool people for free
Feedback

Last edited by Axel; 11-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Can't quite read it but looks to be a p-series. Since only having seals and no valve tools was a pain, I did have some valve tools made as well so if you need one I would be one of the many options.

There is no velocity adjustment other than changing / modifying springs. You can do an RVA mod on those but it's a bit tricky. Someone here offers it as a service.... Walz or Chplnstone?

Freaking a sheridan is a complex process. It's been done a few ways but requires heavy modification of the gun including unsoldering the barrel.

There really isn't a better bolt option. Potentially a cooper-t but the speeddemon was a copy of the cooper-t so there's little difference in performance. A delrin verion may give you a little smoothness but not really worth hunting down and paying for IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

This was my 1st marker and I know everything about these beasts. No they didn't come with a velocity adjuster. I bought one , a long time ago, from Palmers Pursuit. It was completely worth it. Don't change anything about the barrel, as it is fixed. The Delrin bolt is the one you want. You need no grease, only oil
Kingofeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

This was my 1st marker and I know everything about these beasts. No they didn't come with a velocity adjuster. I bought one , a long time ago, from Palmers Pursuit. It was completely worth it. Don't change anything about the barrel, as it is fixed. The Delrin bolt is the one you want. You need no grease, only oil
Kingofeasy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan